ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Good Place for Out of Town Flatlanders?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 3/21/2005, 3:47 pm    Post subject: Good Place for Out of Town Flatlanders? Reply to topic Reply with quote

My Dad and his wife are coming in town next week and I'm looking for a nice place to take them.

Here are some requirements:
1. Good Views
2. Wildflowers
3. Close to Phoenix
4. Not too long or difficult of a hike <4 miles
5. Dog Friendly
6. Hopefully not 1000 people, this will be a midweek hike.
7. I wouldn't even mind a little 4x4 fun!

I have never been to Hieroglyphics Trail and have heard that it is a great place for the out of towners.

I eagerly await your expert suggestions!
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 3/21/2005, 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Visit during the week and you can avoid the traffic heading out to the Renaisance. You can get to the trailhead by car and the hike is a little over a mile with a slight uphill rise.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 3/21/2005, 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If your looking for a scenic drive head out the Apache Trail through Tortilla Flat and down Fish Creek Hill to Roosevelt Dam. From there you can either loop back down 87 or through Globe, or turn around and come back, stop at Reavis Trailhead or Tortilla Trailhead for a short hike.

I was through there last Tuesday and it was awesome around the Tortilla Flat area. Driving into the Tortilla Trailhead will give you a 4 x 4 adventure and test your new jeep out.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 3/22/2005, 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tortilla TH will scratch a little "new" off that jeep. Lots of rubber left on the rocks there.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 3/22/2005, 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Depending on how much time I have we may venture out to tortilla flat but probably not the loop. I still have to work at night while there here and that would be about an all day adventure. I can get to Flag from my place in the same time it takes to go to Tortilla.

Where is the Tortilla Flat trailhead. I know where Reavis is from the North for comparison.

Not sure how difficult of 4x4'ing I want to get into without having much experience yet and being the only vehicle also.

TIM
roger

PostPosted: 3/22/2005, 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tim,

I went to Hieroglyphics several weeks ago and found it to be a nice (easy) trail. I think its about 1.5 mile each way. Nice and green there now.

Another thought would be Spur Cross Ranch in Cave Creek, very nice trail and you will hike along the creek (if still running)..nice for the dog.

Good Luck

roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: