ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
FYI Buzzworms
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 3/9/2005, 6:52 am    Post subject: FYI Buzzworms Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just a reminder be on the look out for Buzzworms, saw a dead one on the road this morning so they are out.

Here is a link to my article about Buzzworms

http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1225&sid=3b1d0117d945df31b890c499076cae57
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 3/9/2005, 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

They already have little ones, been sent out to remove them.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 3/9/2005, 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Also massive swarms of killer african bees feasting on the wildflowers out in this neck of the woods.
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 3/9/2005, 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just thought I'd pass this along... the DOs and DON'Ts of treating a snakebite, just in case:

1. Don't know if it was a rattlesnake bite? Look for symptoms--fang marks, pain, swelling, nausea, weakness, rubbery taste in the mouth, black and blue discoloration of the bitten area within a few hours.

2. Wash the rattlesnake bite with soap and water.

3. Keep the bitten area still. You can immobilize the area with an improvised splint made from a board, magazines, or other stiff material tied to the limb. Don't tie it too tight---you don't want to reduce blood flow.

4. Keep the area of the rattlesnake bite lower than the heart.

5. Place a constricting bandage between the rattlesnake bite and the heart, as near as possible to the bite.

6. The constriction should be loose enough to permit a finger to be inserted between the constricted extremity and the bandage.

7. Go to a hospital immediately.

8. If you cannot get to a hospital, call the Arizona Poison Control and Drug Information Center at 1-800-362-0101 immediately.

Tips:

1. If bitten by a rattlesnake, DO NOT use ice to cool the bite.
2. If bitten by a rattlesnake, DO NOT cut open the wound and try to suck out the venom.
3. If bitten by a rattlesnake, DO NOT use a tourniquet. This will cut off blood flow and the limb may be lost.
4. Avoid rattlesnakes altogether. If you see one, don't try to get closer to it or catch it.
5. Keep your hands and feet away from areas where you cannot see, like between rocks or in tall grass where rattlesnakes like to rest.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 3/9/2005, 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK...whose hiking with me this weekend?

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 3/9/2005, 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Arizonaheat wrote:
Also massive swarms of killer african bees feasting on the wildflowers out in this neck of the woods.
Cool Bro, as we sat eating our oranges today, before/above LaBarge creek, they just kept stopping by!

But we washed in the drainage pools and they left us alone. My worst nightmare is to meet a swarm out there just after I've eaten an orange. OMG!

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
paintninaz

PostPosted: 3/10/2005, 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trishness wrote:
OK...whose hiking with me this weekend?

Mr. Green

Uh.......................... Eek

Me? Shocked (gulp)

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 3/10/2005, 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

My worst nightmare is to meet a swarm out there....

Me too, that weighs heavier on my mind than rattlers for sure. We saw a swarm when coming across the Ridgeline and just stepped aside as they past. Whew!!! If we wouldn't have seen them coming and ended up in the middle of that mess it would have been all over for the three of us
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 3/10/2005, 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Uh..........................

Me? (gulp)

Don't worry Tracy! What can go wrong when you are hiking with the Snake Charmer Shocked Shocked
paintninaz

PostPosted: 3/10/2005, 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Arizonaheat wrote:
Quote:

Uh..........................

Me? (gulp)

Don't worry Tracy! What can go wrong when you are hiking with the Snake Charmer Shocked Shocked

EXACTLY! Snake

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 3/10/2005, 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here're some tips for Africanized Honey Bees:

# DO have an escape plan in mind if a bee attack occurs.

# DO wear light-colored clothing. Not only around your home, but when hiking or visiting unknown areas

# DO NOT wear floral or citrus perfumes or after shave lotion when doing yard work or hiking.

# DO NOT panic every time you see a few bees in some flowers. Bees are very important and productive insects (when they are not attacking!) which is why there is no wholesale program for destruction of bees.

If A Bee Attack Occurs

Even if you follow all the above mentioned tips, a bee attack can still occur. Here is what you should do:

# Quickly get into a house, car, tent or other enclosure. Close any doors or windows. (Space blanket/bag would probably be a good defense. )

# Do not jump into the pool. The bees will wait until you surface for air to attack.

# If you are attacked by bees, run away. Don't play dead or swat at the bees. Most people can outrun the bees, but you might have to run a few blocks.

# Protect your face to prevent stings to the eyes, nose and in the mouth. Bees attack where carbon dioxide is expelled. Facial stings are much more dangerous than stings to the body. Pull your shirt over your head if no other protection is available.

Once you are away from the bees, evaluate. If you have been stung, follow these tips:

1. Stay calm and get to a cool, indoor location.

2. If you receive more than 10 or 12 stings, or notice any symptoms other than localized pain, itching or swelling, seek imediate medical attention.

3. Keep the affected area below the heart.

4. If the stingers are still in the skin, gently remove them with your fingernail, a credit card or blunt knife.

5. Do not squeeze the stinger with your fingers or tweezers. The venom sac will still be attached, and if you squeeze it more venom will be injected.

6. Apply cold compresses to relieve pain and swelling. Do not apply ice directly.

7. Itching should subside within a few hours. If itching persists beyond a couple of days, or if you appear to be having some sort of allergic reaction, see a doctor.

8. Symptoms of an allergic reaction include burning and itching, body swelling, body rash, difficulty breathing,weakness, nausea, shock or unconsiousness.

9. If you know that you are allergic to bee stings, consult your doctor about a preventative anti-venom first-aid kit.

10. If you see someone else being stung multiple times, call 9-1-1.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 3/10/2005, 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good tips, but being in the wilderness is a totally different circumstance.

Unlike honey bees that will only chase you for a few hundred yards, the Africanized bees we have will chase for half a mile or so, making out running them impossible, especially over rocky terrain like is found in the Supes.

There has already been two deaths. One an adult female, the other a male adolescent. The adult female was withing feet of shelter at home but unable to make it, her husband survived.

Get attacked out in the Wilderness and you are basically S.O. L. regardless of what you do.
Daryl

PostPosted: 3/10/2005, 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Few more tips, when running away, run with the wind at your back if you can. They utilize scent to know what to sting and running with the wind at you back will eliminate their ability do so. Also, start running right away after you get stung the first time. Don't wait for a second sting, and don't run before there is reason to run.

Also note, I've heard they will bump you before they attack. They actually fly into you. If this starts to happen, it's them telling you to leave or else...

But, in most cases you have nothing to worry about. Don't mess with them and they will usually not mess with you. One summer there was a hive near our house and they would come to our pool to get water. All summer we had 5-10 bees at our pool at any given time and we continued to use it. No one ever got stung.

PostPosted: 3/13/2005, 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

thesuperstitions wrote:
Just thought I'd pass this along... the DOs and DON'Ts of treating a snakebite, just in case:

7. Go to a hospital immediately.

This should be the number 1 priority without question.
emwade

PostPosted: 3/13/2005, 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi gang: Just saw out of the corner of my eye Crazy inches off the trail and Definitely heard my first rattlesnake of the season up near New River yesterday. Scared They are out and about and I am sure quite hungry...Guess it figured the dog I had with me was more trouble than it was worth....thankfully.

Seen many and heard many over the years. I think the most unusual one I have seen was red like the color of Sedona but in the Phoenix area.

emwade
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: