ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Reavis Falls
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
cactuscat

PostPosted: 3/9/2003, 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That really sucks, Mike! I was hating every minute of the climb back up from Reavis Creek - can't imagine doing it injured. Shocked Better luck next time!
ck1

PostPosted: 3/16/2003, 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We hit the falls today...started out at 8:30 with a decent size group, my buddy Tony and his wife and new dog came along, it was his first outing since his chemo treatments started, he did well, made it about 45 minutes down the trail, then they returned to the trailhead.

We were loving life, even on the downhill, cause the weather was holding, plenty of clouds, but no rain or wind. It was chilly, but perfect with the body heat increasing...

We got to that first creekbed, something "mine" creek I think, I'll look it up later...and there was just a few puddles, so I was worried that there would be no flow at Reavis...once we rounded the ridge and descended to Reavis creek, we were pleased to see a decent flow, nothing like the pictures from last weekend though....

Pat had had enough, so she sat out the bushwacking to the falls. My future brother in law and I continued on, and had similar dificulties crisscrossing the creek. Our dogs were loving the water, but once we got to the falls, they wanted to be finished. The flow was nothing like the pictures posted above, significantly less, no pool at the bottom, but impressive none the less. It was worth the effort.

As soon as we turned around, the weather gave in and started to rain. We got poured on the entire hike out. Rain, sleet/hail, wind, rain, rain, rain...it was crazy. The wind was blowing us back steps, so powerful...took a full hour and 15 minutes to go from creekbed to the gate on the ridgeline...

The weather got worse on the 1.5 hour walk back to the TH, thunder, lightening, rain in every direction. It was a crazy hike!

PS...when we got home and unload the xterra, my shoes had been sitting in the back, I pulled them out, there was an inch of water inside...everything was soaked, including us.

"The Journey is the Destination"
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 3/16/2003, 8:42 pm    Post subject: falls and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

I opted out of this last trip. Now I want to go slit my boot laces.

GTG
dennisbench

PostPosted: 3/16/2003, 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm plan on heading there tomorrow morning, hopefully this rain has pumped it up a little!
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
dennisbench

PostPosted: 3/17/2003, 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well...the rain was too much of a good thing. I arrived at the trailhead at 8:30 on a rainy morning. At the trailhead there was a group of a dozen or so hikers who were going in to perform trail maintenance for a few days. I talked to a ranger at the trailhead who said because of yesterdays rain it might be kinda iffy to get to the falls. I suited up with all my raingear and hit the trail. The Supes continue to amaze me, this part of the wilderness looks nothing like the western half, it looked more like the Mazatzals. The rain was a fairly steady rain at the beginning of the hike. At 3.25 miles and 1:05 into the hike I hit the spurt trail, which was a lot easier to find than I had expected. It was heavily cairned with probably 20 or so stones as was the trail. Mysteriously Diablo they were not there when I left. Man the desriptions don't lie when they say it goes down, down, down!! The trail was extremely muddy as would be expected and I slipped many times and had to get the mud off my boots often. As I descended it started to snow!!! The flakes barely made it to the ground and most didn't, this only lasted for about 5 minutes but was cool. There was still some snow left in places along the way. Once I hit the stream I started to head to the falls. Man this is crazy; jaggers,brush, trees, and anything else you can imagine in your way. Two different sections were precarious because of the water level, and made me think twice but I went ahead and made it without incident. My luck had run out though, I came to a part where I had three choices; turn back, scale an unscalable wall on either side of the water, or wade through water that looked to be almost waist deep for about 20-30 feet. Being alone, with muddy boots, and rain eliminated the walls from being safe. It was very chilly, which made for a nice hike, but would not have been good if I was soaked to my waist. So I made the sad Crying or Very sad decision to turn back. The climb back up to the top of the mountain was a heck of a climb!! I made it back to Reavis 109 and was greeted with small hail pellets for about 10 minutes. I hiked to remaining miles back to the trailhead. It rained the ENTIRE trip, which I thought was pretty fun! The trip was bittersweet, I like to accomplish what I set out to do, but the rational part of me won, which was probably a good thing. The trip was great overall what scenery, the clouds were hanging low, similar to cactuscats and azheats hike, and in some parts you couldn't see very far in front of you. BUT, hard hiking did not go without a waterfall in the end! As I made it to the end of the reavis trailhead road, then drove the 1 or 2 miles to the one lane bridge just before you climb the steep 2 miles out of the canyon I saw an incredible sight. At that point at the top of the mountain there was a notch. Through this notch a really good flow was coming out, which wasnt when I drove to the trailhead. It wasnt necessarily like Reavis when azheat made it there recently, but was flowing pretty good. i'd have to say it was at least 700-1000 feet from the top of the fall to the bottom a mere 30-40 yards from the road. Sweet!! This means I must hike back to the falls again, maybe next year. The positive thing is that I'ver been here just under a year and plan on living here the rest of my days, so I should have plenty more opportunities!! I should have pics sometime soon!!
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 3/17/2003, 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dennis sorry u didn't make it, but sounds as if u had a great time anyway.

The falls u describe on the way out are Arizonaheat Falls.

See pic and let me know if this was them

http://hikearizona.com/phoZOOM.php?ZIP=5212
dennisbench

PostPosted: 3/17/2003, 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah it was a great hike, anytime you get to spend 6 hours in the Supes with no one else around it can't be bad. Also it means I have to go back sometime, which isn't a bad thing either. Yeah those are the falls only they were flowing ALOT more than that pic, I should have the pics this weekend or so.
-Ed Abbey
plummer150

PostPosted: 3/17/2003, 10:19 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice, you finaly made it there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: