ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Bark Scorpion Encounter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 7/29/2004, 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm pretty sure you guys just haven't met the right dog yet.

Did they teach you to read in college... Rolling Eyes I Never said I don't like dogs. I love dogs! Don't pumpkin put words in mouth.
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 7/29/2004, 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey, easy there mike. I'm sorry, I was kinda making a joke. Nobody ever said I was good at that. No need to get bent out of shape though...
paintninaz

PostPosted: 7/29/2004, 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mike wrote:
As for you non-cat people, you just haven't met the right cats. Our cat Puff is a "maine coon", a breed which is very dog-like in a lot of ways. She follows me around just like a puppy. Maybe I'll never be able to get her out on the trails with me, but how could you not love a face like this...

what is it with cats and keyboards? Wink My cat used to do the same thing. Mike, my cat Simon is also very-dog like, except smarter! He at least comes when you call him (unlike some dog who shall remain nameless Rolling Eyes )!

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 7/29/2004, 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

matt gilbert wrote:
Hey, easy there mike. I'm sorry, I was kinda making a joke. Nobody ever said I was good at that. No need to get bent out of shape though...
It's all good. Gotcha back! Wink
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 7/29/2004, 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Mike, my cat Simon is also very-dog like, except smarter! He at least comes when you call him (unlike some dog who shall remain nameless )!
I think Puff can understand every word we say. She comes when we call her, too... usually... she really is a cat, even if she doesn't always act like it. She likes to hang out on top of my desk while I'm working. Maine Coons are like that, they're very social, unlike most cats.

"The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called and cats take a message and get back to you."
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 7/29/2004, 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mike wrote:

"The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called and cats take a message and get back to you."

I need to tell Winston that. "Dog's come when they are called". He doens't even take messages, he will let you know.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 7/29/2004, 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Laughing
Abe

PostPosted: 7/29/2004, 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SUN_HIKER wrote:
Laughing I bet the one who got stung didn't think it was funny Laughing

GB

No he sure didn't. Embarassed But giving the circumstances, we sure did. ROFLMAO

aaahhhhh the great debate; a cat or a dog. Or both! Chin Scratching

Ok Thumbs up for cats, I'm a cat lover. However, my wife is allergic to 'em. So we have a pet chinchilla name Tibbs. I think a scorpion would eat him though.
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 7/29/2004, 8:02 pm    Post subject: cats vs. dogs Reply to topic Reply with quote

I guess that's why they have cat lovers and dog lovers. For me the only good cat is a skinned one (sorry guys, just couldn't resist - but they give me the creeps all that sneaking around you never know where the heck they are)

GB Crazy
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
srlatty

PostPosted: 7/29/2004, 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I got stung about 3 weeks ago. I was putting my daughter to bed and the stupid thing was waiting for me on the floor under the edge of her bed. I felt the sting, looked down and saw it run under her bed. Mine didn't live long enough to get a glass jar!

I was stung on the inside of my foot right around the knuckle of my big toe. It never swelled or turned colors, so I didn't call Poison Control. Figured if I saw any strange signs I would give them a call. It happened around 10pm on Saturday night. The inside half of my foot, all the way to just above my ankle, felt like it was asleep until around noon on Monday. The nurse at work said that sometimes the tingly feeling can last as long as a couple of weeks. Just glad it was me, not my daughter!
azhiker96

PostPosted: 7/29/2004, 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, my numbness has gone away. It took about 30 hours for it to subside. Those who swell up are having an allergic reaction which is the most dangerous according to the lady I spoke with at poison control. Our miniature pinscher killed one a couple of months ago. I chewed her out yesterday for failing to protect me from this one. Shocked
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 7/30/2004, 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://chainreaction.asu.edu/desert/digin/antivenin.htm

I have had two scorpion stings--one with a reaction very like azhiker's and the other with just pain and real big swelling.
DesertRoux

PostPosted: 7/30/2004, 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I once got stung by a scorpion in Fossil Creek, in my lower palm. I was leaning over some rocks to get the fire started and evidently he had other plans. Tagged me a couple times in the hand, a retreated to the pit. It never swelled but i did get the "pins and needles" feeling for the better part of that evening and the following day.

Cats might by good hunters, but they can't carry their own food and a couple beers for master on a little over nighter. I have a 70 lb. Doberman/G. Shepard mix that likes to backpack more than myself.

-Hunter S. Thompson
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 7/30/2004, 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

After reading this, I think I'll keep my exterminator.
I had black widows when I first moved in which freaked me out.
I'm getting a few more crickets this year then I thought I would.
But so far no scorpions. I'm hoping where I live it's not as common.
My neighbor thinks the black widows I had were from the load of rocks delivered.

George, I'm glad it all turned out well for you.

Sheri Hiking
srlatty

PostPosted: 7/30/2004, 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sheri, We moved here in April 2000. I didn't see a scorpion until this Spring. Since then, we have had 8, that I can remember. As my neighbor says, "You may not see them, but they're there"

I have heard that if your development is built on old farmland, you have a better chance of not having scorpions. The years of fertilizer, insecticide, etc, will help to keep them away. Of course, this also means that it is saturated in the ground around your house! Lesser of 2 evils??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: