ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
You all know what this rain means?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 12/4/2004, 2:03 pm    Post subject: You all know what this rain means? Reply to topic Reply with quote

WILDFLOWERS

I wonder where the tipping point is, how much do we need to be assured of a banner year? I keep thinking back to '97 or 98, when the desert came alive with them.
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 12/4/2004, 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Multi Hiking Spinning on my head

I love the rain! I love to see water over the bridge in Wickenburg that has a sign that says, "No fishing from the bridge", actually have a small stream of water running in it.

I do hope that all those on the Ridge today are safe, warm and dry.

Mary
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 12/4/2004, 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shihiyea wrote:

I do hope that all those on the Ridge today are safe, warm and dry.

I'm sure they're safe. Warm and dry I'm not sure about...

Kerouac
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 12/4/2004, 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm sure they're safe. Warm and dry I'm not sure about...

My thoughts exactly!
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 12/4/2004, 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We were talking about the rain and wildflowers at the Ridgeline post hike festivities. I'm hoping it will be an awesome spring and am sure to get my camera ready.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
whereveriroam

PostPosted: 12/4/2004, 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: You all know wha this rain means? Reply to topic Reply with quote

sredfield wrote:
WILDFLOWERS

I wonder where the tipping point is, how much do we need to be assured of a banner year? I keep thinking back to '97 or 98, when the desert came alive with them.

I read somewhere that a spectacular wildflower spring is due to abundant rain in the months of October and November. Appearantly winter rains do little besides ease the drought.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 12/4/2004, 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

wonder where the tipping point is, how much do we need to be assured of a banner year?

Stop wondering its in the bag.

You are right early rains are what make the show. Anything beyond December is irrelevant for wild flowers. Be prepared for an extravaganze like 98 which was the best in decades. Wahoo
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 12/4/2004, 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ummmm....Kent.....I thought you turned 40 something in October. You're don't even look close to your 104 years!

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 12/5/2004, 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

guess this means Ive gotta replace the old HP 2.1 for a newer shinier model, eh?
Seems there are great prices in the 4 and 5 MP range. Any ideas?

what i do
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 12/5/2004, 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike,

If you want something compact in that range, definitely look at the Canon Powershot line. Best bang for the buck I would say. Very durable (unless dunked), and they produce some really nice auto setting shots. I really like them for the portablility on hikes.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 12/5/2004, 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

cool, Tom. I have seen a few ads for Fry's that seem to fit the bill. Price range wise that is

what i do
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 12/5/2004, 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Olympus makes the Stylus in an all weatherproof case. I have the stylus 410 I really like it.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_product_lobbypage.asp?l=1&p=16&bc=27&product=957

I kick myself for not taking it on the Ridgeline.
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 12/5/2004, 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mikeinFHAZ wrote:
cool, Tom. I have seen a few ads for Fry's that seem to fit the bill. Price range wise that is

The only thing that they lack I can see, is when you want to really zoom in on something, they have to be held very still or the pic is blurry. I'm still playing around with that problem. I'm sure there is a way around the problem in manual mode. I'm not a rocket scientist when it comes to manual camera modes.
Daryl

PostPosted: 12/5/2004, 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll second Tom's Canon Powershot recommendation. The A series are my favorite. I was playing with the A95 at the store the other day. 5mp, full function/feature, and you can use filters and teleconverters with it. It also has a flip out and rotatable view finder to take those off angle shots without laying on the ground. I think they go for about $350.
Buy the camera from butterflyphoto.com. Best prices I've seen and great service. I've bought 2 cameras from them now and was very happy both times.

PostPosted: 12/5/2004, 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
mikeinFHAZ wrote:

The only thing that they lack I can see, is when you want to really zoom in on something, they have to be held very still or the pic is blurry. I'm still playing around with that problem. I'm sure there is a way around the problem in manual mode. I'm not a rocket scientist when it comes to manual camera modes.

That will be a problem for any camera without IS (image stabilization). To minimize it, put your camera in shutter priority mode (Tv on your camera) and set the shutter as fast as it will allow you without making the picture too dark. On a bright day you should be able to shoot at 1/1000 of a second or even higher. You can also cheat and put your camera in sports mode, which basically does the same thing without you having to think about anything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: