ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Superstition Ridgeline Hike ->Carney Springs to Siphon Dr
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 2/13/2003, 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

after doing the Flatiron I am highly interested in doing the whole ridgeline. It looks like a really neet hike.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Wiz

PostPosted: 2/28/2003, 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Whoa! Trail?? What are you guys talking about? I've only done the ridgeline once (as an overnighter, from Carney Springs), but other than some intermittent game trails, I don't recall any trails or spurs. I went around Superstition Peak to the east, scrabbling over a steep shale slope. At the far end I ended up on a little mesa that didn't seem to offer any way to proceed. It took us about 15 minutes to figure out that you had to ease down this little chimney thing to continue. A little ways beyond that was a small saddle where we camped.

Was I on the same ridge line as the rest of you? I went about 5 years ago, so maybe it's changed.
Also, learning both ends of the trail is great advice. I did that and still got lost at the west end! Took about 1 1/2 extra hours to find Siphon Draw. We ran out of water while looking.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 2/28/2003, 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I had the same concern, but am told there is now a well worn path. Take that for what it's worth, not my first had experience.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 2/28/2003, 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I did the ridgeline a little over a year ago. There is a good, easily followed trail for most of the way. There are only a couple of spots where there isn't a trail, and that's when you cross over areas of bare rock. Even those were cairned, though. We lost the trail just once and found it just over the next small peak. Wiz, I think we camped in the same small saddle you mentioned. It's at the head of Hieroglyphic Canyon.
gps_hiker

PostPosted: 2/28/2003, 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I did the route solo a few weeks back starting at Siphon Draw TH and certain parts are getting worn and there are more carns since last year.

There are also a couple chimney's to climb which can be confusing.

Route is still faint in parts & doesn't get enough traffic so bring your route finding expertise or GPS to keep you from getting lost or at least on trail.

Other half of my party had to abort a Double Ridgeline due to getting lost at the start coming up from Carney Springs b/4 dawn. (they'd hiked Ridgeline 5 times b/4)

Wiz wrote:
Whoa! Trail?? What are you guys talking about? I've only done the ridgeline once (as an overnighter, from Carney Springs), but other than some intermittent game trails, I don't recall any trails or spurs. I went around Superstition Peak to the east, scrabbling over a steep shale slope. At the far end I ended up on a little mesa that didn't seem to offer any way to proceed. It took us about 15 minutes to figure out that you had to ease down this little chimney thing to continue. A little ways beyond that was a small saddle where we camped.
cactuscat

PostPosted: 2/28/2003, 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

When we did the Ridgeline in November there was a pretty good trail the whole way. Two of our group had done it before, though, so without them it may have been a little harder - but really the route finding didn't seem to be any big deal.
Wiz

PostPosted: 2/28/2003, 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
Wiz, I think we camped in the same small saddle you mentioned. It's at the head of Hieroglyphic Canyon.

Yes! That's the one. We watched the lights come on below as it got dark - incredible! You could see the curve of the earth outlined in lights! Southern Comfort and cigars rounded out the experience.

Re. Getting lost on the ridge: I don't get that. How can you get lost? It's a ridgeline! I mean, there's the other end right over there!
(Well, actually, I did get lost looking for Siphon Draw so I guess it's possible).
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 2/28/2003, 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wiz, check my photos on the Ridgeline page on HAZ. http://hikearizona.com/photocodeZOOM.php?ID=246&TNI=126

The sunset photos were taken from that saddle. The night we were there, there was a winter storm moving into the Valley. This was the weekend after Thanksgiving 2001. The next morning, we had drizzle and even a bit of snow.
gps_hiker

PostPosted: 2/28/2003, 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wiz wrote:

Re. Getting lost on the ridge: I don't get that. How can you get lost? It's a ridgeline! I mean, there's the other end right over there!
(Well, actually, I did get lost looking for Siphon Draw so I guess it's possible).

Party I know lost the trail coming up from Carney Springs in the dark b/4 dawn with headlamps but made it the Flat Iron b/4 turning back.

1st time across Ridgeline we got off trail several times on top but never lost--hiking through the cactus/bushes alot more work/pain than the regular route.
Wiz

PostPosted: 2/28/2003, 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
Wiz, check my photos on the Ridgeline page on HAZ. http://hikearizona.com/photocodeZOOM.php?ID=246&TNI=126

The sunset photos were taken from that saddle. The night we were there, there was a winter storm moving into the Valley. This was the weekend after Thanksgiving 2001. The next morning, we had drizzle and even a bit of snow.

Great pictures, thanks!

I don't recognize the view from the saddle in that lighting, but I sure recognize that little chimney thing with the photo looking up at you. That was just west of Sup. peak, right? It took us a while to decide that that was the way to go. From there we had to do some serious boulder-hopping to get to the saddle, where we collapsed.

Ah, memories.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 2/28/2003, 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

I don't recognize the view from the saddle in that lighting,

Those were taken from the hillside just beyond the saddle.

Quote:

That was just west of Sup. peak, right?

You got it! That was the only place on the trip we had to lower packs. That's what we were doing in the photo.
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 2/28/2003, 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That's where you lowered my remains, right? -R
cactuscat

PostPosted: 2/28/2003, 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike wrote:

You got it! That was the only place on the trip we had to lower packs. That's what we were doing in the photo.

I remember that spot, too. I've got a picture in the same spot of Jaimi and Kristyn coming down behind me - we kept our packs on, though.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 2/28/2003, 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

we kept our packs on, though.

You guys did it as a dayhike. We were backpacking.
cactuscat

PostPosted: 2/28/2003, 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah we did - they were smaller packs.
I wasn't trying to insult you!

Jeez - I still thought that little spot wasn't anything special, but probably would have taken off a pack large enough to get in the way.

My only problem on that hike was struggling with the uphills, they seemed never ending to me! Crying or Very sad Sweat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: