ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Snow Hikes?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
k9hiker

PostPosted: 2/12/2003, 5:14 pm    Post subject: Snow Hikes? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Since we are having a little burst of winter again, I'm going to try to head out and find some snow on one of the next few weekends. Any suggestions for lightly used trails that are accessible by non-4x4 and that will have snow?

I know, I'm asking a lot.
Lizard

PostPosted: 2/12/2003, 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you're willing to do some driving, the trails on the western edge of the Blue Range Primitive Area fit your criteria nicely.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 2/12/2003, 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Maybe the Mazatzals? I'm hoping its only rain, but we had snow up there a few weeks ago, in the shade only tho. I'll tell you more Tuesday evening when we return.
k9hiker

PostPosted: 2/12/2003, 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Is the Blue Range P.A north of Payson Lizard?
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 2/12/2003, 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Woods Canyon Lake. East of Payson when you come to the turnoff to Woods Canyon Lake on AZ 260 pull into the parking lot and hike to Wood Canyon Lake. The trail on the east side of the road is paved between the campgrounds and the lake. You can also hike along part of the General Crook Trail.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 2/13/2003, 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Blue Range is south of Alpine, on the AZ/NM border. Very nice area, quite remote, way past the Phoenix crowds.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 2/13/2003, 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There is nothing like an invigorating hike in the snow. It reminds me of some times in my youth.

Recently in Northern New Mexico:

Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 2/13/2003, 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sweet pic Glenn - I haven't done much hiking in the snow - but I sure would like to do a lot more.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 2/13/2003, 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've hike Mt. Elden in FLagstaff in the Snow quite a few times. There was one time my dad go burried in snow neck deep. Luckly there was a small tree near by that he pulled himself out with. It was very exiting being the first ones cutting the trail on that mountain. Its very different in the snow.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 2/13/2003, 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice shot Glen!

I love hiking in the snow! I'd suggest checking out the cabin loop trails up on the Mogollon Rim. The Houston Brothers trail is a nice hike. http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/mogollon/houstonbros_tr.html

If you don't mind the drive, the Sierra Anchas would be a good choice. Parker Canyon is a great hike. http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/recreation/trail_rogs/160.html

PostPosted: 2/13/2003, 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm heading to Greer Saturday-Monday. If this cold, flu, pnuemonia thing continues to improve I hope to be putting on some snow shoes and hitting the trails. I hear they expect 6-10 inches more tonight on top of what they already have! Cool
ck1

PostPosted: 2/13/2003, 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glen! Hey buddy! Great shot...reminded me of Illinois...

"The Journey is the Destination"
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 2/14/2003, 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have always enjoyed snow hikes.

You have to dress right, in layers. If you become hot and sweat it is not a good thing. Start venilating or stripping off layers.

The colder air makes me very active. I went pretty far out on this day and saw some interesting things out there. Three big deer came up where I was studying a big tree, there were many trees cut down by beaver. I actually saw a big beaver and her three or four young a few years back in this area. Then when the deer had gone (before I could deploy my camera) a tiny twigg fell. Everything was so silent out there in the snow surrounded by a thick forest. I looked up.......... A porquepine munching away up above it all.

The forest was so thick here, that it was hard to get a good shot or angle. I had fun trying though. After a lot more advenure, I had to try and get back to my room before dark. Shocked Why do I always do that. Confused
evenstar

PostPosted: 2/14/2003, 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great photos and story once again, Glen. thanks.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 2/14/2003, 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glenn - the "Prarie Home Companion" of AZH.

You need to start a blog just to post photos and tell stories of you hikes. It would be riveting reading. Not that you'd have tome to post with all your hiking/flying/adventuring....

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: