ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
You all know what this rain means?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 12/5/2004, 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

you guys are awesome!
Santa would be proud
I'll have to give him a call

what i do
cactuscat

PostPosted: 12/5/2004, 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
Mike,

If you want something compact in that range, definitely look at the Canon Powershot line. Best bang for the buck I would say. Very durable (unless dunked), and they produce some really nice auto setting shots. I really like them for the portablility on hikes.

Ditto - my new toy is a Canon Powershot A85 and I love it. 4.0 megapixels, and it's really small and easy to use.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 12/5/2004, 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have had four Canon cameras now and recomend them highly. Don't forget to look at the G series while you are at it. They have that same flip out LCD and some real good glass.

For serious macro work like flowers or any landscape work I suggest the Av setting for aperature (f/stop) priority or the manual setting. You will need a tripod though. Both like deep Depth of Field type settings unless you need the more narrow DOF for your vision.

I bought a new Canon 50mm macro lens for my camera so bring on the rain and the wildflowers.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 12/5/2004, 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ive seen the A85 on eBay complete with 512mb card, IFC, small tripod,
case and lens cleaner from a respected seller for $299. Otherwise, the camera itself with no extras is around $229
ya'll think its a good deal?

what i do
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 12/5/2004, 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

B&H sells it for $240 all by itself. They are reputable dealers so are a good benchmark to judge by. 512 cards are about $50 so it's looks like you get the tripod and case etc thrown in.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 12/5/2004, 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've found putting my Canon powershot S50 on action mode works well when I'm trying to get a closeup shot, such as a bug on a flower.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 12/5/2004, 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike I have a Fujifilm FinePix A303, it's a few years old but there A340 is a 4MP and I love it. Or if the budget is a problem the A330 is a 3MP. They run around $165 for the 4MP or $140 for the 3MP.

Don't forget to check: http://www.steves-digicams.com for the absolute best info on camera's
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 12/5/2004, 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike - Tim is right, check out Steve's Digicams - the price check tool on that site is awesome.

I just bought a Canon A85 from ProFeel for $221 - they got it to me in 3 days. I recommend calling them over their e-mail ordering though. The customer service over the phone was really quite good.

The best part about the Canon is that if you put it into "Auto" or any of the other pre-set modes you can take some really nice pictures with extreme ease. But you can also go custom and make it perform in really fine tuned ways. I'm still playing with it to find out how all the custom features work.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 12/5/2004, 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

BTW - for the spring wildflowers I was always told that the rains that count are the ones that you get around mid January through mid March. Any sooner than that dry out before they can do any good, and after that is starting to get too late to have an appreciable effect.

I don't know how accurate that info is, but I have heard it from several sources.

Anyone else know anything about it? I'm dying to see a really bright spring again - seems like it's been 5 or 6 years since the last really good one.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Daryl

PostPosted: 12/6/2004, 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A85 is the same as the A95 except the A95 is 5mp as opposed to 4mp and the A95 has the flip out screen. The A85 is an awesome camera too though.

Canon A85 currently for $219
http://www.butterflyphoto.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=A85

Canon A95 currently for $286
http://www.butterflyphoto.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=A95

Of you can just suck it up and get the 20D... 8mp, shoots at 5 frames per second... for only $1500.00 (this is on my wife's christmas list if Santa is listening...)
http://www.butterflyphoto.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=EOS20D

Again, Butterflyphoto.com is awesome to deal with. I haven't found anyone that can touch their prices. Their Cameras are all new US cameras with warranties (you need to watch for that on ebay, some are grey market or refurbished) and their prices change daily to match their competition so you have to check back often. I bought from them twice now and had the camera delivered within days. Both times they upgraded me to priority shipping at no charge. However, don't buy accesories from them, they mark up the prices on them so they can turn a profit.
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 12/6/2004, 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have been told by botanical garden Nov and Dec are the most important, the later rains have no significance. I have also seen the same info on PBS. The last banner year which I think was 98 the rains were early.
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 12/6/2004, 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Kent. Always nice to be able to separate fact from rumor. As I said - I didn't have any authoritative info - just what I had remembered hearing.

- Abraham Lincoln
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 12/6/2004, 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well I have heard the saying "April Showers bring May flowers" But that was in the midwest where they actually have a "Winter".
desertgirl

PostPosted: 12/6/2004, 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
Well I have heard the saying "April Showers bring May flowers" But that was in the midwest where they actually have a "Winter".

You get dried wildflowers in May! Laughing
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 12/6/2004, 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't know if it is fact or not and I'm sure not an expert; that is just what I've been told and heard. I have tried to find some info on the web, but not having any luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: