ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
XANGO - Mangosteen Dietary Supplement
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is Xango the next cure all?
Hype
82%
 82%  [ 19 ]
Healthy
17%
 17%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 23

sherileeaz

PostPosted: 1/16/2005, 8:32 pm    Post subject: XANGO - Mangosteen Dietary Supplement Reply to topic Reply with quote

You are probably wondering why I am having a poll here on this topic, but I feel that so many of you are health conscience that you may know more about this revolutionary dietary supplement then I'm finding on the web.

Here is the link to their website:

http://www.mymangosteen.com/profit/

The brochures "they" give out claim that it will help so many ailments, yet on the bottle it doesn't have any nutritional value.

Supposedly the mangosteen fruit is an exotic fruit that has xanthones in it that help rid free radicals.

Now for the price, $35 a bottle!!! Crazy They recommend 1 - 3 ozs per day.

I am very curious what everyone thinks about this.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/16/2005, 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Does this have any label on it at all? I'd question anything that has no nutritional label.

How can they market this?

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/16/2005, 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://chetday.com/mangosteen.htm
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 1/16/2005, 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mike wrote:
http://chetday.com/mangosteen.htm

That's exactly what I was looking for.
The person distributing is a co-worker, which I find unethical.
Her profit is at least $10 a bottle.
She brought in pictures of how it changed her life.
Being in the teaching profession, I find it in extremely poor taste to profit from an already underpaid profession and to use propoganda to benefit her own cause--a get rich scheme.
And can this backfire, yes! Three of my fellow co-workers who were on Xango miscarried within a 1 month time frame, December. Those odds seem "odd" to me.
Is Xango responsible if it's what it claims but maybe should have a disclosure for pregnant women. BUT, if it's just fruit juice then in my opinion the gov't should step in-fraud for saying a dietary supplement.

Thanks Mike for the website link.

Obviously my opinion is "hype" but I'd like to hear from others.
Anyone with an opposing viewpoint?

Sheri
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 1/16/2005, 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trishness wrote:
Does this have any label on it at all? I'd question anything that has no nutritional label.

How can they market this?

Mr. Green

There is another product being sold on Ebay that claims it's better than Xango, that's because it added vitamins and minerals and lists them, but when it comes down to the mangosteen, it's the little cross that indicates no data.

What is the saying:

BUYER BEWARE!!
Hnak

PostPosted: 1/17/2005, 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My first thought was - 'Snake Oil'..

I tend to think that things that sound too good to be true, often are just that. It doesn't hurt to do some investigation, and the link that Mike posted seems to have some more factual information.

I liked a couple of quotes from that article...

A March 2004 press release from one seller proclaims: "Mangosteen is now on an unstoppable march to conquer the world" (Goss 2004). Put this way it sounds rather ominous…almost like a cross between Osama bin Laden and the Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.

"In my opinion, what we have here is simply an overpriced fruit drink."
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 1/17/2005, 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A few years ago, my wife bought something similar to this and took it all the way to China to her father who was dying of cancer. The stuff she bought made wild claims about how users had been cured, etc. My wife was desperate, so she grasped for anything that could help her father. Of course, it didn't help, since it was only fruit juice.

I just find the marketing of this kind of product despicable since the marketers are preying upon the fears of people who are so desperate for a magic remedy. The tip-off is, as mentioned by others, that there is no hard evidence or statistical analysis relating to the effectiveness of the product. Those among us who are in dire situations will always grasp for straws and keep bottom-feeders who peddle this "snake-oil" in business. Sad, but the unfortunate truth.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 1/17/2005, 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tomatoes are a powerful oxidizer. Men who ate spaghetti sauce a couple times a week had IIRC 50% less prostate cancer in their group than men who didn't. The more frequently they had tomatoes or a sauce made from them, the lower the incidence was so have some ketchup on that hot dog Mr. Green . This can go for any vitamins as such from a food source. Many of the vitamins in vitamin form were found to be worthless for oxidation in the real world body. Now I take a good multiple with trace minerals just in case (okay, I'll cop to a bit of grapeseed extract as well) but I bet my health on a healthy diet of lots of seafood and veggies and fruit.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 1/17/2005, 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The "suppliment" industry is huge, powerful, and supported by millions of Americans. These things do not have to have any proved value. They know all the weasel words and use them in their advertising. There are howls of protest every time the government tries to contain this stuff. People complain that the government and the medical lobby are trying to keep them away from a cheap and natural cure.

Darwin was an optimist.
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 1/17/2005, 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glen- I agree that a good nutritional diet of a variety of healthy, vitamin-rich foods is essential to keeping the furnace burning at high efficiency, and indeed, some studies have shown that long-term ingestion of certain foods seems to help ward-off major diseases. It's the weasils that market the quick-fix-for-what-ails-you types that prey upon the weak that disgust me. While the fruit juice may actually have vitamins and minerals that are consistent with a healthy diet, it's the marketing practices that are the loathsome part of the equation.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 1/17/2005, 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Agreed Ken, they prey on one's dreams.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 1/17/2005, 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I only know of one XANGO- its 1.5 oz Rum, 1/2 oz Triple Sec, Splash grapefruit.
how could a product or company steal a name that has been used for a cocktail for at least 20 years?

what i do
DesertRoux

PostPosted: 1/17/2005, 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mikeinFHAZ wrote:
how could a product or company steal a name that has been used for a cocktail for at least 20 years?

Sounds like my diet......booze. Laughing
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 1/17/2005, 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mikeinFHAZ wrote:

Now that's my kind of diet supplement!
We could bottle it and make $$$ and have fun taste testing!!

Sherileeaz Wink
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 1/19/2005, 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

BoyNhisDog wrote:
Tomatoes are a powerful oxidizer...Now I take a good multiple with trace minerals just in case (okay, I'll cop to a bit of grapeseed extract as well) but I bet my health on a healthy diet of lots of seafood and veggies and fruit.
Ditto. The more raw fruits and veggies, the better.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: