ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Chapter 11 for Popular Outdoors
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
paintninaz

PostPosted: 1/19/2005, 2:36 pm    Post subject: Chapter 11 for Popular Outdoors Reply to topic Reply with quote

Remember the BIG sales??? Here's the story from today's AZ Republic...

http://www.azcentral.com/business/articles/0119popular19.html

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
desertgirl

PostPosted: 1/19/2005, 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bummer ....I usually found cost effective deals there on the more common stuff and they were always available for last minute things in Flagstaff. Is that store shuttered ?
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 1/19/2005, 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://www.popularoutdooroutfitters.com/core/locator_state.asp?state=AZ

Chandler, Mesa, Flagstaff, Prescott and Tucson have stores open aparrently.

GTG
Glitter

PostPosted: 1/19/2005, 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The closest one to my house in Ahwatukee just closed it's doors, pretty sad. I guess I will have to do everything online now.
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 1/19/2005, 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glitter wrote:
The closest one to my house in Ahwatukee just closed it's doors

not quite as convenient but better than nothing:

Cross Roads: NW corner of Alma School & Warner
2050 N. Alma School
Chandler AZ, 85224
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 1/19/2005, 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Was in the Mesa store at McKellips between Higley and Recker. They have a sign posted saying "WE ARE NOT CLOSED".
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/19/2005, 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
The recent rain and snow should improve the situation this year, he added. He said the company hopes to make more sales from its Web site, www.popularoutdooroutfitters.com

Have you all seen the website? It's pretty poor. I think they had better plan on a major revamp of that too.

I knew something was up with them. Glad they're keeping the Mesa stores open for now.
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 1/19/2005, 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Cross Roads: NW corner of Alma School & Warner
2050 N. Alma School
Chandler AZ, 85224

I live very close to this store and it has always been a source for me, so... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy . It is a very nice store with a good staff.
Sunhiker, I can be delivery service for you if you ever need it Wink
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/19/2005, 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
Bummer ....I usually found cost effective deals there on the more common stuff and they were always available for last minute things in Flagstaff. Is that store shuttered ?

DG,

I was in Flag this past weekend and that Popular was still open and well stocked.

They were having a 50% off on selected WINTER items only.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
HUM469

PostPosted: 1/20/2005, 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

All the remaining stores in substantially the same part of town? And more importantly, in an area already served by the competition? I fear they are flailing and this won't save them. Everyone I know who is into the outdoors in the north, central, and west parts of the valley is now shopping at the Hiking Shack or REI exclusively. Having to drive way east into Mesa or even further out to Chandler completely defeats any advantage that Popular used to have over either of those two. Namely convenience of location, and lower cost.
Real Estate Executive to AZ
Special Projects Manager, AZCDE.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 1/20/2005, 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Quote:
The recent rain and snow should improve the situation this year, he added. He said the company hopes to make more sales from its Web site, www.popularoutdooroutfitters.com.

Have you all seen the website? It's pretty poor. I think they had better plan on a major revamp of that too.

Every time I click to purchase something, it says to visit my local store. Hmm.

GTG
Daryl

PostPosted: 1/20/2005, 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

They don't sell anything through their web site. To me that is just plain stupid. Spend a couple thousand dollars on a web site that can sell your product and sit back and collect the profits.

I'd love to see the percentage of REI's sales that are done over the internet. I'd bet it's close to 50%.
I buy most of my gear on line. It's usually cheaper and I don't need to drive all over town.

PostPosted: 1/20/2005, 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daryl wrote:
I'd love to see the percentage of REI's sales that are done over the internet. I'd bet it's close to 50%

The great thing about ordering from REI.com is that you can have it shipped to the store. That way you don't have to pay for shipping and you can try out the product in the store. If for some reason it doesnt suit your needs, they'll refund your money right there. I did that when I bought my new pack. Hiked around the store a bit to make sure it fit well.

Popular was great for the little things and sale items. I got both my Merrell trail shoes and my Eureka Solitare there for around $40 each. I will truely miss there great deals.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/20/2005, 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daryl wrote:

They don't sell anything through their web site. To me that is just plain stupid. Spend a couple thousand dollars on a web site that can sell your product and sit back and collect the profits.
You're right Daryl.

I bought 2 pairs of convertible pants this weekend from reioutlet.com, using REI gift cards. I received an email today letting me know the order shipped and I'll receive another when it arrives at the PV REI store. There was no cost for delivery, I can pick it up on my own schedule, and I got 2 pairs for a little more than I would've paid for one pair in the store at regular price.

If Popular did all that, I would probably consider buying from their website. As it is now, I'd have to drive to Chandler or Mesa since the store in NE Phoenix, that was only a few miles from me, is now closed. It's just not worth it for me.
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 1/20/2005, 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

If for some reason it doesnt suit your needs, they'll refund your money right there.

I had just ordered two different sleeping pads, had them shipped to the store and then decided which one I liked best. They just refunded the other one. When I was there, a guy returned some climbing shoes he had worn several times and changed his mind. No receipt, no questions asked, they refunded him the full amount in cash. I thought that was exceptional.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: