ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
VOAZ Fence Building

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 5/26/2005, 10:54 am    Post subject: VOAZ Fence Building Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks like there is still room on this project. FYI

May 28-31 - Boundary fence repairs and other habitat work at Hart Prairie Preserve near Flagstaff
Historic Cabins with a view across the prairie (meadow) to Mount Humphries await the lucky volunteers for this event (camping with access to toilets and showers is also an option). Most meals provided by VOAz. Fee ($35 per person for cabin occupants, $25 per person for campers) covers the cost of food provided by Chef Bob and his team. NOTE: As of May 10 all cabin space was filled. You may request cabin space, but be prepared to camp and pay only $25 at this time.

We will perform a variety of tasks that reflect the effects of our very wet winter. This will include resetting an electric elk barrier around a Bebb Willow stand (the local elk have been accused of eating new willow growth), clearing the perimeter of deadfall to create a fire barrier and prepare for additional controlled burns on the preserve, repairing existing fences and bringing them up to wildlife-life friendly standards, posting signs, and building and installing protective cages for you aspen (that's right, its the elk again). Easy to hard work.

The Hart Prairie Preserve of The Nature Conservancy is about a 3 hour drive from Phoenix. The last few miles are over good dirt road. Minimum age: 14. Maximum number of volunteers: 25. Reports and photos from previous events. Link to fact sheet and on-line registration

http://www.voaz.org/events/hart_prairie/20050528/fact_sheet.htm
Shawn

PostPosted: 5/27/2005, 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

"They stayed away in droves."

All the more for me! Enjoy your weekend everyone, be safe, I'm outta here!
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 5/27/2005, 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sredfield wrote:
"They stayed away in droves."

All the more for me! Enjoy your weekend everyone, be safe, I'm outta here!
Geez, Mr. S. Among other things (there was a slim chance I was going to Utah), I was trying to figure out how to make this. Darn! Sad

Anyway, Enjoy!

Check your Pmail.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Shawn

PostPosted: 5/31/2005, 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I could title this "An incredible and well-kept secret at Hart Prairie"

This was a (very well) organized group event with Volunteers for Outdoor Arizona. We were treated to a weekend at The Nature Conservancy’s cabins, lodge and hospitality at the western foot of the San Francisco Peaks. In return, we did a few hours of manual labor helping with maintenance. This trip included some “fuels treatment”—a deceptive forest management euphemism for hauling wood out of the trees and piling it up for a future controlled (we all hope) burn come first snow. My son calls is "farm boy" exercise.

I arrived Friday evening about 9:00 PM after chasing around Flagstaff forgetting things at one store and heading off to another. The welcome committee met me in the dark and directed me to a spot for the night.

Breakfast was at 7:00 the next morning, in the rustic main lodge. Several of the buildings are on the National Register of Historic Places. They date back to the homestead days circa 1890. The weather was cool, but warming quickly as the sun cleared the peaks. The view of the peaks from the front porch is to die for, and changes constantly. I felt more than well-paid for the work I did just looking at the peaks. By about 8:30 we were all organized and briefed on safety, the history of the preserve, the housekeeping, etc., and headed off across the meadow for work.

No way around it, fuels treatment is hard work. TNC staff used the chain saw; we hauled the logs and brush and piled it out from under the trees so it can burn safely without damaging any. Many hands make light work, and sections of aspen groves that were impassable with dead and down trees were soon cleared and almost park-like. Several of us volunteered to come back this fall for the big weenie-roast. (There’s a little pyromania is all of us.)

You shouldn’t work volunteers too long or too hard, so we broke for lunch around noon and walked back to the lodge for sandwiches, chips, drinks, fruit etc. A few hours toting and hauling work up the appetite, and we did the lunch justice. Then back for a few more hours of work. We knocked off at 3:30 and several of us made a bee-line for the shower cabin; what a treat to rinse off the sweat, dirt, and dust.

Happy hour with Mississippi caviar was next. As we all hung around the front porch snacking and watching the light rain, Mother Nature offered up a special treat. The sky darkened and a light rain picked up a bit. A bit of thunder rolled around the peaks and we watched the distant lightening. Then it wasn't distant, the flash and the crack were simultaneous, it hit very close. A bit later we found the bolt’s exit (or entry) point at the back door of the lodge. It had made a small hole and sprayed dirt all over the back porch. A bit of hail, a little more rain, then the show was over and the sun came out. It didn’t delay dinner--VOAZ goes over the top with the food, and this was no exception. Salmon, rice, beans, bread, salad, etc. etc. etc. All just great. Several of us foundered ourselves.

Day two was pretty light fare compared to the logging work. The deep snows on the prairie wreck havoc on the fences, and they need occasional maintenance. After breakfast we loaded up tools and equipment and headed off to the north boundary. The fences had to be disassembled, damaged posts replaced, wire stretched, and then all put back together. Since I was the only one who recognized the funny looking multi-purpose fencing tool, (remnants of childhood on the farm) I was appointed “expert.” Little did they know . . . . We did three sections of fence, totaling just a bit less than 1,000 feet. It was very rewarding to change the dilapidated pile of wire and posts to a tight, upright, functional fence. So nice to see the fruits of one’s labor. Everyone headed back to the lodge about 5:00 PM for another great meal-pasta, sauce, sausage, bread, salad, etc.

Monday morning was very light fare, breakfast, a few minor chores, light cabin cleanup, and then time to bail out. Some stayed on a day more but I had to return to reality.

A great trip for a good cause, I'll be back for more.

PS: My first photo album is up. Halleleja! I can do it!
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 5/31/2005, 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn, the entire experience sounds great! They are a great group of people to work next to, too! Thanks for sharing! Mary
Shawn

PostPosted: 6/1/2005, 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is the next event, how nasty can you handle?

July 30-31 – Return to San Pedro!

Cattail removal from native fish breeding pond at San Pedro River Preserve near Winkleman.

VOAz has deep roots in the lower San Pedro River Valley. This was the site of our first restoration project. It has been quite a while since we have been there. Nostalgic old-timers will not want to miss this opportunity. If you are a post-Sacaton VOAz volunteer, come see what all the fuss is about and meet the WIFL (pronounced "wiffle") Crew. These heroic young people camp their the entire summer while they participate in willow fly catcher monitoring. They welcome visitors from the outside world and are looking forward to a potluck diner with VOAzers. The water level of the pond will be drawn down and then we wade in with pruning nippers and cut of the cattails. Working in the water will compensate for the heat. Once the pond level is raised the submerged plants will die. This is necessary to protect the breeding beds for the native Razorback Suckers. Camping, kitchen for food prep, toilets and shower. More information to follow
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 6/1/2005, 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sredfield wrote:
This is the next event, how nasty can you handle?

July 30-31 – Return to San Pedro!
Sounds nasty enough for me... Smile

Below is for June 4th -
VoAZ wrote:
Date: June 04, 2005
Time: Please arrive by 8:30a.m. Saturday for volunteer crew assignments.
Check-in opens at 4p.m. on Friday, June 3. The work:
VOAZ and partners REI and Yavapai Trails Association will begin construction of a new trail in the Salida Gulch area of the Prescott National Forest. This 1.5 mile non-motorized trail will help protect endangered petroglyphs in the area and link to numerous trails and recreational opportunities in the area.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 6/13/2005, 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow Shawn,

Just checked out some of your pictures from the trip. I love the one with all the Aspen in full sun and shade on the mountain. Hope you don't mind but I have a new background for the desktop.

TIM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: