ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Coleman Xcursion Lantern
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/22/2004, 7:58 am    Post subject: Coleman Xcursion Lantern Reply to topic Reply with quote

The coleman on-line store has there new lantern on sale for $21.85. It looks like a pretty cool little lantern. Has anyone used it?

Check it out here:
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/detail.asp?product_id=9970-725&category_id=24756&SourcePage=&SubmittingPage=&calling_page=ColemanCom/Prod_Detail.asp&success=1
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/22/2004, 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I clicked back on the link and it say's it's $39.99. So I'm not sure what happened.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 11/22/2004, 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Does it say how long it will burn on one fueling? Would you have to carry special fuel for it or can you just fill it up before a trip and carry just it? Looks like you have to use only the Coleman PowerMax fuel thingie...

I want to shine!
Andy

PostPosted: 11/22/2004, 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

here's a few more details about it!
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/newsrelease.asp?releasenum=134

http://community.webshots.com/album/136917818udlQWZ
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/22/2004, 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

• Operates on high performance Powermax® fuel
• Consistent performance in cold weather and at high altitude
• Refillable fuel tank - lasts up to 6 hours and refills in less that 20 seconds
• Back sliding door doubles as reflector or carry case
• Whisper-quiet operation
• Weighs 12 oz
• 6-5/8” tall x 3”
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 11/22/2004, 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am thinking it would be great if it would operate on something other than just the powermax thing... I don't carry that for any other reason so it would be an extra thing to carry... Doesn't Tom have something similar that works on the basic canister bottle that you carry for like your pocket rocket?

Speaking of your pocket rocket... I almost have myself convinced that the stove I am gonna get.... I have checked out a lot of stoves and I am thinking for my purposes I really like that one... not much heavier than the Crux but much more stable it seems... doesn't pack down as nice and neat but I can put it in my pot andit will be fine... and ya just can't go wrong with the take off noise it produces! Wink

I want to shine!
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/22/2004, 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah I don't have anything that uses that fuel either. I'm wordering what the difference is with that powermax stuff and whether it can be used on a regular pocket rocket type stove or if you can use regular fuel in the lantern thing. Either way i think I will end up getting one. Maybe Santa will be nice to me this year.
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 11/22/2004, 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

on the instructions on their site it says it uses the powermax only...

I want to shine!
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/22/2004, 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think Tom has something similar to this.
Butane/Propane Lanterns
Lumostar® C270 PZ Lantern

(Model No. 62809 • Burns up to 6 hours on high
• Weighs 7.5 oz
• Regular Retail Price: $29.99

But you can find these for <$20.
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 11/22/2004, 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

thats cool.... so why is the other one better than this one if this one can use a basic canister... I am gonna go check this one out on their site and see what they say about it....

I want to shine!
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/22/2004, 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well Coleman sells powermax fuel so if they can make something that uses only that, then you have to buy 2 things from them. I just like the compact design of the other one that's all.
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 11/22/2004, 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

yeah but if something only uses propriotary parts it becomes a pain in the butt to deal with. If you can use any old canister it is easier to find replacements. Just a consideration.... then you are stuck paying their prices for their parts and there is nothing you can do about it.

I want to shine!
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/22/2004, 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I still like it, and besides it will last for 6 hours on one fill, thats more than perfect for an overnighter and if you on a longer trip then you would probably need to bring an extra fuel cartidge for it anyways.
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 11/22/2004, 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thats cool. I am not trying to talk you out of it. I am just discussing it with you. bringing up points and such. It is way cool, I am just thinking multiple use items.... pack weight....

I want to shine!
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 11/22/2004, 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yup that's it. The little Lumostar has gone on many a journey without a hitch. I actually picked it up at Sports Authority for $7. The only hitch is that it uses the CampinGaz cannisters only. It's not a big deal as I also have a CG stove when I want to pack a bit lighter. One less cannister type.

I dunno, 12oz of Coleman may put me over the edge weight-wise... not. Mr. Green

Just picked up a Kelty 50th Anniv external pack. That should assure me 100 lbs top load. I could fit a full-size Coleman lantern in that mutha. In addition to the kitchen sink, I'll be bringing my bedroom set along now.

Shades
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: