ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
I-17 closed all day by brush fire at Sunset Point

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 6/21/2005, 8:25 am    Post subject: I-17 closed all day by brush fire at Sunset Point Reply to topic Reply with quote

azcentral.com wrote:
I-17 closed all day by brush fire at Sunset Point

Associated Press/The Arizona Republic
Jun. 21, 2005 08:25 AM

CORDES JUNCTION, Ariz. - Interstate 17 is expected to be shut down most of today due to a wildfire burning along the highway near the Sunset Point rest area.

Northbound Interstate has been closed since about 2:30 a.m. at Black Canyon City, 36 miles north of Phoenix. The southbound lanes were closed about 7 a.m. in the Bloody Basin area.

Arizona Department of Public Safety spokesman Officer Frank Valenzuela says they plan to keep the interstate closed nearly all day even though the fire moves away from the highway. He says that's because the highway needs to be kept clear for use by firefighters.

The closure of I-17 leaves motorists traveling between Phoenix and Flagstaff two alternate routes. One requires travel through Prescott and Wickenburg and the other requires travel through Payson.

The Sunset fire has charred 1,200 acres since breaking out Monday afternoon about 10 miles south of Cordes Junction.

On Monday, the brush fire licked the shoulder of I-17, forcing firefighters to have the highway closed in both directions for more than an hour so they could get better access to the flames. The closure caused a 10-mile backup for northbound traffic and a five-mile standstill on the southbound side.

It was burning just south of the rest area and had spread into a canyon east of the freeway, making access difficult for crews, said Glen Burkhardt, a spokesman for the Bureau of Land Management.

It did not jump the freeway, he said.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0621Fire-ON.html
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 6/21/2005, 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I saw the signs on the way home from work today. I was kind of shocked there wasn't a back up on the on ramp or anything, guess the word got out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: