ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
King's Canyon Trail (Wasson Peak) Saguaro NP West

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
desertgirl

PostPosted: 2/10/2003, 9:07 pm    Post subject: King's Canyon Trail (Wasson Peak) Saguaro NP West Reply to topic Reply with quote

King’s Canyon Trail

King’s Canyon Trail is the most direct route to reach Wasson’s Peak – highest summit (4687 ft) of Tucson Mountains. This is located in the Saguaro National Park – West Unit.

Trail Length: 3.5 miles (each way)
Difficulty Rating: Strenuous
Elevations: 2850ft.-4687ft.
Best Season: October-May

Access: Paved. All cars
Directions to Trailhead:
Drive towards Tuson on I10 East. To reach trailhead, take Speedway west. This turns into Gates Pass Road. Turn right on Kinney Roadand head past the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum. The trailhead is located a short distance north of the museum. Parking is off on the right.
Trail Description:
The trailhead is located to the right, just north of the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum. You begin the hike up King’s Canyon – you have 2 options: Take the old mining road that follows King;s Canyon or hike up King’s Canyon along the wash. If you follow the bottom along King’s Canyon, you encounter two locations with petroglyphs; 1st is on a rock right in the middle of the canyon bed that is covered with desert varnish. You will see a few petroglyphs. Further along you will encounter a dense collection of petroglyphs along both walls. At 0.9 miles you will reach the Mam-a-Gah picnic area. You will see an abandoned restroom at this point hiking up the wash. Keep to the right and follow King’s Canyon another 1.4 miles of fairly steep trail, which intersects with Sweetwater Trail at the ridge. Vegetation is typically sonoran – paloverde trees, barrel cactus, cholla & mature saguaros. Go left at this junction (well signed) climbing up through some steep switchbacks for another 0.9 miles gaining almost 600ft.. Along this section of hike you will encounter 2 mine shafts (sealed off). A short 0.3-mile spur trail takes you to the summit – Wasson Peak. #60 views abound – Tucson to the east ith the Catalina & Rincon mountains, Kitt Peak, Mt. Wrightson to the west.

Return has a few options: 1) Return the way you came 2) Take The Hugh Norris Trail (Go Right where the spur joins the main Trail). You will go over the saddle and descend westward 1.9 miles where you will take the Esperanza Trail & head towards the Mam-A-Gah Picnic Area (1.4 miles). Springtime following a wet winter will make this hike a pleasurable hike through wildflowers. Along this trail you will encounter the Gould Mine (at 1 mile). You can take the Gould Mine Trail to the Kings Canyon Trailhead (~ 7.8 miles roundtrip) or go another 0.4 miles & return via King’s Canyon. Hike along Gould Mine Trail takes you past huge tailings pile from the Gould Mine.

Caution: Summer will bring extremely high temperatures & this hike is best avoided. There is no water at the trailhead or along the trail. Carry all your water.

Pets: Not Allowed
Weather Conditions: Tuscon
Water: None at the trailhead or Trail. Bring your own
Wilderness: Saguaro WA
Management: Saguaro National Park – West Unit
Topo: Avra
plummer150

PostPosted: 2/10/2003, 9:10 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Havent' done the west part at all, only the eastern section. I'll get to the western part eventually. Sounds pretty cool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: