ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Peralta/Cave Trail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennisbench

PostPosted: 3/1/2003, 12:56 pm    Post subject: Peralta/Cave Trail Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great hike today, Daddee and I pulled into the peralta trailhead at about the same time at 7am. Thanks to daddee that was a perfect start time, as only 2 other cars were in the parking lot. It was a very cool morning with storm clouds threatening on the horizon. This was the first time Daddee and I had met and hiked together. Within the first 1/4 mile of the hike we noticed pools of water, and some water flowing. As we hiked on we saw endless streams of water cascading down the mountain. We passed multiple small waterfalls along the trail, and also hiked down to the water's edge in many places. It was a veritable oasis!! You could hear the roar of the water through the canyon a ways off. As we hiked on the views were incredible, especially for me, as I had never been on the Peralta trail before. Wow, the Needle is large from the saddle! We finally came to the saddle and hiked over to the lone tree at the edge, passing on the way a group of 10 or so that had been out for 10 days!!! Wow, 10 days right smack in the middle of the last 3-4 days of rain!!! We shortly came to the Cave trail portion of the hike. The way is marked pretty well in most areas and wasn't difficult to follow. As we headed on the cave trail we could see snow on the mountains in the distance, nice!! This part of the hike is amazing!! This is so much to discover and explore. The larger caves were really cool. At this point we got a few drops of rain on us, but that lasted only a few minutes. We also passed a little patch of grass growing sideways/upside down on a boulder. Descending the large rocks was fun as well, although the best part was looking back at where we had just come from!! Now we have to do it the other way. Nearing the trailhead we passed Scout Troop 72 from Tempe, and a few others heading in the opposite direction. We finished the hike in a little under four hours to a mostly full parking lot. Also passed about a dozen vehicles heading to the trailhead as we drove out. Overall a great hike with daddee, thanks for posting it!! Look forward to hiking with you again! My pics should be up mid-week.
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 3/1/2003, 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Everything Dennis said and more. That was a fabulous day. There was just so much water flowing down the canyon! Seriously - I've never seen anything like it before. I've hiked in the superstitions in rainy conditions before - but I've never seen anything like it. The canyon was literally a good sized stream. Amazing. The best part of the hike was that it just didn't seem like the superstitions - so wet and lush, really just gave it a totally different character.

Good times, good hiking and great fun. Dennis and I had a total blast.

Mike - you missed out big time.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 3/1/2003, 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Mike - you missed out big time.

I hear you, I wish I'd been there instead of sitting home feeling like... Wacko
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 3/1/2003, 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My wife is in the same boat. I hope I don't get whatever you guys have.

We missed you out there though. Although - I think half of the fun (in retrospect) was the fact that neithe of us was sure where we were going. Just plugging along for the sheer joy of discovery.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 3/1/2003, 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Next time, counter-clockwise. It's even more fun! Crazy
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 3/1/2003, 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That is EXACTLY what we were thinking! We ran across a couple of groups going that direction and it looked like fun. Excellent....

- Abraham Lincoln
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: