ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
MSR Trekker Insert
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 10/14/2004, 3:54 pm    Post subject: MSR Trekker Insert Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is what Kent has but I found this on The Summit Huts website last night and when down, had them set it up and then bought it today.

It's called the MSR Trekker Insert

This 2-person mesh tent weighs just 2 pounds.
40 square feet of space, with 3 zippered entryways, provides room for 2 people plus gear.
Mesh walls and a waterproof floor offer complete bug protection.

I always carry my 8x10 siltarp anyway so with this I can look at the stars and sleep two in bugless comfort only erecting the siltarp if it looks like rain or wind. The siltarp is 14 oz so for about 3 lbs I have a two season shelter, or more like three season out this way.

It set me back 110 bucks.

I am trying my best to get the pack lighter so I can get as far as I can out there. This is quality stuff as all MSR products are.

When we were up in Ontario it rained every day. We used the siltarp to cook and lounge under. I don't like crawling into a tent unless I'm going to sleep. A good tarp is a much more cheerful shelter to hang out under.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 10/14/2004, 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: MSR Trekker Insert Reply to topic Reply with quote

BoyNhisDog wrote:

I am trying my best to get the pack lighter so I can get as far as I can out there.

Awesome!

nice toy, Glen

OUTEK has this item on sale for $76.93. I think Im gonna go for it
they are a great company whom Ive done business before

what i do
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 10/14/2004, 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Awesome price Mike.

For me The Summit Hut service is worth the extra. They set it up for me to try so I knew exactly what I was getting. All this with a smile even though their huge parking lot sale starts saturday. The sale is always hard on them, there is so much work to do and thousands of people come pouring in.

I saw a few other things that I had to walk away from like a great Gregory backpack and a new Lafuma sleeping bag that stuffed the size of a one liter nagalene bottle. I'll have to go back and read Mary's post to see if that is what she has.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 10/14/2004, 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Is Summit Hut in Tuscon? That looks like a cool little bug-free tent.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 10/14/2004, 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, two stores one near the Tucson Mall and the other on Speedway. I hang out at the one near the Mall a lot. My credit card loves me. They do give good service and a nice line of products--although at times REI has more selection.
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 10/14/2004, 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glen, I have a new Gregory G-pack, it's an anti gravity pack (size small is 2 pounds 9 ounces), and fits my smaller frame. That's a bonus, they don't think of short or female, often when building packs. I guess, we are still a minority?! (I'm being very opinionated today). My sleeping bag and down jacket is from Montbell, they are expensive, but I'm finding well worth the price that I've paid. http://www.montbell.com/america/index.asp
Mary
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 10/14/2004, 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mary I looked at two Gregory packs. I liked the slightly heavier one that was 3 lbs 5 oz for the size large. I already have and have been using a Western Mountaineering Ultralight bag for a couple of years now. It is about right for me in most three season use. The Lafuma bag I saw might be good for a summer bag. I'll check it out more. I also have the WM Flight jacket and really like that for taking the late evening or early morning chill off. It is indepensible as a pillow.

I might never be considered ultralight but I do strive for light. My camera gear weighs about 7 lbs and I sooner not go as leave it behind. However, I choose to go and go with it. Mr. Green

Oh, and I take my own toothbrush. Mr. Green
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 10/14/2004, 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I like the WM flight jacket. Havent worn it yet, Just got it.
Mary, did you copy Sunhiker's idea?!?! I thought the Montbell down hugger #2 was a great choice.
Glen, if you want to go "nuts" use a childs arm floatie for a pillow, just cut it in half along the seam, it inflates to 3". Crazy huh?
Is it the Lafuma Warm 'n Lite? 1lb 12oz 27*
I take a toothbrush too, and also use it as a potscrubber. Wacko

what i do
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 10/14/2004, 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike, Yes, it was GB that turned me onto that site. I'm very happy with all that I've ordered from them. I actually learned with my last backpack to Havasu, that if I don't need a sleeping bag, I can sleep on my bivy and go into it when the winds pick up. I slept very well and never even took my sleeping bag out of it's sack. I also use my MSR Dromlite as a pillow after I fill it with water. Mary
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 10/14/2004, 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mikeinFHAZ wrote:

Is it the Lafuma Warm 'n Lite? 1lb 12oz 27*

Mike they had at least two models but I didn't get the names yet. I will try to check them again Saturday.

Oh, Tim I usually go to the Speedway store. It's closer to me. Both stores are great. I'm one of those guys who buys all of his clothes at one store, no shopping sprees around town for me. I just to to the Summit Hut and find something there. Like Letty says, they are in Tucson. I've been going there for 20 years now. In the younger days I used Bob's Bargain Barn but as you may have heard a long time ago they are no more. Even Edward Abbey wrote about Bob's in the Monkey Wrench Gang. Haduke used to shop there.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 10/14/2004, 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm not sure if this is what Kent has but I found this on The Summit Huts

Very similar, keeps the rattlesnakes from crawling in your bag with you, but still leaves you in the fresh air and able to observe the night sky.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 10/14/2004, 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

well Glen Im thinking whatever model it is should be a good buy. Lafuma looks like they have some great gear, and low low prices. A 650 fill down bag for $130? too cool. Another idea for folks on a budget, is to use a vinyl tablecloth for a footprint. Just cut to size, its waterproof, puncture resistant and low cost. Got mine from the Dollar store. Tyvek also works well.

what i do
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 10/14/2004, 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:

Is Summit Hut in Tuscon? That looks like a cool little bug-free tent.

http://www.summithut.com/ It's worth the drive to Tucson just to go there! Yes
DesertRoux

PostPosted: 10/15/2004, 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great shelter BoyNhisDog. If you buy the MSR tarp that goes over the insert, it looks to be a pretty bombproof backcountry house. With the tarp and the insert I believe your still can keep it under 5lb.
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 10/17/2004, 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We set up the shelter today way out on a bushwhack in the desert. It went up fast and easy with two people and came down and packed away just as easy.

This will fit two people in comfort with plenty of space. You can sit up in the center, one on each end.

You can see how I did the 8x10 siltarp. It is flush with the back side of the shelter and the front creates a great front porch. This could be turned 90 degrees and made flush on both sides for a weather proof shelter. We carry two sil-nylon ponchos which could be used on either end for even more wind/water protection. All this for only three pounds of weight.

There are many ways to set this up. The one issue if it rains is the pooling effect. One would need to tie out one corner to a tree or find a piece of dead wood for a pole and then use one trekking pole for a center peak pole in the middle of the porch. We have done this very thing in Canada where it does occasionally rain.

We did see some big cat tracks on this bushwhack so anticipation was high. Then we jumped a fellow bushwhacker who just about screamed like an eight year old girl. He calmed down and asked me if I knew where we were. I showed him how to get back to the trailhead.

Then we came across a hearty little backpacker who seems totally at home way out there.

I didn't want to bother him so I clicked a couple of quick snaps and asked a by-your-leave and went on so he could do his own thing. It was a great day in southern Arizona.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: