ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Bark Scorpion Encounter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 7/30/2004, 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

srlatty wrote:
Sheri, We moved here in April 2000. I didn't see a scorpion until this Spring. Since then, we have had 8, that I can remember. As my neighbor says, "You may not see them, but they're there"

I have heard that if your development is built on old farmland, you have a better chance of not having scorpions. The years of fertilizer, insecticide, etc, will help to keep them away. Of course, this also means that it is saturated in the ground around your house! Lesser of 2 evils??

Lesser of two weevils?
Ok I couldn't resist!! Chuckle

I am on farm land, I was told they boarded horses here.
Across Van Buren (I'm in Avondale) are cotton fields.
I don't have grass, we put in all rocks.
No fruit trees. (they attract scorpions right?)

After I read all these posts, I now have my feet on my chair pedestal Eek

Sheri Hiking
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 7/30/2004, 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

[quote="sherileeaz"]
srlatty wrote:
Sheri, We moved here in April 2000. I didn't see a scorpion until this Spring. Since then, we have had 8, that I can remember. As my neighbor says, "You may not see them, but they're there"

Lesser of two weevils?
Ok I couldn't resist!! :chuckle:

I am on farm land, I was told they boarded horses here.
Across Van Buren (I'm in Avondale) are cotton fields.
I don't have grass, we put in all rocks.
No fruit trees. (they attract scorpions right?)

After I read all these posts, I now have my feet on my chair pedestal :eek:

Sheri :hiking:
Hey Shar, I've slept on the ground many times, watched one follow Matt Gilbert around when we overnighted before Battleship mountain (remember that, Mary? :)) ), had one in my bed in Tucson and had several in the bathtub when it was really dry outside.

They are not insects (they're arachnids like spiders) and a real cool animal. And like spiders they live everywhere humans do. They usually don't sting unless truly scared and backed into a corner, etc. Their venom is meant to incapacitate insects and small animal enemys. The problem for animals our size is cumulative allergic reactions.

Once my son filled the bathtub and got in; well there was one probably trying to get a drink at the drain, and unable to climb out of the bath tub. My son was stung in the toe, in the water, and had the usual numbness for a few days.

I've climbed some "jungle" drainages and overnighted a bunch of times in the Supes and seen a few scorpions. But so far, shaking-out boots, sleeping bags and backpacks, has worked pretty well. I don't think you have much to worry about in your house.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 7/31/2004, 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
They are not insects (they're arachnids like spiders) and a real cool animal.

I had a bigger one sting me on the finger while I was lifting an empty pallet one time in 1988. My hand was tingly and numb for a while. I took the rest of the day off from work and self-medicated at home the rest of the afternoon.

I've seen them catch moths out of the air with their pincers.

They glow under a black light, ranger Pam down at Phantom Ranch carries one in her pocket at night for just such occasions. Black light that is, ask Stan, Hooli and Lawnmower Man about it.

I've seen them resuscitate after being submerged under water and "drowned".

The most interesting time I found one was when I used to live in "The Bungalos". He was on the inside face of a bathroom cabinet drawer. I spotted him in mid-Hooli.

GTG
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 7/31/2004, 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I live next to the Park, (So.Mtn.) and spot one every now and then in the house. I've never seeen one outside. Only been stung once, and it wasn't pleasant but not all that traumatic. I called Poison Control and they monitored me every hour. I experienced the usual numbness, but the wierdest thing was a strange metallic taste in my mouth.
Suzaz

PostPosted: 7/31/2004, 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Spraying chemicals for scorpions?
I thought that you had to dust with a powder that they had to crawl through and ingest. I worry that the sprays are bad for the bunnies and quail. I had my home "scorpion sealed" when it was built. I believe that I have fewer scorpions than my neighbors.

I woke up at 3am the other day, (who knows what woke me) threw on the light in the bathroom and looked up above the sinks and saw a beautiful red scorpion beelining across the wall up near the ceiling. I didn't want to squish it up there because I wasn't sure how I'd get the scorpion guts off, it was up pretty high. Have you ever seen them spread their pinchers and fly? I'm telling you this guy was airborne. He didn't live much past that solo flight.

I have seen a person go into shock after a scorpion sting. Trembling and drenched in sweat from head to toe. Poison control says that's okay, too..........just need to have someone else around to monitor for swelling and all the other signs mentioned in this thread.

My parents pulled 88 scorpions off the backyard block fence in Tempe over a one week period of time. I think my father was trying for the record, which I believe is 144 in a week. Crazy

I love cats and wish I could have one that looks just like Mike's. I know it would be great for controling the mice and scorpions. How do you suppose that type of cat would do with the hawks and coyotes out here?
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 7/31/2004, 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We just feed the birds. They take care of the insect problem while they are there. We do have a great Curved Bill Thrasher population, some of who were born in our yard. They dig up the edges and eat all insects. I suppose scorpions would be on the menu. We have not had a problem here so far.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 7/31/2004, 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suzaz wrote:

How do you suppose that type of cat would do with the hawks and coyotes out here?
They might be a little big for a hawk, but it would still be a concern. Females can get upwards of 15 pounds and males up to 20 pounds. A coyote would definitely be a threat. Our's is not really an outdoor cat. We have a second floor patio and she'll hang out there for 10 or 15 minutes watching the birds in the trees next to the patio. But, the first sound she hears she can't identify, she's right back inside. If she saw a scorpion, she might sniff at it, then back away if it moved. I don't think she'd try to catch it. They're actually pretty mellow cats, they don't sneak around and are very intelligent, affectionate & loyal. Puff is a wild thing during the full moon, though... Shocked
Suzaz

PostPosted: 7/31/2004, 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh, I know a couple of people she would fit right in with.........

Wasn't it a big ole full moon last night?
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 7/31/2004, 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It was close last night, but the full moon is actually tonight. Puff's "wild child" phase includes a couple of days before the full moon and a couple after. Boy are we glad Earth only has one moon!! Mr. Green
samiam

PostPosted: 7/31/2004, 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well i have never been stung by a scorpion,BUT i have been bit by a copper head,stung three times by widows and been bombarded by wasps with one gluing itself to my upper lip and stinging profusely,almost been hit three times by three different rattlers and i do own doggy's and cats,i prefer the company of a dog due to the versatility of them.My cat will kill about anything that moves including bugs and fly's. I had a wire haired terrier at one time that actually snatched a rattler from mid air while trying to bite my grandfather so i dont know if that can compare to a cat,at least a domestic..Sun Hiker ? i would have never guessed you didn't like cat's but i totally understand,sometimes the sneaking can get weird,especially when they are looking right at you...
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 7/31/2004, 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suzaz wrote:
Oh, I know a couple of people she would fit right in with.........

Wasn't it a big ole full moon last night?
Yup, hah-ha! A Blue Moon, like tonight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: