ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Camping--San Pedro River

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
chihiggs

PostPosted: 2/3/2003, 10:23 pm    Post subject: Camping--San Pedro River Reply to topic Reply with quote

Does anyone have any info about camping near the San Pedro River between San Manuel -- Redington? Or further South between Redington and Benson? What about water levels, types of fish or great little spots you may feel like sharing?!? I'm taking a 4x4 and would like to do a little hiking, fishing just basically goofin' off for a weekend. Lots of relaxin'.

I haven't been to the area before so if you have info to give; remember your are telling someone that's ignorant regarding the area.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!
desert dweller

PostPosted: 2/4/2003, 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I hate to break it to you. But, there isn't any fish in the San Pedro that far north because the river doesn't flow regularly there. As far as hiking, there is plenty both towards the Galiuros on the east and Reddington Pass to the west.

If you want to find permanent water in the San Pedro you need to go to the San Pedro Riparian Area south of Sierra Vista. I don't know if fishing is allowed there or not.

The upper Gila in eastern Az and western NM has water and fish.

Good luck and have fun.
chihiggs

PostPosted: 2/4/2003, 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you for letting me know Dessert Dweller!! By chance do you know if there is currently water as far North as Redington. Fishing isn't a must, getting out and relaxing is... Wink

Thanks again for your help. That would have been a tough lesson to stomach!!
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 2/5/2003, 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Land along the San Pedro from Redington is mostly private property, right now their is no water. State trust lands are also located along the San Pedro but these lands are closed and are leased by the mining companies, they obtain water from wells for the mines. Some lands the mining companies exchanged with the BLM, however these lands are still posted private property. The Arizona Boys Ranch at one time had a campground along the Old Mtn Lemmon Highway.
chihiggs

PostPosted: 2/6/2003, 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the input--you've both saved me from a bummer. I'll look to someplace else...maybe even the Verde River. It's near but I was hoping not to run into anyone and there's always people up there...especially on a weekend. I might try the Gila River suggestion. Never been down that way...chilly this weekend but that's OK.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: