ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Presidents Day backpack to Reavis Ranch - Planning Forum
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
desertgirl

PostPosted: 2/5/2003, 5:35 pm    Post subject: Presidents Day backpack to Reavis Ranch - Planning Forum Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is the planning area for the

Presidents Day backpack to Reavis Ranch

Please post on this thread if you are going -- Other comments at the previous thread please.....

I will pull some trail info from previous thread & summarize it here.

Key information needed:

Who is still going -- how many in party ?
Transportation needs -- Do you have a 4x4 that can be used & how many additional opening you have for car-pool?
evenstar

PostPosted: 2/5/2003, 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Presidents Day backpack to Reavis Ranch - Planning Forum Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
Do you have a 4x4 that can be used

4X4 not needed unless recent rains. Fairly high clearance sedan can make it, just check the fillings in your teeth every mile or so. Wink
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
mike t

PostPosted: 2/5/2003, 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm in. Have 4X4 forerunner. Can take myself plus 1 with gear, maybe 2 with gear if we're all light packers. If we can stash gear in someone elses truck I can haul 3 people comfortably, 4 in a pinch.
tinhorn

PostPosted: 2/5/2003, 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm still in, for now have full size 4X4 extended cab can hall 4 plus gear
Agree
desert dweller

PostPosted: 2/5/2003, 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am in. What I would like to do is do the three day backpack mentioned as a possibility in the original posts. I figure on arriving early Saturday morning and getting a start onthe trail and hiking out on Monday.

I can carry two others, in the cab of my Dakota 4X4, and plenty of gear.

Are there any other folks who are planning on doing the three-day hike?

As the time gets nearer, hopefully there will be some more detail.

dd
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 2/5/2003, 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hopefully Mike will post my addition which, as usual was lost when I was Timed out by MSN... Neverl learned to cut and paste.. Embarassed
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 2/5/2003, 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

CatValet wrote:
Hopefully Mike will post my addition which, as usual was lost when I was Timed out by MSN... Neverl learned to cut and paste.. Embarassed

From Randy...

We are in. Don't know if for two days or three. Work is real weird now, so it'll be the last minute before I know about Monday. We hope to drive up to Rogers Trough this weekend to check out the road and if my Nissan 2wd truck can make it.. Here's the details on the road and hike geography:

Two miles east of Florence Junction on US 60, turn left (north) onto Queen Creek Road. There is an old sign there from a residential development up that road a piece. 1.6 miles up this road, take Hewitt Station Road to the right for three miles to FS 172. Take 172 ten miles to the junction with FS 172A. Unless you have high clearance, this may be as far as you go. There are some places to pull off and park near this junction. Three more miles up FS 172A gets us to Rogers Trough at an elevation of 4800 feet.. From here it is 6.1 to the old ranch house remains. The first 1.5 is a 400 foot drop downhill to the junction with the Rogers Canyon Trail. The next 1.5 is an 800 foot climb up to Reavis Saddle at 5200 feet. From here, the trail is a gradual downhill the last three miles or so to the ranch house ruin at just under 5000 feet. Surrounded by Peaks of 5200 to 6200, it is in a cold air drainage which supports ponderosa pines and pinions not normally expected in the Superstitions. The Reavis Creek area from 1/3 mile south of the ranch to a mile north of the ranch is a beautiful area with numerous great camping spots. I prefer the areas north of the actual ranch site. Water should be treated or filtered. I'll check on recent reports from the Mesa Ranger district on water availability....Should be some, but we may have to hunt a bit....

About 1/3 mile south of the Ranch is the Fireline Trail. This trail goes east to Campaign Creek. At a pass on this trail is the unsigned route to Circlestone Ruin, a place of some conjecture, which seems to be about 800 years old, possibly Salado Indian, or maybe Hooligan Wink Seriously, Reavis Ranch was for a time in the 1930s owned by "Hoolie Bacon" who also has a trail south of the Tortilla Trailhead named for him. So we really have the second Hoolie of the Mountains. The round trip from the Ranch to Circlestone is just over 2.5, making for a fun day two.

The route out is, of course, a modest climb of about 200 feet to Reavis Saddle in the first 1.5, then downhill to the Rogers canyon junctions, and a 400 climb back up the last 1.5 to the TH.

Temperatures at Reavis should be on the cool side at night. Temperatures should be a tad lower than those reported for Globe. Also, this is a location where appropriate cleanliness and camp food security should be practiced. This is bear country, and more so after the Lone Pine Four Peaks fire a while back which displaced a number of bruins from that area due to habitat loss. I've never actually seen a bear in the Reavis drainage, but have cut some sign. The Angel Basin area and the Frog Springs trail from there to the Plow Saddle area on the Reavis Trail north of the ranch are also prime habitat. Seen more action near Frog Springs and upper Fish Creek, but folks, this is no place to have Krispy Kremes or sardines, or even deodorant and toothpaste in your tent. Not to make anyone nervous- Bears are generally agreeable folks, they just like to east almost as much as I do. The Reavis area is a great good place, and one of Arizona's best treasures. Hope to see Y'all there. -R
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 2/6/2003, 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm hoping to hike in early Sat and out on Monday. I really want to do this one.

We were just on this road last Sunday when we did the Rogers Canyon Cliff Dweeling loop, in via Woodbury Trailhead out via Rogers Trough Trailhead. The road was in great shape, it had just been freshly graded a day or two before. One of the vehicles we took in was a sedan. I did have two flat tires but that was just a freakish thing Exclamation

I have been around a lot of bear and like Randy said( via his tech support) Mr. Green they are generally very unagressive and mind their own business. It is always a good idea to keep your food seperated from your pack and your tent, while in camp.

Nice information on the trail Randy Laughing
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 2/6/2003, 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm out for medical reasons. I really wish I could go though - I haven't done a really good backpacking trip for a couple of years. I used to go backpacking almost every weekend - but strangely that has tapered off (stopped) since I got married.

Oh, well. I'd rather be with her than with you guys anyway Very Happy ...no offense.

Anyway - I hope you all have a great trip, and throw a log on the fire at night for me.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 2/6/2003, 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dadee: Just between us, I'll volunteer to carry your heavy stuff....That way you can carry Caleb Shocked -R
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 2/6/2003, 4:32 pm    Post subject: count us in Reply to topic Reply with quote

messami and myself are planning on going. We'll be going in sometime Saturday morning. Not terribly early though, messami has to close Friday. We paln on hiking back out on Sunday, hopefully we can go by Cirlclestone sometime Saturday or Sunday.

GTG
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 2/6/2003, 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great GTG! That settles it! You can carry Caleb, and Dadee will have no load at all....

I was hoping for his rendition of "Oh What a Beautiful Morning" Sunday am Wink
evenstar

PostPosted: 2/6/2003, 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK, GTG in his infinite idiocy (That's right, Idiocy! GTG has no wisdom unless it's associated with his teeth) is trying to talk me into doing this hike with Dew! I'm going to take her on a couple of hikes in the White Tanks in the coming week to see how she does. A Basenji has to stay on a leash 'cause they're natural predators and off leash, she go hunting. We'll see. Rolling Eyes
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 2/6/2003, 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh man, we'd love to have you both. There's room in my bag for a 'senji. It could be cold, and BTUs (Basenji thermal units) are an added plus....

GTG could pack in Dew, but he's volunteered to carry Caleb....Of course we could always tie Dew's leash round his neck Twisted Evil

This'll be Valet2's first real backpacking trip, and she was so hoping the Wizard would be there. -R
azhiker96

PostPosted: 2/6/2003, 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am still planning on this hike. I have to work that Monday so I'm part of the in Saturday, out Sunday group. I do have a Grand Cherokee and can carry 4 plus gear. Hopefully we'll have a clear night. We should be able to see thousands of stars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: