ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
You all know what this rain means?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 12/6/2004, 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have heard that it is the early rains that do it or at least start the mechanism to do it. We shall see a stunning spring if this keeps up. It lightly rained off and on for a good part of the day again down here. The water is really soaking in. Watercolor wildflowers and neon cactus blooms will be as bright as flashlights.

Normally we don't get much in the way of April showers but i do remember one April 16th when it snowed in Tucson.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 12/6/2004, 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

You get dried wildflowers in May!

Well that was in Chicago, were luck to 80 degrees and 10 sunny days in May. I was just bringing up the saying I remember hearing, i have no idea what months of rain are good for flowers out here in the desert.
whereveriroam

PostPosted: 12/6/2004, 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daddee wrote:
BTW - for the spring wildflowers I was always told that the rains that count are the ones that you get around mid January through mid March. Any sooner than that dry out before they can do any good, and after that is starting to get too late to have an appreciable effect.

I don't know how accurate that info is, but I have heard it from several sources.

Anyone else know anything about it? I'm dying to see a really bright spring again - seems like it's been 5 or 6 years since the last really good one.

This link may help answer this question; www.desertusa.com/Thingstodo/du_ttd_bloom2.html
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 12/6/2004, 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, that link cleared it all up. Very Happy

Let's just give a rousing hope that the conditions are perfect for a nice spring show.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
desertgirl

PostPosted: 12/6/2004, 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am rooting for a nice wet winter so I can get some stunning photos for my flowers collection ....I had hiked up Picacho in the last bumper spring season and have been wanting to see it all over again ....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: