ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Did you vote?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did you vote today?
Yes
97%
 97%  [ 37 ]
No
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Tried to
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 38

Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 11/6/2004, 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ok, well I didn't see that! I never look at the subject line past the first post on a thread as most people dont use it because the subject of the tread is actually the subject of the post.... or at least thats why I don't use it.

I want to shine!
Kristyn

PostPosted: 11/6/2004, 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Diane's daughter = me Reply to topic Reply with quote

analoggirl03 wrote:
Hi!
I posted this on one of you hiking kid's blogs but i thought i'd stick it here too cause it always annoys me when people get upset about people being critical of their governments.

"As far as being ashamed to be an american, i think thats completely acurate. Complain if you will but i dont love america like a three year old loves her mommie. i love america like a grown up, For all its faults, its triumphs and failures; however like in an adult love i want to see my loved one do better. In the same way that i'm ashamed to be in public with my boyfriend (whom i love very much) when hes behaving like a retard i'm also ashamed of america when it acts retarded."

Similarly, if my boyfriend refused to marry me because he was on his high horse touting morality as his excuse for totaly biggotry, I'd dump him and move to canada too!

Uh, noone is getting upset about others being critical of the gov't. It's the hostility that is what got this thread where its at.

Also, your moms the only one that made a comment about not being political on this site, which is why we are at the other site. Wink

By the way, I do agree! Thanks Di and Sorry! Very Happy
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 11/6/2004, 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I only brought it up because it was decided long ago that we weren't gonna do this here so there would be no hard feelings... I must then admit that that was not then my last comment either so no need to apologize.

My darling daughter is very passionate about her politics. Much more so than I. I am very proud of her for her involvment in our world. Many youth today are very complacent. That will never be said about my daughter! God bless her!

I want to shine!
Abe

PostPosted: 11/6/2004, 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

BoyNhisDog wrote:
At least all of us here (save one Mr. Green) enjoy the passion of hiking through the enchanted landscape we call Arizona. Just being out there seems to put things into a perspective that is right.

Amen! Every day I deal with people, most of the time with serious conservatives at works and every once in a while serious liberals like last Tuesday and Thursday. Which is why I consider hiking a way of balancing my life.
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 11/6/2004, 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I love the people of this site.

You can't believe how much that above statement is true.

The wisdom and sicerity expressed by most everyone on this site is simply beyond compare. Show me another group as diverse and yet as tollerant of each other and each others opinions. You might find a few - but this is a shining example.

Seriously, you guys are the best.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
ck1

PostPosted: 11/6/2004, 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yea, well you're pretty ok too Jarod.

"The Journey is the Destination"
Andy

PostPosted: 11/7/2004, 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes! I have to agree with that too! I also hang out on some astronomy forums and most of those people are tearing each others heads off since the election! although fun for me to read, I don't think many of them would be the kind of people I would like to hike with!

http://community.webshots.com/album/136917818udlQWZ
evenstar

PostPosted: 11/7/2004, 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

BoyNhisDog wrote:
I know; Who's our Daddy? Mr. Green Hoolie I reckon? Mr. Green

porridge right! And you're all grounded and no TV for a week! And don't come askin' me for a raise in your allowance.....in fact, don't come askin' me for an allowance!

I don't think Cat was name calling and let's not get too thin skinned, please?
Thanks!
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Kristyn

PostPosted: 11/7/2004, 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
BoyNhisDog wrote:
I know; Who's our Daddy? Mr. Green Hoolie I reckon? Mr. Green

porridge right! And you're all grounded and no TV for a week! And don't come askin' me for a raise in your allowance.....in fact, don't come askin' me for an allowance!

I don't think Cat was name calling and let's not get too thin skinned, please?
Thanks!

I think if anyone was getting thin skinned, this thread would have turned out a heck of a lot worse.

I would have to say this place is pretty porridge awesome to be able to make this thread turn out all sappy. You guys are too cool!
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 11/8/2004, 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Its difficult for me to actually put into words all the thoughts that are flying through my head all at once. I've been limited in my internet access lately, and haven't been able to keep up, participate, or respond to emails, PMs, or posts as I'd like to. This being said, I want to attempt to formulate some of my opinions into comprehensible, readable sentences and phrases.

This country was sought and fought and founded on the ideals of freedom, and the belief that with this freedom, happiness would most certainly follow. It is my personal belief that our own individual happiness is subject only to the boundaries established by our own intellectual, social, and emotional limits, not by the opinions, choices, or even laws set forth by others. Even when one individual or organization tells others one thing, not everyone follows the herd. That is how leaders are born. That is how heroes rise, and greatness forges a change. How is this possible?? Simply... freewill. We all have it. We are all born with it, not just Americans, but EVERYONE. We all chose to lead, rebel, or simply to follow. We make those choices everyday sometimes in the simplest of forms, others in monumental life altering decisions. Either way, we all exercise freewill everyday. Freewill and freedom are two separate things, and sometimes I think we forget not only how important our physical freedom is and how grateful and appreciative we should be, but also how powerful our own individual freewill is and can be. We choose to vote, or choose not to exercise that right because the choices haven’t established themselves to be a clear representation of ourselves, our wants, needs, or opinions. Its still a choice. We choose to marry or commit ourselves to someone we believe to be our soulmate, or choose not to exercise that right because we haven’t found someone that we are that sure is “the one”. Still a freedom of choice. We choose to carry a fire arm for protection or justice, or we choose not to exercise that right because we don’t believe in violence or killing or the promotion of either. Still... a right of choice. We choose to attend church, read religious books, and practice the rituals established, or some of us choose never to even say His/Her name... still should be an individual choice. No one should tell you that you can’t, or that you have to. Sometimes you don't want either. There are countless other examples, but the point is, persecution, discrimination, and/or chastising should never be a choice whether you choose to exercise a right, or you choose to exercise the freedom not to choose.

Freedom and happiness are also two different things that should never be confused as being one in the same. Cat, you’re my friend. I’ve known you for several years now. As I’m not you, nor am I in your situation living your life, I would still like to offer up my thoughts. Marriage isn’t always all its cracked up to be... just ask someone who’s divorced and not by their choosing. On the other hand, when it does work out and last, it wasn’t because of a piece of paper, or because of any government recognition, or the endorsement of a certain religion. That piece of paper can be taken from you at any time whether you want it or not. The government can run out of benefits, or change laws at any time. And religion, don’t get me started on religion (I’ll save that for Daddee’s blog...) No one can change what your heart feels, except you. No one can decide for you who to love, who to commit yourself to, who you give your vows and promises to, or what commitments you make to whom. If all you say is true, then you’ve found the love of your life, and you’ve decided she’s your one and only “till death do you part letting no one else come between you”, including a piece of paper, a president, 51%, or any religions. Am I right?? Then why hang on to so much anger, frustration, and resentment?? Surround yourself and fill your life with love, happiness, and support. You have a wonderful and supportive friendship base here regardless of how we voted or our own political and/or religious views. We are all just trying to be as happy as we all can, just as you are. And sometimes that means making different choices from our neighbors, friends, or family. But its all the same freedoms, rights, and freewill. Again, there should be no persecution for individuality. The chasms of diversity felt in this country are because of the limitations of tolerance and acceptance set by the boundaries of our own social, emotional, and intellectual ignorance. This in turn leads to frustration, resentment, anger, bitterness, etc. A hostile environment both internally and externally making happiness, love, security, and compassion virtually impossible to grow, flourish, and prosper individually, and practically non-existent in society. United we will ALL stand together... divided we ALL will surely fall. Its not a matter or question of diversity or polar opposites, its about live and let live... equally.

As for rights and freedoms in this country, it is an incredible gift to be able to do as we choose, to have a voice, to be passionate, etc. But I believe discrimination and stereotyping is felt by everyone at one time or another during life and by varying degrees. Some of us for the color of our skin, others for their sexual orientations or preferences, others for their color of hair (hello?? duh...), some for their weight, others by their cup size, others for whom or what or how they chose to worship a higher power beyond themselves, others for where they’re from, the way they dress, the size of their bank accounts or lack there of, what they drive, who they voted for, IF they voted, where they got their degree, or IF they got a degree, etc. Unfortunately, discrimination and stereotyping is everywhere. I don’t believe any of us are completely immune, nor can we run, hide, or escape it.

I believe that with the concept of freedom, means there is more to life and choices than simply black and white, red party or blue party, gay or misogynism, atheism or Tammy Faye, blonde or Einstein, killer or complacent, happiness or Hitler. There is so much more to be cherished, savored, appreciated, and enjoyed... by ALL. Acceptance, tolerance, patience, understanding, education, compassion... Happiness and love is possible for everyone!!

Group hug... smile for the group picture... “chheeessee!!”... Now, everyone get along, play nice, and hike often!!

The resident Blond has spoken!!

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 11/8/2004, 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow. I'm speechless.

Perfect summation Ms. Blond.

Applause

I just HAD to archive this one to my own special spot.

Bravo
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 11/8/2004, 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You sure put some thought into that one! Well said!

I want to shine!
roger

PostPosted: 11/8/2004, 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No stereotypical Blond here.

Well said Ok

Thanks

roger
evenstar

PostPosted: 11/8/2004, 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

"others for their color of hair (hello?? duh...)" Or for the flavor ice cream they choose to put on their apple pie ala mode!

Well said Jaimi! Proud of my identical twin sister who's so very, very eloquent! Very Happy
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
paintninaz

PostPosted: 11/8/2004, 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

J Me...excellent post!! Applause

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: