ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Dog
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Classifieds Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valet2
Peppermint Patty

PostPosted: 1/5/2003, 10:06 pm    Post subject: Dog Reply to topic Reply with quote

A great dog needs a good new home! Needs more activity and, perhaps, a family. 1/2 Germ. Shepard & 1/2 Rott.... but not going to be real huge. Brown and black and looks like a Shepard... longer nose, thin legs, etc.. very smart and friendly. About 6 months old. Loves to hike and run!
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 1/6/2003, 10:38 pm    Post subject: dog and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

I wish I had the time and the space. Sad
If I did, I'd have a new dog.

GTG
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

When you find a new human for that pup to take over; if they need some training or general health and nutrition tips feel free to put them in touch with me. Not a vet, but lots of experience with dogs. First tip I give every new dog owner: BRUSH ITS TEETH! Can add up to 1-1/2 years of quality life to the average dog's lifespan! Anybody else interested I'll be happy to explain how and more on why.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have friend that I would love to ask about taking this dog because I know he would love it, and he just lost both of his dogs in a cruel, violent act. I talked to him Monday night, and he told me that his two dogs (it was a shared custody thing between him and his exgirlfriend) got spooked on New Years Eve, got out of the yard somehow, and took off. Tempe police shot and killed both of them in the neighborhood church parking lot. There was no explanation... neither of the dogs were aggressive in any way. Animal control was never called, nothing. The officer just decided to use them for target practice, I guess. Anyway, it is a real heartbreaking time and I'm just not sure how to approach the subject of a new dog. And, yes... him and his ex are filing complaints w/ the police dept and against the officer, and possibly filing a suit.

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh, that's awful!!! I hope he sues their asses off!!!
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thats horrible. I could not imagine a pet being killed just for the heck of it. hard to believe that a cop would do something like that, but guess i aint in flagstaff anymore.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Kristyn

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That is absolutely horrifying!
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

jmzblond wrote:
Anyway, it is a real heartbreaking time and I'm just not sure how to approach the subject of a new dog.

Jaimi (I spell that right?) I've been through the problem of replacing dogs that were very special to me. I know a lot of people say they can't face up to that right away, but it's been my experience that a new pup can take away a lot of the pain and lick away a lot of the tears that are shed. Having spent several years as an "official" dog person I've seen others go through what your friend's going through and each time I've seen a new puppy or even an older dog do the trick.
Your friend might even consider replacing both dogs. Serious breeders often recommend this, especially for working people who are away from home during the day. Really eliminates a lot of behavior problems that most mistake for "Boredom". Ain't so...single dog left alone feels abandoned by its pack and it's anxiety attacks that cause the undesirable behavior. Two dogs...pack's still there even if one member's away.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
Kristyn

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Serious breeders often recommend this, especially for working people who are away from home during the day. Really eliminates a lot of behavior problems that most mistake for "Boredom". Ain't so...single dog left alone feels abandoned by its pack and it's anxiety attacks that cause the undesirable behavior. Two dogs...pack's still there even if one member's away.

This is soooo true! I had a boxer to begin with and anyone who knows a boxer knows how awfully active and energetic they are. They get themselves into so much trouble. I bought him a friend, an American Bulldog and 90% of the problems are gone. I am happy to say that all my sprinklers are in the correct spot and there aren't any holes in the ground for me to fall into! Laughing
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

I bought him a friend, an American Bulldog and 90% of the problems are gone.

Great Kristyn, love to hear stories like that....but do you brush their teeth? Hope the answer is yes; if not, hope you'll give me the chance to change your mind.
dennisbench

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hoolie-

whats the best way to go about brushing their teeth? I have a german shepherd and a black lab. I have brushed my shepherd's teeth a few times but it's hard to get to the back teeth without him biting down on the brush.
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
Mrs Mike

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm so sorry to hear that your friend lost his dogs, especially in such a cruel way, jmzblond. You may want to consider just bringing up the idea of this dog that Valet2 is offering to your friend. Mike & I have met the dog and he is such a sweetheart!!
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

dennisbench wrote:
Hoolie-

whats the best way to go about brushing their teeth? I have a german shepherd and a black lab. I have brushed my shepherd's teeth a few times but it's hard to get to the back teeth without him biting down on the brush.

First get the doggie tooth paste, I use Petrodent; DO NOT get the package with the "Special Brush". Go to Safeway or any other market that sells their own brand; get the childs soft and figure on replacing it every month or so if you brush daily, which I recommend.
For dogs your size, sit on the front edge of a chair and get the dog to sit between your legs, back toward you. If they keep trying to bite the brush, try gripping your hand around the muzzle to hold their jaws shut. You'll probably have to adjust your grip as you switch sides of the mouth. Reaching around and coming in from the front, get the brush with the toothpaste between the jowl and the teeth and and brush each side, especially the back molars, for about twenty seconds and you want to use stokes that get the gums as well 'cause that's where the real problems start. Switch your grip and do the same for the other side. Forget trying to do the INSIDES of the teeth; porridge near impossible Rolling Eyes and the dogs normal saliva and tongue action will keep the insides fairly clean. Vet check each year when you get shots and vet cleaning as necessary, but at least every three years in my opinion.
Many years ago I read an article in the Cornell University School of Veterinary Medicine that stated a good regimen of dental care can add up to 1-1/2 years to the average dogs life....quality years! Bad teeth and, in particular, bad gums can cause all kinds of systemic problems including heart disease, liver problems and lowered resistance to infection. I'm a believer!
Aand BTW, suggest giving their very favorite treat immediately after you finish brushing. My Basenjis see me with the toothbrush and rapidly head for the section of the carpet where they know I do the brushing and sit;!(Gotta be easy on my knees; Basenji sized dogs, you need to kneel down instead of sitting in a chair!) actually eager for me to brush. Don't think they really care for the process, but they like the taste of the toothpaste and, knowing they'll immediately get their fav treat makes it OK.
hope this helps
Valet2
Peppermint Patty

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all the attention and info! I nearly cried reading about Jmzblond's friend and hope, one way or another, he gets it all settled and can consider another dog. I can't imagine just shooting an animal like that... it makes me angry. We do get so attached to our pets and just the thought of losing them is difficult!
Tell all your contacts about my great pooch. I will cry when he goes but it will be "..for happy" if he can have a good home and more activity. He's a lover!
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Valet2, I've been involved in animal rescue and seen what can happen to pooches when people don't give a porridge; You're obviously NOT one of those people and I really respect someone who cares enough to find a new home for a beloved pooch when it's necessary. Too many others would just dump him off at the animal shelter or, even worse, just dump him. I'm proud of you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Classifieds All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: