ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Group Trip Breakdown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike t

PostPosted: 3/11/2003, 12:05 am    Post subject: Group Trip Breakdown Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was just reading posts and noticed sredfield's comments about an Arizona Trail hike not coming together and k9hiker's input about similar experiences. It got me to thinking because I just had a GC trip to Tanner canyon fall apart. Maybe we can share info on our experiences, see if there is a common thread (or not) as to why group trips sometimes don't work out, and kick around possible fixes. In my case weather and coincidence conspired against me. Initially an abundance of possible partners came down to only 2 actual commitments. Then, of those 2 partners, one had a last minute work issue that could not have been helped and the other had a bum knee that seemed to be worsening rather than improving over the 2 weeks prior to the trip. He had to make a late decision to not go. I still might have soloed if not for the snow. The trip was 3/3-3/6. The snow that was supposed to be over on 2/27 or 2/28 was still going strong on 3/1. As much as it pained me, I didn't think hiking an unfamiliar trail, in the canyon, in the snow, alone,would be a good choice. So that's my story. Anyone else?
azrocks

PostPosted: 3/12/2003, 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

One reason trips fall apart is that everyone knows the trip may not happen so
they make backup plans and choose at the last moment. I've found there are
a handful of strong leaders whose trips always happen. They send an email to
a target group about a month ahead and ask for committment, then reminders
weekly. Successful plans start out solid, with exact itinerary, time and place
to meet up, conditions under which it may be cancelled, list of required gear,
and a list of who is signed up. Some people fill in their calendar a year ahead,
and post in on the web. Given that most hikes are seasonal, it's surprising how
few slots are left open. What never seems to work is democracy - how about
a supes hike sometime - sure, which one - I don't know, we'll think of something.
Ultimately, nothing beats a best buddy as the reliable core of a hiking group,
but the more fun a buddy is, the more fun they are likely to be having.
How often do you read about a hike here and realize you were free that day
if only you'd known ? Hands up all those who did nothing special 3/3 to 3/6.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 3/12/2003, 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I used to get kind of bummed when these things fell apart on me. But over a few years, I've been the one who had to bail for unforeseen circumstances a few times, so I understand.

My preferences for arranging a group hike is a time and date to meet at a trailhead, then show up and find the group. I realize lots of people need lots of information and hand holding, for example, check out the Montanapalooza thread on thebackpacker.com. Something over 4000 (that's correct) posts before it happened. I was all set to go, and at the very last minute (food was packed!) a project at work went in the toilet and I had to go to AK.

What makes it work? Danged if I know, a great hike is one, definate plans are another, but I do like to get an idea of interest before setting a date. People don't seem to respond well to the indefinate stuff tho, as mentioned above. I have used the pancake thing successfully as a bribe for weekend car camps.

I don't make back up plans and choose, if I say I'm going I do all I can to make it, but I don't get psychotic if I can't make it due to kids or work or some other thing I didn't foresee. Many hikes that I committed to don't sound as good at 4 AM of the day they happen, but almost without fail they are worth it and turn out to be great trips.

We are doing a five day Thunder River trip this April, 15 people for 16 slots. All pretty strong hikers, not much hand holding required. I scared off a bunch with the 6,000 foot EC last day, although I believe its a bit less than that. And I go by the rule that everyone is self sufficent in gear and ability, if they want to share food and gear that is up to them but I don't arrange that stuff.

I fill out the calendar probably 2-3 months out for many things, I try to keep a few weekends open for hikes.

that's my $.02
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 3/13/2003, 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trip anixety ? Things can get done when you get back, Enjoy life. Regarding trip plans.

I image we all at some point have come across suggestions or have read an article regarding a destination that we ourselves would like visit. We plan, save the article but don't make the trip. Years ago I got this idea from a friend who while in the air force was assigned to a bomber crew with the Strategic Air Command. They would get sent aloft and open their mission plans and it would list the details of their mission and he incorporated this planning with his outdoor activities.

He would come across an article or an idea for a hike, camp or fishing trip and put together the plans and place them in the envelope and marked on the outside of the envelope the name of the nearest town and the length of the trip (one to three days). When time came for a trip and depending on the time available he would select a envelope and head off on his trip.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 3/14/2003, 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Of late some women I hike with have set up a Yahoo group for info so everyone can ask and answer questions and get to know each other. I have two hikes this year that are being handled that way.

I have organized a couple of group hikes and what I did was to make a group listing in my address book and ask everyone to hit reply all so info did not have to be repeated over and over.

I am willing to do lots to facilitate a hike. I have driven to Phx more than once to pick people up at the airport. I have had lots of folks stay over at our home to save motel bills and so on.

Group hikes are a whole bunch social so getting to know each other before a trip adds interest. Knowing some basics about the folks you plan to spend some time with is helpful. A short bio usually does the trick.

I'd go with you Shawn but I tried that once and my boyfriend who thought he could take it could not so I won't do that to him again since he is my very best friend Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: