ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Anyone know what this is?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
cakewalk

PostPosted: 10/13/2004, 1:25 pm    Post subject: Anyone know what this is? Reply to topic Reply with quote

I find this to be an unusual growth pattern:

Think it might growup to be a rare crested saguaro?

More images here:

Cactus

Click to see large size.

Any thoughts?
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/13/2004, 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Could be a crested barrel cactus -- seems to have a hooked spine

If it is a saguaro -- its one short crested saguaro!
HUM469

PostPosted: 10/13/2004, 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, that is a Saguaro, and apparently it is growing to be crested. Although I could have sworn the malformation does not occur untill they are much older, and therefor taller. But yep, crested saguaro alright, about 10 years old or so. The crest is a result of a genetic mutation, and I have always found them fascinating. Are you willing to share where you found this little guy so I can go check out it's surroundings? I have a theory on their developement and would love to check it out.
Real Estate Executive to AZ
Special Projects Manager, AZCDE.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/13/2004, 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HUM469 wrote:
Yes, that is a Saguaro, and apparently it is growing to be crested. Although I could have sworn the malformation does not occur untill they are much older, and therefor taller. But yep, crested saguaro alright, about 10 years old or so. The crest is a result of a genetic mutation, and I have always found them fascinating. Are you willing to share where you found this little guy so I can go check out it's surroundings? I have a theory on their developement and would love to check it out.

Just curious -- why saguaro ?
cakewalk

PostPosted: 10/13/2004, 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HUM469 wrote:

Yes I will tell you where it is.... Its in Glendale, thunderbird park.

It's not visible from the road or trail and I dont have a gps. I will be happy to take you there. I am fasinated by this and would love to hear your thoughts.

PM sent.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 10/13/2004, 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Just curious -- why saguaro ?

Desertgirl, I'm not so sure it is a Saguaro either. As you say the needles appear to be hooked like a Barrel Cactus. Saguaro needles aren't hooked like that.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 10/13/2004, 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Cakewalk not to get off subject but are you going to Plan another Quartz Peak hike this year? That was my 1st AZH event last year.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 10/13/2004, 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm with Desertgirl and Captain Heat on this one, I think it's a barrel cactus. A young saguaro would have a nurse plant, there's no sign of one here.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 10/13/2004, 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you view the first image in the series, you will clearly see the needles are red and I notice them being hooked also. I would say that is a Barrel.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 10/13/2004, 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

here is a pic of a crested barrel in bloom
cakewalk

PostPosted: 10/13/2004, 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So is a crested barrel cactus more common than the sagauro? I cant find any info about crested barrel cacti.

Davis2001r6:
Concerning Quarts peak, I wasnt planning anything, but picacho peak might be fun.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 10/13/2004, 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://www.mineralarts.com/cactus/barrels.html
This is where I found the pic I posted
Have know idea about how common they are.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 10/13/2004, 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Arizonaheat wrote:
http://www.mineralarts.com/cactus/barrels.html
This is where I found the pic I posted
Have know idea about how common they are.
I'm pretty sure it's a crested fishook barrel cactus. I've only seen a couple. For fewer than crested Saguaros.
HUM469

PostPosted: 10/14/2004, 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Perhapse my monitor sucks... that or my eyesight! I cannot get enough resolution to make out a hook on the needles, and I do not trust the color all that much because I don't have mine color calibrated. If you guys can see it, I trust both in your vision, as well as the short comings of my own equipement here.
Real Estate Executive to AZ
Special Projects Manager, AZCDE.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 10/14/2004, 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Its a barrel. Disease, freezing or genetics may cause these. Next time you are in White Canyon Wilderness take note there are several crested barrels. Also one near the intersection of Ironwood and Southern (SE cornor) in Apache Junction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: