ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Quartz Peak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
cakewalk

PostPosted: 2/22/2003, 4:17 pm    Post subject: Quartz Peak Reply to topic Reply with quote

Group hike with srlatty and dennisbench

Ascended to the top in about 2 1/2- 3 hours
about 90 minutes down

Trail is loose and gravely - access road was a little sandy, not too bad for a 4x4 or a jeep.

Weather was perfect blue sky and a nice breeze

Saw 4 other hikers besides ourselves
dennisbench

PostPosted: 2/22/2003, 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cakewalk, Srlatty, and I started out on the trail at 9:00 on a beautiful morning. As the trail decription on HAZ says, this hike just goes up! Within the first mile we had climbed about 1000 feet! Trail was very loose. A slight breeze gave us a needed help on the way up. Once you get to about a half-mile from the peak you start to rock hop the way up. Although there isn't a "trail" at this point, there still is a pretty distinct path all the way until the last short climb up the quartz rocks. The views from the top were wonderful! Squaw Peak and Camelback both look like small bumps on the landscape. South Mountain also looks very small from this perch. We also thought we could see Pichacho Peak, not sure though. It turned out to be a pretty clear day, and the temps were incredible. Although I did get a little sun. The hike down really works those little used muscles, as it just keeps you headed down with very few flat parts, especially with the loose footing. Overalll a great hike and a chance to meet some of my fellow arizonazhikers!! Thanks guys!
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
srlatty

PostPosted: 2/22/2003, 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cakewalk and dennisbench said it all! Weather was perfect as were the views from the top. Good hiking with you guys! We'll have to do it again.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 2/22/2003, 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I thought of you guys over there, I was doing So. Mtn with 5,000 of my closest friends -- Climb to Conquer Cancer. This was their 20th year, my eighth. When we got up high enough Quartz Peak was pretty clear. As you said, a beautiful day to be out and about.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 2/22/2003, 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, I thot about you guys too as I was putting my nose to the grindstone. I much rather would of wanted to be on Quartz Peak today. Glad to hear you guys had a good climb. Anybody take pics?

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2

PostPosted: 2/23/2003, 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glad you all had a good time. Hopefuly I'll be healed up in time for the next one. Looking forward to some pic's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: