ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Cost of Rescue
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

The expenses associated with a wilderness rescue should be paid by
the person being rescued
24%
 24%  [ 9 ]
tax dollars should cover cost
16%
 16%  [ 6 ]
both tax dollars and fines/bills to the rescued
59%
 59%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 37

Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 11/9/2004, 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yep you are right Daine, you are covered for the year. A portion of each license fee is pooled into a rescue fund and that is what pays for the search and rescue. It works quite well and they have used that system for years.

Here in Arizona it is the taxpayer that picks up the bill.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/9/2004, 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I wouldn't think they would even make it enough money to cover the rescue expenses.
Daryl

PostPosted: 11/9/2004, 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tax dollars should cover it all.

If the fire department puts out a fire at your house because you fell asleep while smoking, you don't have to pay.
If you call 911 for your friend because he shot himself in the head while cleaning a gun, the ambulance ride is free.

Why should emergency services in the back country be any different? I pay taxes, if I need help I expect my tax dollars to kick in and help me. Even if I did something stupid. Tax dollars go to help stupid people out every day. Start charging to put out fires and ambulance rides when people do stupid things, then I'll agree to charge for back country rescues.
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 11/9/2004, 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Don't you think though that if we weren't expecting our taxes to cover so many different expenses perhaps they could be a bit lower... not that it would happen but perhaps we expect to much of our tax system when things could be handled in different ways....I don't want to open another whole can of political worms here so I won' take this any further than that... just a thought.

I want to shine!
doug

PostPosted: 11/9/2004, 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Early in this poll it was stated that if you do some thing stupid in the you pay in National Parks. This is only partly true, if you need rescued you pay. Here is a link to the Grand Canyon page that explanes, http://www.nps.gov/grca/backcountry/backcountry_faq.htm#q21
One of the news shows a few years back had a story on this the park service was going case by case on this. It turned out that race was part of what was used, and one of the parks in the north west was sued for racial discrimiation, so now every body pays.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 11/9/2004, 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shades
Daryl

PostPosted: 11/10/2004, 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree taxes suck and should be lower. However, if you are going to charge people for rescues then you need to start charging people for the other services also.

I'd be pretty miffed if I had to pay for a rescue in Sedona, after I paid taxes and the red rock pass, because someone thought me climbing to a peak was a stupid idea. Meanwhile, the guy that gets drunk and wraps his car around a tree gets a free helicopter ride to the hospital...

PostPosted: 2/19/2005, 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know this is an old topic but I wanted to add a little.
Arizonaheat was talking about the fishing hunting licences in Colorado. To be covered by your licence you pay a dollar more, you can also buy a hiking/backcountry tag that does the same thing. I think it is also just a dollar. They are a great idea, and well worth the money I wish more places offered a program like that.
Daryl, most of the time you (or your insurance) does have to pay for ambulance rides. Most places charge a few hundred dollars to ride in the ambulance, they wont charge you if they come out and you don't ride with them, but as soon as you get in their truck it gets very expensive. Most people never see that because their insurance pays for it.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 2/21/2005, 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
I would like to see it covered by an individuals health insurance.... kinda like an ambulance ride... Is this rediculous?

I think many policies do cover the cost. Years ago my little sister had to be flown out of the canyon and her insurance paid up. Mary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: