ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Land swap pushed for new mine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 5/27/2005, 8:27 am    Post subject: Land swap pushed for new mine Reply to topic Reply with quote

It looks like this deal will go through eventually. There are pros and cons to both sides of the issue here but in the end I think big money will win.

From my email yesterday -
Quote:

[center:d5074c6e4a]Southeast Arizona Land Exchange and Conservation Act Introduced[/center:d5074c6e4a]

Introduction of the Southeast Arizona Land Exchange and Conservation Act of 2005 (SB1112 and HR2618). Introduced in both the United States House of Representatives and Senate on May 25, 2005, the primary sponsors are Jon Kyl in the Senate and Rick Renzi in the House. Senator McCain is an original co-sponsor in the Senate. Six of Arizonas congressmen are original co-sponsors in the House.

The Southeast Arizona Land Exchange and Conservation Act of 2005 conveys 3,155 acres of federal lands to the Resolution Copper Company and the Town of Superior in exchange for 4,814 acres of lands owned or controlled by Resolution Copper Company. The 4,814 acres of private lands include six distinctive and environmentally sensitive parcels. The legislation provides protection and conservation for these biologically diverse properties as well as the opportunity for improved public recreation and camping sites. The conveyance of these federal parcels to the United States enjoys support from leading environmental organizations including Audubon Arizona, Nature Conservancy, Sonoran Institute, Arizona Game and Fish Department and several other groups.

COMMENTS The company has worked closely with leading environmental groups and governmental agencies to thoughtfully assemble a land exchange package containing lands that are both environmentally sensitive, as well as those containing recreational opportunities, said Bruno Hegner, general manager of Resolution Copper. The Southeast Arizona Land Exchange and Conservation Act provides protection and conservation of biologically diverse properties as well as the opportunity for improved public recreation and camping sites.

By working together, we are able to help Superior diversify its economy," said Superiors Mayor Hing. "This land exchange is an important sign of good faith for our community because it will allow us to develop and expand the region's economy. We are landlocked by a National Forest, so this will be a great opportunity for us to help us to establish solid, good paying jobs for our community."

http://www.resolutioncopper.com/

From today's Republic -

Quote:

Land swap pushed for new mine

Plan aims to develop copper near Superior

Max Jarman
The Arizona Republic
May. 27, 2005 12:00 AM

Arizona lawmakers introduced legislation in the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives on Wednesday that would help pave the way for a new underground copper mine near Superior.

Versions of the Southeast Arizona Land Exchange and Conservation Act of 2005 were introduced in the Senate by Sen. Jon Kyl and in the House by Rep. Rick Renzi.

The act would convey 3,155 acres of federal lands to Resolution Copper Co. and the town of Superior in exchange for 4,814 environmentally sensitive acres owned or controlled by Resolution Copper.

Resolution's holdings include 3,073 acres along the lower San Pedro River in Pinal County, the 1,030-acre Appleton Ranch in Santa Cruz County and smaller sites near Superior and north of Phoenix.

"This land exchange is a perfect example of how we can combine environmental protection with economic growth in a genuine win-win situation," Kyl said.

Resolution needs the 3,155 acres of federal land for a copper mine it is proposing to develop east of Superior.

"Control of the surface is crucial to the development and operation of the safest mine possible," said Bruno Hegner, Resolution's vice president and general manager.

The land to be conveyed to Resolution is now used for recreation, primarily by rock climbers who, along with environmentalists, oppose the land exchange.

"From our perspective, there is nothing in the bill for rock climbers," said Jason Keith, policy director for the Access Fund, a non-profit Colorado organization dedicated to keeping climbing areas open. "It's disappointing."

The Access Fund and the local Friends of Queen Creek are leading the opposition to the land swap.

http://www.friendsofqueencreek.com/

GTG
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 5/27/2005, 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, we will always have U Turn. They can't take that away from us. Mr. Green
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 5/27/2005, 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What's U Turn?
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 5/27/2005, 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

think J-Lo, Sean Penn, director Oliver Stone. There are at least three famous movies filmed in the Superior area

what i do
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 5/27/2005, 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tim, you really ought to see that movie.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 5/27/2005, 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think I will now, although the plot kinda sounds dumb! But then again is there a movie with Jennifer Lopez that isn't?
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 5/27/2005, 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, Sean Penn makes an illegal U turn and goes into Superior where he decends into a sort of absence of reason. Don't forget Billy Bob Thornton as the "mechanic". There are a LOT of other known charaters in Oliver Stone's cast. It is a real weird movie, the kind I really like at times.

J-Lo plays the femme fatale. Joaquin Phoenix is the demented bully. There is a lot more. It is too crazy for some people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: