ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
FYI Buzzworms
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 3/13/2005, 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

emwade wrote:
Seen many and heard many over the years. I think the most unusual one I have seen was red like the color of Sedona but in the Phoenix area.

emwade
I went for years and never saw any, then hiking with HIG, I saw one almost every trek. Only saw one snake this year and no rattle-tails, yet.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 3/14/2005, 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I went out and did the boulder canyon loop from firstwater today (second water to boulder canyon to the dutchman trail). I thought for sure I'd run into a couple rattlers, but I didn't even see one. Must have been too cold last night and they couldn't get moving this morning.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 3/14/2005, 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Actually, I think they all drowned by now...

Shades
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 3/27/2005, 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
Actually, I think they all drowned by now...

Shades

Sorry HIG but I think they were waiting for me to get back on the trail! Razz

Decided to test out the ankle and did 3.5 miles in Usery from Meridian TH and around Cat's Peak. Saw my first out of the corner of my eye on Cat's Peak Trail as it headed into a grassy area about 7 feet from me but just caught a glimpse of the tail & rattle which looked to be about 2 inches long. It didn't make a sound but I accidentally kicked a rock when I stopped short and then it buzzed me. At least I SAW this one. Heard the next one a short distance up the trail (since they always seem to be in pairs) and this one scared the crap out of me since it was closer.

Looks like these warmer temperatures these past few days have really brought them out although maybe I shouldn't hike on March 27th anymore. I think it was on March 27th last year I did Weaver's Needle Loop and saw all those snakes!!!!

Snake

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 3/27/2005, 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trishness wrote:
Looks like these warmer temperatures these past few days have really brought them out

Time to head for the high country!
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 3/27/2005, 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Agree

Once I start seeing the snakes it's time to head for the Rim and points north. Dang....two of them today!!!

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
ghoster

PostPosted: 3/28/2005, 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yep, saw two yesterday, almost got too close to the first, second was crossing the trail ahead. Have to be careful now, with the flowers blooming there will be all kinds of people out looking, and with the snakes it will be time to be aware.
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 3/28/2005, 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was prepared to see one yesterday, but didn't. I know that I've likely walked past several without noticing, but I've offically seen only 2 rattlesnakes in all my trails. Both rattled at me. I've seen several other snakes out there, several scorpions, and a tarantula. I seem to see more big game.....big horn sheep (9 total so far), elk, and deer. Mary
emwade

PostPosted: 3/28/2005, 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Saw a rattlesnake on both days of the weekend. Second one was near Cave Creek, was very long (4 feet or more), definitely startled and within striking distance, but I got lucky. And also flew back the other way.
I have seen one every day I have been out in the last few weeks. Lucky me....
MW
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 3/28/2005, 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Did some crazy bushwhacking today at S.M. all I could think of was SNAKES Crazy but.... I got lucky and didn't see or hear any.

GB
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
PageRob

PostPosted: 3/28/2005, 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Only ratler's I've ever seen were on the road coming down from Morenci (bunch of bighorn sheep there too). One dead one in the road was enormous, at least as long as the lane was wide, and a live one slithering off the other side of the road.
So far I've been lucky, I guess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: