ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Reavis Ranch/Circleston Group Backpack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 2/17/2003, 10:25 am    Post subject: Reavis Ranch/Circleston Group Backpack Reply to topic Reply with quote

Our convoy departed from Queen Valley Road and I60, participants were CatValet and Valet2, Mike T, GTG, Desert Dweller ( all the way from Tucson), AzHiker96, Desertgirl, her dog Silver and friend and Arizonaheat.

The trip into Rogers Trough Trailhead was worth the price of admission. The desert was as if it had been reborn from the rain. You could feel it bursting out with a giant smile on its face, saying look at me. Clouds hung low around rocky escarpments, putting on a visual display one seldom gets to see in the desert. Then to tease ones senses even further the sun would break through casting it rays on the desert below creating a dazzling display of various reds, browns and greens as it reflected off the deserts flora and the mountainous rock outcroppings of the Superstitions. It was truly a sight to behold and gave one a true sense of tranquility and contentment, for this is what nature and the earth are all about.

We made it to the Rogers Trough Trailhead without difficulty. The road held up very well. We had to cross one flowing wash. The worst section of road was right before the trailhead, in which a fairly good mud hole had formed.

We gathered our gear, stripped down to shorts and T-shirts and were soon on our way to Reavis Ranch via the Reavis Ranch Trail. This entire section of trail is part of the AZ Trail system. The first part of trail follows along Rogers Trough Creek and crosses it several times. There was a nice flow of water in the creek. Wee continued following the trail past the junction of the Rogers Canyon Trail ( takes you to Rogers Canyon Cliff Dwellings and Angel Basin) into Grave Canyon. Grave Canyon is where Elisha Reavis is buried. I missed the spur trail leading to his grave on the way up, but found it on the way down and stopped to pay my respects.

Shortly after the spur trail leading to Reavis Grave the trail begins a fairly steep climb up a series of switchbacks to Reavis Saddle, where it was time for a break and something to eat. It is approximately 3.5 miles to this point, which is a little over half way to our destination Reavis Ranch. From this point to Reavis Ranch the trail levels out somewhat and is easy traveling. The desert flora also changes at the saddle from Manzanita to Ponderosa Pine and large Juniper. It is as if you enter a different world. The trail passes by a giant Alligator Juniper that stands in a class all its own like the 57 arm saguaro off Bluff Springs.
As one continues own the trail begins following Reavis Creek, which had a nice flow and was absolutely beautiful.

We soon arrived at Reavis Ranch, set up camp, explored the area checking out the artifacts, strolled through the apple orchards and had a great game of Frisbee, and gathered some firewood. We spent a pleasant evening around the camp fire telling tall tales and partaking in liquid refreshment. We also conducted some scientific experiments to see which type of imbibment created the most colorful flame.
We also watched as the full moon made its debut over the horizon illuminating our surroundings. Despite the brightness of the moon we still had a good view of the stars.

We eventually made it to bed where we were serenaded throughout the night by the sounds of a snoring bear ( I won’t tell who it was LOL). We awoke in the morning to a balmy 27 degrees and a visit from Jack Frost. We all ate breakfast, pumped water out of Reavis Creek and prepared for our day hike to Circlestone.

We were soon off on our trek to Circlestone which is about 7 miles round trip from Reavis Ranch. Circlestone is an absolutely awe inspiring destination offering up some of the best if not the best views in the entire Superstitions. From Circlestone you probably have about a 300 degree panoramic view for miles and miles. Include the fact that the air was crystal clear from the recent rain and we were treated with a real bonus. You would have to see it to believe it. A definite must see.

It was soon time to make it back to camp, pack up and head out. Three of our party spent a second night while the rest of us hiked on out making for about a 14 mile day. Azhiker96 and Arizonaheat were back at the trailhead around 5:30 or so. On my way out I was treated by a magnificent sunset and a spectacular yellow full moonrise topping off a wonderful time. Nature truly is grand!
Desertboots
Applecart Overturner

PostPosted: 2/17/2003, 12:06 pm    Post subject: Great trip log Reply to topic Reply with quote

Gee whiz, that sounded great. I wish I would have gone now. i wanted to but I had other plans that turned out to fall through at the last minute. so I ended up doing nothing all weekend.

But, I intend to do this next month sometime.

-=db=-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cactuscat

PostPosted: 2/17/2003, 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like a great trip, alright! Sorry I missed it, but I'm glad you all had a good time. Mr. Green
mike t

PostPosted: 2/17/2003, 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thought I'd post some pics from the trip. I'm trying something new so I hope this works. Let me know if not. http://community.webshots.com/user/miket2003
dennisbench

PostPosted: 2/17/2003, 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great pics, miket. great writeup arizonaheat!! sounds and looks like it was a great trip. i'll forward to doing one with you guys in the future.
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 2/17/2003, 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike those are awesome photos! Arizonaheat, I saw your's on HAZ, and they're great shots, too! Sounds like y'all had a nice trip!
plummer150

PostPosted: 2/18/2003, 6:49 am    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow! Sounds like an awesome trip there! I love overnite camping trips. They're so much fun- as long as it's somewhat of a long hiking trip! Great pics by the way. I'll have to get around to doing that one sometime. Exclamation
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 2/18/2003, 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice pics Mike!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 2/18/2003, 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great write up & Pics. The trip was outstanding..Thanks CatValet for all the legwork for the prep - Checking out the weather & the roads
desert dweller

PostPosted: 2/18/2003, 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks, folks. I had a good time.

This was the largest group hike I have been a part of in over 15 years. I had forgotten how fun it could be. It was also great to see how minimal our impact was.

Next time maybe some place in southern Az. I have a couple in mind and will work up something soon.

dd
Nealz

PostPosted: 2/24/2003, 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Boy, does that sound like a good time. I'm even more sorry I missed this trip now. Reavis and Circlestone are favorite spots of mine. I've started a new job, and after almost two years of joblessness, I've been pretty busy - no time to hike or net surf. Hopefully things will ease up a tad in the future. Take care.

-Nealz
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 2/24/2003, 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Neal--Cool you have a new job. Tell details when you have time and the spirit moves you Smile Mary
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 2/26/2003, 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice pics Mite t. Thanks for sharing them.

I have not been on a backpacking trip since December of 2000 and highly miss it.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: