ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Best Place to view Wildflowers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 12/7/2004, 8:27 am    Post subject: Best Place to view Wildflowers Reply to topic Reply with quote

I want to start planning my spring mini w/e vacations, and since this is going to be an awesome wildflower season I want to know where are the best places to go.

Please post your favorites for me... Thanks in advance!!

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 12/7/2004, 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OOH OOH OOH! Good topic! Thanks J Me!

I want to shine!
whereveriroam

PostPosted: 12/7/2004, 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The 1st mile of the Loy Canyon trail in Sedona was surprisingly nice last spring.
Daryl

PostPosted: 12/7/2004, 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jacobs Crosscut, closer to LDSP, and up the prospectors trail.

Dutchmans trial starting at Peralta Trail head.

I remember a lot flowers on the trail to Rodgers canyon form Rodgers Trough also.
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 12/7/2004, 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I did the Rogers Trough-Reavis Ranch-Frog Tank-Angel Basin loop during a pretty good show of flowers a few years ago. Nice trip and great flowers.

At the peak year-'98?- the whole Supe's were ablaze. I took a day and my camera around the Miner's Needle Loop and have several wall-worthy shots.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 12/7/2004, 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Massacre Grounds, Ballantine (http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1308&highlight=ballantine) and, of course, Picacho Peak.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 12/7/2004, 1:00 pm    Post subject: wildflowers and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think the Boulder Canyon Trail was pretty good a few years back too. It looked like someone spilled orange juice on the hills.

GTG
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 12/7/2004, 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Reeds Water
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 12/7/2004, 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cap'n, there's some quicksand along the trail from Dripping Springs near there during wet years. Prob'ly now. In dry times you could drive a truck over it. (That's what happened to my Ex.....that's my story and I'm sticking to it.... Rolling Eyes )

Highway SR 89 from Florence to Oracle Junction is a great drive to look at flowers. About half way in between there is a dirt road that goes east over to Highway 77 (I think thats the number) between San Manuel and Kearney. There are lots of places along the route to hike up ridgelines and see flowers and sometimes groups of javelinas. Between there and San Manuel are some of the biggest mule deer in the state. Area is a lot cuter than it looks from the pavement at 65 mph. You gotta drive off road and hike a tad to get the feel of it. -R
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 12/7/2004, 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Another good place will be the back side (west side) of Picacho Peak via the Sunset Trail...which is a pleasant trek along the base...then you can climb up the back route to the summit for some added fun and a decent little workout. I'd be happy to go with you... Laughing
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 12/7/2004, 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sande J wrote:
Another good place will be the back side (west side) of Picacho Peak via the Sunset Trail...which is a pleasant trek along the base...then you can climb up the back route to the summit for some added fun and a decent little workout. I'd be happy to go with you... :lol:
West-north-west (?) of there, beyond Table-Top is the true Sonoran desert. From Table top you look across a huge 75-mile desert basin which extends toward the south-west. It is the desert!

It should be impressive out there!

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 12/7/2004, 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SandeJ- Up Hunter Trail (the front) then out Sunset Vista is a great hike! Thats the way we did it when we went and that way the work out was first and the stroll was on the way out. That would give you plenty of leisurely flower gazing time!

I want to shine!
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 12/9/2004, 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great suggestions gang... thanks. Anyone have any ideas for wildflower viewing further away from the Valley... say a weekend trip up north, south, or east maybe??

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
Hnak

PostPosted: 12/9/2004, 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was down in Organ Pipe Cactus N. M. a few years ago in the spring, and the wildflowers were really beautiful. There are some nice hikes in the area too... Hank
desertgirl

PostPosted: 12/9/2004, 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hnak wrote:
I was down in Organ Pipe Cactus N. M. a few years ago in the spring, and the wildflowers were really beautiful. There are some nice hikes in the area too... Hank

Seen it with flowers and w/o flowers ('cause of the drought) ...amazing when the desertfloors light up ...may be this year will be good!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: