ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
another boot question....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
just hikin'

PostPosted: 3/16/2005, 4:59 am    Post subject: another boot question.... Reply to topic Reply with quote

I can't seem to find boots either but for a different reason. I have long heel bones...actually it's like a protrusion but you can't get rid of it. It has a name but i've forgotten it.

Anyway, I've tried all sorts of boots and also heated the bootheals in hot water to reform them to my foot...still no use.

I've relegated myself to trail hikers with good success. Any thoughts on just bagging the search for a boot and living with trail hikers? I have never had any issues with ankle problems and have spent a limited amount of time in some rougher areas.

Any thoughts for or against?
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 3/16/2005, 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Don't argue with success.
mike t

PostPosted: 3/16/2005, 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trail hikers and sandals are the only way I'll go. There are differing opinions on this but mine is that what one needs is stronger ankles rather than the artificial "support" of a boot. If you have already been hiking around in trail runners you have probably already built up good strength in your ankles and thus your lack of problems with same. Personally I'll take the nimble agility of a lightweight trail runner over a heavy boot every time. I have hiked the Grand Canyon this way with as much as 45# packed on without a problem. My $.02.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 3/16/2005, 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I somewhat agree with Mike on this one. I love trailrunners and haven't had a problem carrying loads with them, I'm just tired of having to buy a new pair every 2 months. I just bought a pair of Asolo boots. Still breaking them in, completely different from a trail runner. They have actually made me slip a few times from not being nimble enough.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 3/16/2005, 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trailhikers are what I use for hiking and backpacking. I agree with Mike and Tim
just hikin'

PostPosted: 3/16/2005, 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks! for the positive responses. I was hoping that others had experience in difficult terrain in trail shoes with good results.

Looking forward to my brief stay out there in a couple weeks...
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 3/16/2005, 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

JH,

Sounds like your talking about plantar fasciitis or heel spurs. Custom orthotics would help you out immensely here but you need to see a DPM if this is the case. They fit inside your boots and take a lot of the pressure off your heels.

I'm sorry to say they are not cheap but you can fit them into any shoe/boot.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: