ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Flatiron
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
cactuscat

PostPosted: 2/12/2003, 11:54 am    Post subject: Flatiron Reply to topic Reply with quote

Did Flatiron to the peak yesterday with Canyon Dweller - Phrankster, what happened? We were followed by a group of snowbirds who made it all the way up, including a 73 year old on his third time. I hope I can still do that at 73! Agree
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 2/12/2003, 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I hike with a now 70 year old guy, and will be more than pleased if I can do as well. Just don't quit!
phrankster

PostPosted: 2/12/2003, 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My apologies, I REALLY wanted to make that hike, but something personal came up and I just couldn't make the hike Embarassed But I'm sure there'll be other times, hopefully I can make it then and finally meet you guys. Smile
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 2/13/2003, 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That was an increadible hike! Bouncing
Thanks for taking me up there Cactuscat.
Just to let you know i pulled over on the side of the road to take some pics of the Flatiron. It was a good spot to take pics.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
phrankster

PostPosted: 2/13/2003, 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Canyon Dweller are you going to post any of those pics so I can see what I missed? Embarassed Let me know next time you guys are going so I can make another attenpt to join you. Hiking
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 2/13/2003, 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

i took quite a few pics, I will post them on summitpost.com when i get them developed. some are still in my camera, so those will take a long time to develope.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
cactuscat

PostPosted: 2/13/2003, 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Canyon Dweller wrote:

Just to let you know i pulled over on the side of the road to take some pics of the Flatiron. It was a good spot to take pics.

I almost stopped to see if you had car trouble or something, but when I saw you run across the street I figured out what you were doing!
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 2/13/2003, 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I really wanted to get a good pic of the whole mountain. The trail head is too close to the peak to see it. 88 has alot of really good views of the peak.

kiluam

PostPosted: 3/5/2003, 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

crappy left knee is going crazy on me now..must have jacked it up somehow, though i didnt really notice it until the car ride home..this was last saturday (the 1st) and it is still irritating me today..otherwise the hike was fun..it was the first time doing that hike after abuot 4 or 5 yrs..so it was like new again..good feeling..not remembering what was coming up next...
plummer150

PostPosted: 3/5/2003, 3:24 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
so it was like new again..good feeling..not remembering what was coming up next

I know exactly what you mean here. It's especialy like that for me because I can only make it out to Arizona once or twice a year. Sad So when I do make it out and do an old trail that I haven't done in quite some time, it just brings back some good memeries usualy and it seems be more adventurous of a hike; not to mention I pick up on different things that I missed the other times that I might have done that trail. Wink
kiluam

PostPosted: 3/5/2003, 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

its an excellent feeling..and then its like oh yeah..i remember that..

im a geologist in the making, and so now everywhere i go, i pay way more attention to the surroundings and everything makes sense for the most part..and the stuff that i just looked at before and said "wow, thats amazing" i can relate it to how it became like that..thats coolest part for me.for flatiron, since i was here last about 4 yrs ago, i basically just blew it off as just rocks..i can appreciate it more now..in a different perspective that is.

i cant wait to go to havasupai two or three months from now..i havent been there since 2001...really looking forward to any new surprises that place may have that i missed before.

in other words im in a very advanced stage of havasu falls denial Rolling Eyes Spinning Turning
plummer150

PostPosted: 3/6/2003, 6:59 am    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
and then its like oh yeah..i remember that..

Excatly how it is for me! Yes Spinning
phrankster

PostPosted: 3/7/2003, 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

in other words im in a very advanced stage of havasu falls denial

I just made my reservations for may to head down there. I havent been there in about 12 years so things may look a little different from the last time I was there Shocked
I've also heard something about a small cave or "green room" as someone called it under or behind Beaver Falls, has anyone else heard of this?
cactuscat

PostPosted: 3/7/2003, 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've heard of the "green room", phrankster. It's described in one of Craig Childs' books. Sounds awesome! If I can figure out which book it was, I'll let you know.
phrankster

PostPosted: 3/7/2003, 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

I've heard of the "green room",

Please do let me know if you do, I'd like to try finding it when I go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: