ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Swimming in the Superstitions!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 3/9/2003, 5:31 pm    Post subject: Swimming in the Superstitions!! Reply to topic Reply with quote

YES, I said it... swimming!! Arizonaheat and I strolled off this morning from the Peralta T/H more as a therapy hike for me, rather than our usual "kick-n-the-butt" style. I hadn't been out on a trail since January, and I told AzHt that I needed just a little leisurely, no big deal, more fun and relaxing type of hike to help motivate me back into the groove of hiking again... just a little something to get my feet wet!! Rolling Eyes No pun intended, but it sure is funny and fitting. Yes And wet we did...
We decided to go up Lower Barks Canyon so he could show me all the water there since our last visit back in January. It was amazing!! And once again, we found ourselves totally alone... not another soul in the canyon all day. He also took me up and into the mine shaft he had found on Friday. Except today, the mine had more than just bats in it. We startled a ringtail who more than likely has a nest back in there as it is during their mating season right now. So we turned around and let him get back to whatever it was he was doing.
We hiked more or less the whole entire lower canyon, or at least what had water running through it, and then decided to turn around. We made several stops along the way snacking, chatting, and listening (when I would stop talking, as Kent so keenly pointed out is a very rare occurance!! Laughing ) to the beautiful sounds of the waterfalls running off the rocks. On the return, we stopped at a water pool that he measured to be at least 6ft deep. We both looked at eachother and agreed that the opportunity to swim here would surely not come around again anytime soon. So, YES clothes and all, we jumped in!!!! Woo Hoo! Whooo, let me tell you... 50 degree water will absolutely take your breathe away for many seconds Eek (felt more like a whole minute!!). Once we were able to catch our breathe and recover from the shock, the water felt awesome. We swam a little, took pics, and then lounged like lizards on the warm rocks while the sun dried and burnt us. But neither of us could resist jumping in again. In fact, Kent went in a third time!! Silly It was so refreshing. We spent at least a good hour if not more there. All in all our 4 mile hike took over 7 hours!!
I can't tell you what an experience it was. There is nothing like it. Certainly one I will never forget. It was the perfect day... exactly what I was looking for. Thanks, Kent... you are a great friend. Ok

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 3/9/2003, 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I couldn't put it better if I tried. It was truly a great day, and yes that water definitely would take ones breath away. The top of my once lilly white feet are now a nice lobster red. Very Happy I would do it again in a heart beat, one couldn't ask for a more serene setting or more solitude. FANTASTIC. Jaimi are you sure you don't want to play hooky tomorrow? Yes

A quick note, while we were talking with the forest service guy after our hike telling him what we had done, he asked if we saw any snakes. We said, no, but lots of lizards so the snakes wouldn't be far behind. He said he had reports of three snake sitings today, so it is time to be on guard again.
plummer150

PostPosted: 3/9/2003, 7:13 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, now thats crazy! Silly I've never even done something like that while hiking. Maybe I should next time. However, that won't be happening anytime soon out here, it is finaly at least getting somewhat warmer out here though!
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 3/9/2003, 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://hikearizona.com/photocodeZOOM.php?ID=553&TNI=250
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 3/9/2003, 11:33 pm    Post subject: desert water fauna and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've seen lots of things in the water in the desert. Tadpoles, frogs, turtles, prehistoric shrimp, fish, etc. but never anything like these critters -
http://hikearizona.com/phoZOOM.php?ZIP=5347

"Don't get out of the boat man."

GTG
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 3/10/2003, 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

but never anything like these critters -

Quote:

"Don't get out of the boat man."

Amazed Amazed Amazed LOLOLOLOL Bouncing Bouncing Bouncing

Very funny, Todd!!!

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: