ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Garden Loop - Supers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desertboots
Applecart Overturner

PostPosted: 1/31/2003, 3:06 pm    Post subject: Garden Loop - Supers Reply to topic Reply with quote

Has anyone done the "Garden Loop" trail from First Water Trailhead in the Supers? I was thinking about going out there on Feb 8, unless this crappy weather keeps up.

When are we going to get a Trail Index??? Huh??? Huh????

-=db=-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 2/1/2003, 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Boots, here is the scoop on the Loop!! Which isnt really a "loop", but an out and back. There are other options for returning via a loop like the faint horse trail that loops around Hackberry Spring for something like 7.4 miles R/T, but I advise having your maps, compass, GPS or what-have-you for that loop. I did that once, and I was thankful I wasnt alone. We didnt have maps and werent really prepared... not fun when you arent sure of where you are going or where you will end up!! We got lucky. Or, there is the Black Mesa trail that will take you into Boulder Basin where you can pick up the Dutchmans trail again back to the First Water T/H. That is about 9.5 miles R/T.

Just doing the Garden Valley "Loop", it is approximately 5.4 miles R/T out and back the same way. From the First Water T/H, walk about 0.4 on the Dutchmans trail to the Second Water trail junction. Head east on the S.W. trail. You will cross First Water creek that is more than likely dry, and continue on an easy, well-defined trail. Garden Valley is fairly easy to recognize because the area is flat and covered w/ mesquite trees and chain fruit chollas. You will know for sure that you are in Garden Valley when you reach the intersection w/ the Black Mesa trail. Just past the B/M trail sign is what appears to be a mound of dirt and rocks overgrown w/ grass and palo verde trees. This is actually prehistoric ruins of a stone house, and where you might be able to find some pottery shards and grinding stones. At one time, the ''mound'' was said to have been estimated at three-stories w/ a stone-paved court in the center. If you are lucky enough to find some pottery shards they will be identified w/ a worn red colored glaze on one side and black sand color on the other. And I have heard there are at least 3 grinding holes, but I have yet to find them myself.

Let me know if you need any other info!! Enjoy, have fun, and be safe.

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
cactuscat

PostPosted: 2/1/2003, 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

And I have heard there are at least 3 grinding holes, but I have yet to find them myself.

The grinding holes are actually on the larger mound on the other side of Second Water trail. If you're standing in front of the trail sign, with Second Water Trail continuing straight in front, and Black Mesa taking off to your right, the mound with the grinding holes is to your left. Just make your way up to it and look for large, flatish rocks, and you will find some grinding holes - I saw the largest one I've ever seen, along with some cute tiny ones. Agree
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 2/1/2003, 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yup, saw them today. Did the Hackberry Springs loop. Are you sure its 7 mile? I thought about 5. Does anyone know for certain where Hackberry Springs is? I found the fence remains on the east side of the canyon where the map says it is, and looked ever so carefully along the base of that rock wall, but have yet to find it.

I've done this route 4 or 5 times, and have yet to take the same route back to the First Water Trail from that canyon, always seem to get off on some other braided trail. Nice little adventure for when you don't want to be gone all day.
Desertboots
Applecart Overturner

PostPosted: 2/1/2003, 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I looked this up in my Guide to the Superstition Wilderness. There seem to be alot of choices out there. I was wanting to do theis with Sierra SIngles, whom I hike with sometimes, but the hike was full. They can only take so many people. I'm glad I can explore it on my own sometime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
snowchickaz

PostPosted: 2/3/2003, 3:56 pm    Post subject: garden trail Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've done it before. It's so pretty out there, and if I can do that trail, you can do it. It's just so amazing. Razz
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 2/3/2003, 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You can head out from the corral from First Water, from the site of First Water Ranch, First Water Creek or from the Arizona 88 near mile post 204.5 and hike to Hackberry Springs, thence over to Garden Valley which you will enter into the NW area of Garden Valley follow the trail to the intersection of the Second Water Trail and the Black Mesa Trail and then exist to the First Water Trailhead. Great Nighthike to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: