ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
One-person tents
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
oriole_scott

PostPosted: 12/31/2004, 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Many thanks to everyone for all the suggestions! I think I'm going to go along with AZHeat's suggestion and get the TarpTent Squall. Lots of good reviews on it and it's hard to pass up the a tent big enough for 2 that weighs less than 2 lbs.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 12/31/2004, 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

For those of you who have the tarp tents, I would be greatly interested in a review after use in real weather conditions....from you as trusted friends and not a bunch of strangers on a company's web site trying to sell me something....

I want to shine!
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 12/31/2004, 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Diane did you check out the other links I posted from various ultralight site and backpacker magizine?

I will let you know, they hand make them, mine should be here around Jan 13 and planning on taking it out that weekend.
oriole_scott

PostPosted: 12/31/2004, 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Another review here:
http://members.tripod.com/gohike/pct/gearreview.html
and here:
http://members.tripod.com/gohike/trail_at02/newgear.html

This guy used older versions of the tarptent on both the PCT and the AT and seemed to like them a lot. It looks like the basic design has changed little since then.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 12/31/2004, 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The more I look into the tarptent the more I'm really liking it. Too bad my B-day isn't until the end of May.
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 12/31/2004, 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't know about you, but I think there needs a special May 27th Birthday hike.

Kerouac
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 12/31/2004, 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks like Tarp Tent's $50.00 off sale (any model) is for a limited time.......
http://www.tarptent.com/

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 12/31/2004, 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Looks like Tarp Tent's $50.00 off sale (any model) is for a limited time.......
http://www.tarptent.com/

Thats correct, I got my 50 bucks off Wink Beam me up
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 1/1/2005, 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

guys and gals, I have used the Virga (one person Squall) several times and never had a problem with condesation, leaking, or rips. One thing to mention however is when sil-nylon gets wet it tends to stretch, making the tent look "saggy". Once it dries, the fabric resumes its original shape.No ill effects ever took place and it remained watertight as ever, I have never needed to seam seal. Conventional seam sealer wont work on sil-nylon, you would have to use a diluted type of silicone. (GE silicone 2 mixed with denatured alcohol)
also the Tarptent has no available footprint, so at the dollar store I found a very light vinyl tablecloth and cut it to size. I think the homemade footprint weighs 4 oz at most. Happy tarptenting!

what i do
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 1/1/2005, 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What do you do on very hard ground or slickrock? Mary
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 1/1/2005, 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

good one, Maryphyl !
once I was out at Hell's Hole and had nothing but a ledge (ok, I had a choice but this ledge has amazing views of Workman creek/Salome Jug) to attempt a pitch. I had to build 3 mini cairns.. it actually worked well being that the tarptent only used 3 stakes.

what i do
HUM469

PostPosted: 1/1/2005, 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There is actually a technique for slick rock or anywhere else you cannot place a stake for non-freestanding tents and tarps, or even free-standing tents to keep them from blowing away. It's called drag stakeing, and it is very similar to your mini-cairns Mike. It is basically a modification of the alpinist's snow anchors. You simply fill up stuff sacks with rocks, tie off to them, then if the wind is real strong, find a large flat rock and lay it across the rope right in front of where it is attached to the stuff sack to keep the lifting force down. That is all there is to it. The amount of rocks needed in the stuff sack depends on the size of the tent or tarp, and the strength of the wind, but I have "staked" out a tarp with four drag stakes in a 35-40 mph gusty storm. The tarp was 10' x 12', and it only slightly fluttered. Only thing I can say to be careful about is if you do it, use cheap stuff sacks because if it is a gusty wind, you you get the weight wrong, sandstone will chew holes in your nylon very quickly if the sack moves at all.
Real Estate Executive to AZ
Special Projects Manager, AZCDE.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 1/2/2005, 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Our solution goes like this... when I hike alone (or sleep alone) I take an 8 oz sil poncho for shelter. When there are two of us we split a NF Slickrock which has carbon fiber poles. We usually don't take stakes--just triptease. Either way I am looking at 2 pounds or less for shelter.
Lizard

PostPosted: 1/3/2005, 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've had the Squall up above timberline in Colorado and it deals well with weather. If the low end is pitched into the wind it holds up well to wind. In really hellish driving rain, some water will splash in on the sides, but the footprint of the Squall is so big that (if you're using it as a one person tent) you can easily deal with this. When the tarptent is all sealed up, including the extended beak, you will get some condensation, more so than with a normal tent. The walls are angled sharply enough that you won't get dripped on much- but the tent may start to sag in the rain, and any part of the tent that touches your gear will get it wet. Its not a big deal, but be prepared to deal with it.
"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.”- Sir Ernest Shackleton, newspaper classified.
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 1/3/2005, 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

MSR Hubba (1 person) on eBay starting @ 130.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36118&item=5153474691&rd=1

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: