ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Bark Scorpion Encounter
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azhiker96

PostPosted: 7/29/2004, 2:36 pm    Post subject: Bark Scorpion Encounter Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, I was Arizona baptized yesterday morning. I woke up, pulled on my jeans and walked to the kitchen. There I fixed a bowl of cereal (granola with fresh blueberries) and a large cup of coffee. Then I took these to the living room to watch the news while I ate breakfast.
As I crossed the living room I felt a small stab on my right ankle. It felt like a burr or small weed seed in my jeans so I shook my leg and took another step. Then I felt something brushing my shin so I carefully felt with the side of my hand and pressed the scorpion against my leg. He started tagging my shin like a chicken on a June bug.
It took me a second to set down my full bowl of cereal and cup of coffee. Then I had those jeans off faster than a scalded cat. I located my tormentor and kept him at bay with a shoe while my wife brought an empty glass jar. He climbed on my shoe so I was able to plunk him into the jar and screw on the lid. Now that I was safe, I continued with breakfast and considered my options.
I know that scorpions have a neurotoxin so I monitored myself for a reaction. Breathing and pulse were fine. There was very little redness at the sting sites. In fact, I'd made an off-trail foray in the Superstitions last Sunday evening and I couldn't pick out the sting sites from the residual Arizona pin striping on my legs. My wife took our captive by our favorite insecticide store and confirmed that it was a bark scorpion.
It did hurt though, about like a wasp sting. There was no swelling so I decided to just monitor it and go to work as usual. I developed alternating numbness and stinging on my shin and ankle throughout the day. By afternoon the numbness on my ankle had crept down to include the side of my foot. That's when I decided to call the Poison Control Center to see what they thought.
Their toll free number is 800-362-0101. They asked me a few questions and decided that no further action was needed. Their main concern was whether I would have an allergic reaction. However, that would have showed up within the first 6 hours and I was calling 10 hours after the attack. Other than an allergic reaction, it's mostly small children who may need treatment due to their size. (venom/weight ratio)
I didn't have any muscle twitching or dizziness so there was nothing to worry about.
This is the first scorpion we've found ranging in our house. The bug guy confirmed that I have the right poisons but I have not been diligent on their application. I should be spraying monthly but have only been spraying every 4-5 months. I guess this may serve as motivation to keep on schedule.
Today, 30 hours later I still have a little numbness on my shin and some on the side of my foot but it's much less than yesterday. I plan to encase my little buddy in some clear epoxy to make a paperweight. For any of his friends, I'll be resorting to chemical warfare.
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 7/29/2004, 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glad to hear you tolerated it so well. I guess it just depends on your immune system too. I live backed up to a preserve and we just don't seem to ever get a complete handle on eliminating them from our yard or house. Even had the house scorpion proofed as best as possible but still run across them every now and then. One of my neighbors got stung in his foot and withing an hour it swelled up like an elephant leg. He also said it hurts like hell, like a hot huge needle went into him.

GB
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 7/29/2004, 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very interesting. We see them on most of our backpacks but have never been stung.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/29/2004, 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, glad it turned out pretty good though. I've heard of a lot worse reaction to those. I think I may just need to start spraying around my house.
-TIM-
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 7/29/2004, 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I forgot to mention I always wear something on my feet around the house, just in case.
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 7/29/2004, 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

if you keep cats as pets they will kill the scorpions
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/29/2004, 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think my cat would get killed by a scorpion before she kills one.
Abe

PostPosted: 7/29/2004, 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SUN_HIKER wrote:
I forgot to mention I always wear something on my feet around the house, just in case.

Shocked Opps! I know when I wake up early in the morning I walk around bare foot and I am focused on two things. The first of course, answer the call of nature and the second, my cup of hot coffee. Ran into a few scorpions in my time in the house, as well as centipedes. The funniest thing I've ever seen was I knew someone that got stung in his behind! Eek
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 7/29/2004, 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Laughing I bet the one who got stung didn't think it was funny Laughing

GB
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 7/29/2004, 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

matt gilbert wrote:

Matt, I bet you wish you had had a cat when we did Battleship. I can still see that scorpion chasing after your butt! Mary
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 7/29/2004, 5:10 pm    Post subject: cats and scorpions Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Sorry, I'm not a cat person... dogs anytime but if its a choice between a cat or scorpion, I'll settle for the latter Rolling Eyes

GB
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 7/29/2004, 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm not a cat person either, but I thought I'd throw it out there...
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 7/29/2004, 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cats are very skilled hunters, even domestic house cats. That's probably the reason they're good at catching and killing scorpions. However, I don't believe there's any truth to the idea that they're not allergic to scorpion stings.

As for you non-cat people, you just haven't met the right cats. Our cat Puff is a "maine coon", a breed which is very dog-like in a lot of ways. She follows me around just like a puppy. Maybe I'll never be able to get her out on the trails with me, but how could you not love a face like this...

Just don't make her angry... after all... she is an alien cat!!
Watch out scorpions!!
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 7/29/2004, 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike I used to have a cat that did hike with me through deep woods. It was not a Maine Coon but was just a skinny tall black cat. My sister in law did have a Maine Coon. Big cat. My hiking cat killed hundreds of rats and mice as well as every other thing that got near. That was one cool cat.
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 7/29/2004, 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mike wrote:
As for you non-cat people, you just haven't met the right cats

I'm pretty sure you guys just haven't met the right dog yet.

Besides my dogs bring me birds, and sometimes cats...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: