ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Alta Trail
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
cakewalk
PostPosted: 3/5/2003, 9:30 pm    Post subject: Alta Trail Reply with quote

I would like to form a group to do the alta trail in south Mountian Park.

The trail is 4.5 miles from end to end and not real difficult. We will start at the terminus of San Jaun road and work back to the Bajada trail head.

The elevation gain is about 1100 feet and we will gain all of it at once within the first mile and a half, then follow the ridgeline for a casual stroll and a mild descent back to the valley floor.

This will be a shuttle hike, we will leave a few vehicles on both ends.

Date is yet to be announced, ( I dont want to interfere with the Barnhardt Trail hike) If we can hit this one right, there will be an abundance of seasonal wildflowers.

Who's with me?

PostPosted: 3/12/2003, 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

some serious elevation gain

Sorry to sound like a wuss but would that compare to maybe Squaw Peak? I just need to be careful and don't want to hold anyone back.
cakewalk

PostPosted: 3/12/2003, 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Its not as rough as squaw peak - no switchbacks but I also wouldnt want you to hurt yourself.... As far as holding anyone back, it isnt a race, i need frequent rest stops, so do feel free to join us if you wish....

We could do the trail from the other direction, which is easier, more gradual uphill and the last mile or so is all downhill.

PostPosted: 3/12/2003, 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Since next week is spring break for my children I am sending some of them to various places (Utah, Colo., Calif) while I am at the Spa @ Desert Samaritan. Rolling Eyes They are leaving early. If they are off in time I will be there. What time are you looking at?
cakewalk

PostPosted: 3/12/2003, 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was thinking around 9 - but that is flexible - its should be a nice day - mid 80's
whatever is best for everyone.
cakewalk

PostPosted: 3/13/2003, 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Krysten ( and daughter ) are you still in? Daddee?

Anyone else? I will be at the bajada trailhead at 9am. I cannot do the loop, so we will have to leave my car there and shuttle to the terminus of the San jaun road.
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 3/14/2003, 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

9:00 am is too late for me to join. I really have to get on and hiking before 7:00 am - that gets me back in time to take care of the honey-do list and spend time with the Family. I would like to join you - but other priorities are stronger.

Sorry.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 3/14/2003, 1:23 pm    Post subject: Alta Trail Photos Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here are a few photos from a recent hike with my two youngest. We did the hike as an out and back since we didn't have an extra shuttle vehicle and the loop was two long for the younguns.

http://www.extremezone.com/~kurth/Alta/index.html
cakewalk

PostPosted: 3/14/2003, 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

those low clouds made for some excellant pics!
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 3/14/2003, 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice pics. Cute little yung-uns. Good thing they take after their mother....

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 3/14/2003, 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daddee wrote:
Nice pics. Cute little yung-uns. Good thing they take after their mother....

Yes they do, but they follow their dad.

PostPosted: 3/14/2003, 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

One of my daughters won't be leaving until noon. I won't be able to make it. Maybe I'll go it alone on Sunday Crying or Very sad
cakewalk

PostPosted: 3/14/2003, 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Previous message about me aborting this hike has been taken back -

I WILL be at the bajada trailhead at 9am.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 3/15/2003, 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cakewalk & I had a blast this morning! We decided to bushwhack a ridge west of the Alta Trail, up to the top. Along the way, we were lucky enough to see a pair of coyotes. One was just in front of us, maybe 20 yards away. It's mate was waiting on the other side of the large wash we were next to. She trotted off across the wash to join her mate, but they didn't seem particurally bothered by our presence. They were just as curious of us as we were of them. They probably wondered why we weren't on the trail! Crazy Lot's of wildflowers popping up out there, too! I'll post photos soon, probably tomorrow.

Cakewalk, thanks for not aborting the hike, I'm glad I finally had the chance to hit the trail (and off trail) with you!
cakewalk

PostPosted: 3/15/2003, 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree it was a lot of fun. We will have to do it again sometime, thanx for joining me Mike.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 2/27/2004, 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Finally decided to give the Alta trail a try and its pretty cool. Started at the trailhead at the end of San Juan Road and took the spur trail which begins at trail mile post #8. Followed the spur trail about 1/4 mile to the 2,600ft highpoint which is Maricopa Peak. This frequently used trail to the highpoint is not difficult with only a few spots of exposure but has some great views from the top. Anyone doing the Alta should checkout Maricopa Peak at least once.

I found the Alta trail pretty much void of other hikers as it was a weekday and I doubt as many people make the dry to this end of the park.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: