ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Did you vote?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did you vote today?
Yes
97%
 97%  [ 37 ]
No
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Tried to
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 38

BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 11/5/2004, 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Canada in summer is interesting. I like to travel there but you will never get this American boy up there to actually live.

This is an image of the last time I set foot in North Dakota. Charley, my Micronesian friend and I are right on the Canadian border at the Peace Gardens. I am 17 years old, have just graduated Hollywood Hills High in southern Florida. I came back to see some friends, the parents and my north country girl. Within three years I would find my way to the southern deserts and here I would remain but I’ll never forget the long stretches of 40 below zero and that is not counting wind chill. Snow lay on the ground for six months. It was a frozen h#ll.

Two masterless Ronin. Had the world known we were coming, it would have run.

One year before this image was taken I met my first Canadian official one on one. I was 16 and had just traveled the entire coastline highway from San Diego to Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. The man told me I could not enter Canada without a note from my parents. Wrong thing to tell me. LOL I told him I would forge a nice note for him if he wanted. What was the difference. He took a long look at me and said, fine, come on in. I met some people who were hiding out up there. They had a little farm. There were two couples. We visited friends in the city and then everyone piled into a big van and we went to a beach. I told them I would be right along, that I needed to change into my cutoff jeans. They all laughed and told me that nobody needed any clothes on that beach. Now remember, I’m sixteen. Do you understand what that means? LOL So there I am laying on my stomach and the first thing that happens is an older woman of maybe twenty comes along, lays her blanket not more than ten feet away and strips. It was two hours before I could get up and play Frisbee. Everyone was there, people from a few months old to near seventy. That is how I would remember Vancouver in the middle of summer.

I remember the Forth of July when we where wearing winter coats. I remember Flin Flon in the middle of summer were everyone was wearing a coat. Then there was that sandwich shop lady in Bracebridge two years ago who tried to cheat me with her Canadian money. She was sharp witted and English. Finally like some character in a Monty Python movie I let her cheat me about half way.

Yes, a fun place to travel but I would never live there. The fact is all the Canadians are moving to Lake Chapala down near Guadalajara anyway. Laughing
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 11/5/2004, 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

cactuscat wrote:
That's a good one. Mr. Green

I didn't mean to imply that all Americans are arrogant, etc. - but a lot of us (at least 51%, I'd say) are.

And GTG, c'mon - this isn't "heated"; this has stayed quite civil, I think. Wink
I might be budding in where I ought not go, but what I'm hearing, is that Catuscat is venting frustration over her inability to marry legally in this country. The one person she loves. I would be pretty upset if I couldn't marry the one that I loved AND have the benefits that opposite sexed couples have.
Maybe I read into things too much. I certainly can empathize with her. Mary
Andy

PostPosted: 11/5/2004, 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm with Kristyn! I don't care who you voted for! Name calling is just childish!
You might have to stand in the corner for awhile if this continues. Wink

http://community.webshots.com/album/136917818udlQWZ
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/5/2004, 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Funny Beach story Glen Very Happy
roger

PostPosted: 11/5/2004, 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

I didn't mean to imply that all Americans are arrogant, etc. - but a lot of us (at least 51%, I'd say) are

Cactuscat,

I have never met you but from the sounds of your posts you appear to be very passionate with regards to your cause. You also appear to be very bitter, and as long as you hold onto those feelings you will go through life as a very unhappy sole. With those feelings of hatred, you have managed to alienate and offend "at lease 51%".
To hold strong feelings and to be vocal for a cause is a right that we have in our country. But as you live your life you will always find people who differ in their beliefs, life styles, etc.

If your goal is to find compassion, tolerance and understanding in people then I believe your current methods will lead you to a long journey of distrust, hatred, and unhappiness. It appears that by categorizing 51% of the people as arrogant, you have just fallen into the type of thinking which you are trying to change.
While you may feel you are open minded and tolerant, your actions which you have displayed on this board are as narrow minded as those "51%".

Only through understanding will you achieve the tolerance which you so desire. Then and only then will you achieve peace with the "51%"

roger
cactuscat

PostPosted: 11/5/2004, 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I really don't care about offending or alienating anyone, okay? I'm offended, to.

I'm not "bitter" or "unhappy" - self righteous, maybe. Wink

Yes, I think most people who vote for Bush!t are arrogant, selfish, bigoted and many other harsh words - although none of you are, I'm sure! I'm sure there must be some other reason to vote that way, I just can't comprehend it. We've tried to see things from the other side, but the issues are just to polarized - we'll never agree.

Someone mentioned to me in a PM that she doesn't care about people's sexual orientation (although she called it "preference", suggesting there's a choice) - she said that's "their business", not hers. I think that what she really means is that it's our "problem", not hers ... it doesn't affect her personally, so why would she care that millions of Americans are treated unequally and discriminated against?
For that matter why would she care that thousands of innocent Iraqis are being killed? As long as it's not us being raped and shot, then it's okay apparently - that is why I see Republicans as selfish.

Also, to that person I refered to about the PM - Misty is my wife, not my "wife".

Okay, now it's starting to get "heated" so I've said all I'm going to say on this thread - if anyone wants to continue, then let's do it privately.
cactuscat

PostPosted: 11/5/2004, 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Awesome picture, Glen! You were too cute.
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 11/5/2004, 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

For anyone who is interested - the dialog continues on my blog.

As a side note, I am enjoying all this tremendously, and thanks to all those with the patience and tollerance to read my blatherings and write thoughtful responses. I truly enjoy hearing about your beliefs and thoughts. Even if I disagree with you, I still find it invaluable to be able to understand a little more.

I hope, once again, that I have not offended anyone. I certainly don't intend to, but, I'm not very good about that kind of thing most of the time so, if I have offended, please accept my appologies.

It is never, ever intended to be personal. Really. I'm just not too bright is all.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
analoggirl03

PostPosted: 11/5/2004, 10:08 pm    Post subject: Diane's daughter = me Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi!
I posted this on one of you hiking kid's blogs but i thought i'd stick it here too cause it always annoys me when people get upset about people being critical of their governments.

"As far as being ashamed to be an american, i think thats completely acurate. Complain if you will but i dont love america like a three year old loves her mommie. i love america like a grown up, For all its faults, its triumphs and failures; however like in an adult love i want to see my loved one do better. In the same way that i'm ashamed to be in public with my boyfriend (whom i love very much) when hes behaving like a retard i'm also ashamed of america when it acts retarded."

Similarly, if my boyfriend refused to marry me because he was on his high horse touting morality as his excuse for totaly biggotry, I'd dump him and move to canada too!
Andy

PostPosted: 11/5/2004, 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Diane's daughter = me Reply to topic Reply with quote

analoggirl03 wrote:
Hi!
I posted this on one of you hiking kid's blogs but i thought i'd stick it here too cause it always annoys me when people get upset about people being critical of their governments.

"As far as being ashamed to be an american, i think thats completely acurate. Complain if you will but i dont love america like a three year old loves her mommie. i love america like a grown up, For all its faults, its triumphs and failures; however like in an adult love i want to see my loved one do better. In the same way that i'm ashamed to be in public with my boyfriend (whom i love very much) when hes behaving like a retard i'm also ashamed of america when it acts retarded."

Similarly, if my boyfriend refused to marry me because he was on his high horse touting morality as his excuse for totaly biggotry, I'd dump him and move to canada too!

Did you join the site just to tell us that? Or are you going to take a hike soon? Razz

http://community.webshots.com/album/136917818udlQWZ
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 11/5/2004, 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Welll, if she's anything like Diane, then she'll be out on the trails kicking our butts when she's a grandma too...

Shades
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 11/6/2004, 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok Tom, How did you know that was my Katie? She didn't say who she was did she? Question

I want to shine!
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 11/6/2004, 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ummmmm.

"Post Subject: Diane's daughter = me"

Shades
analoggirl03

PostPosted: 11/6/2004, 3:37 pm    Post subject: off trail section? hehehe Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am not a huge hiking fan i figured that since the topic was unrelated to hiking however that i was free to say it.

mom youre slow. =)
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 11/6/2004, 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

analoggirl03 wrote:

mom youre slow. =)

If you saw her out there cruising over hills up mountains you may amend that statement. Laughing

I have been thinking about this thread for a couple of days. I think what makes this site so special is the closeness, like brothers and sisters who may not agree all the time but who care for each other. I know; Who's our Daddy? Mr. Green Hoolie I reckon? Mr. Green The passions have run high on this thread and maybe a few words have been passed that could have been more moderate but that is how this whole election has gone. We are just a little microcosm of the whole thing.

Yesterday I had to pick up a guy at the airport who flew in from Connecticut. The first thing he wanted to do was talk about the election and politics. Now I am very interested in what he and all of you have to say and that is sincere but I told him that I don't discuss politics at work or most anywhere else either but I do listen and I do vote. He said same with him but continued on for 45 minutes on the whole affair. I am really more of an observer anyway and found what he had to say fascinating just as I have found this thread fascinating. I care about everyone who has responded and I think you do too. I don't agree with everything but I sympathize with the hurting and admire the passion of everyone.

I think this was the year when America really woke up to the fact that every vote counts and there is a reason for needing to do it. We will demand more of our leaders in the future because of it and think harder about our choices.

I am not a real smart guy and honestly don't know the right and wrong in many things. Perhaps some of the things I believe are my choices are actually driven by pre-arranged brain cells like jewels in a cosmic clock, the moon and tides, learned somewhere along the trail or some ancient forces within and without. I am really not smart enough to know so I won’t pretend to but I do know that nobody is smart enough to know everything. At least all of us here (save one Mr. Green) enjoy the passion of hiking through the enchanted landscape we call Arizona. Just being out there seems to put things into a perspective that is right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: