ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
White Tanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennisbench

PostPosted: 2/15/2003, 3:58 pm    Post subject: White Tanks Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just got back from a stroll through the White Tanks. It was the first time I have been there. Hooli, since you live out that way, I was wondering how often you go there? Also I saw from the trail map that only a portion of the park has trails. What's the deal with that? It says to please stay on the trails, I assume that means no off trail hiking? It seems like a large place, but only that east part is hikeable. The reason I ask so many questions is that I'll be moving out to El Mirage this May, so i will probably go there often, once I move.
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
evenstar

PostPosted: 2/15/2003, 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dennis, I've hike every trail out there at least once. Done a Ford Canyon, Willow Canyon, Coat Camp loop several times. Same with the Goat Camp, Ford Canyon, Willow, Goat Camp loop. When I first moved here in April '01 and was looking for someplace to hike, White Tanks was all I knew about. Haven't been there for a while 'cause found the hiking areas around Sedona, Payson, and of course the Canyon, which is hard to beat.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
dennisbench

PostPosted: 2/15/2003, 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, right now I live near the Phoenix Preserves, so when I don't have a lot of time I go to a trail there. I figure it will be nice to have the White Tanks so close, so I can go there if I don't feel like driving far. I just wonder why there aren't trails on the west half of the park.
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
evenstar

PostPosted: 2/15/2003, 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm not sure how far west the park boundry is. If the trail map shows the whole park, then the western sections of the Goat Camp and Ford Canyon trails aren't very far from the western boundry.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
dennisbench

PostPosted: 2/15/2003, 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well I just called over and asked why. The guy said that it is basically because it is harder to get to because there aren't really any roads going on that side. I asked if off trail hiking in that part is allowed and said that they "prefer" you stay on the designated trails. Although he did say at times hunters go on that side, so I took that to mean that you could got to that side if you really wanted to without going against the rules. He basically said that with the amount of visitation, especially with families and people who don't hike much that its better for the park, so theres not tons of people over there getting lost or whatever. Also its about 7 miles east to west, and the ford canyon and goat canyon go about half way east to west. Thats seems to me to leave a good amount of space to explore.
-Ed Abbey
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 2/17/2003, 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have been curiouse about the white tanks. I just think that if I was going to do then i would not be able to resist the temptation of getting off the trail and heading up to the top of one of the peaks. Smile

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
ck1

PostPosted: 2/17/2003, 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Syd Hays might have some knowledge of the western half of the park...I wondered the same thing, about why there aren't trails over in that section...glad you asked about it...

"The Journey is the Destination"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: