ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Are you lightweight?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you consider yourself to be a "lightweight" hiker?
Yes
45%
 45%  [ 14 ]
No
54%
 54%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 31

Abe

PostPosted: 7/13/2004, 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nope. I ain't no lightweight hiker. Plain and simple.

For day hikes, my day pack is set so that way should I have to spend a night for some reason, I want to be cozy. And I do bring my cell-phone dang it.

I can get my backpack, depending on season, between 40 to 50 pounds. And on top of bringing my cell-phone, I bring my little, itty, bitty AM/FM radio. What the heck, I gotta keep up with NPR in the morning and conservative talk show hosts at night.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 7/13/2004, 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Felecia has the Siren, the same as the Diva but without the side bellows pockets, which are a few liters each. the siren is a 40 liter pack, and has a comfortable ride. May be willing to part with it...

what i do
Kim

PostPosted: 7/13/2004, 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

not at all. i even bought a bigger backpack so i don't have to spend so much time cramming things in there (and incase i do a really big trip). i prefer bringing lots of H20, food, 1st aid stuff, clothes... I feel better that way. I usually don't mind the exercise, anyway. after whitney training, though, i have been considering the weight prob on the knees. i think i'll go lighter and lighter with time, but will never be lightweight.
cakewalk

PostPosted: 7/13/2004, 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Your supposed to carry stuff with you???? Confused
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 7/14/2004, 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd like to be a light weight but as of now I am not.... Since this is my first "set of equipment" for back packing I know I have a lot of weight to shave off as I replace things and slowly as I can justify it I will. I have to go with what I can afford and some times the lightest weight stuff is out of my price range.... My sleeping bag has to be warm so as to be comfortable so it weighs a little more than the lightest weight one could....

I want to shine!
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 7/14/2004, 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shihiyea wrote:
I would have loved the Go-Lite pack, I bought it, loaded it and put it on, but even as an extra small, it was still too big for my frame. It was obviously designed for a man too.

I've looked at gear reports and found a lady who is 4'10 (Chuckle I'm much taller) and she raves about her Gregory Deva 60 women's backpack. It would cut 2.5 pounds from my pack. Does anyone have this pack?

Mary,

The Gregory Deva 60 is the one that I bought in May. I LOVE it!!! Fits us smaller people perfectly. My only complaint is it doesn't have as much room as I'd like to pack things but works well for a two or three day. Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 7/14/2004, 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with Granite Gear Nimbus packs ?
Hnak

PostPosted: 7/14/2004, 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trishness wrote:
Shihiyea wrote:
I would have loved the Go-Lite pack, I bought it, loaded it and put it on, but even as an extra small, it was still too big for my frame. It was obviously designed for a man too.

I've looked at gear reports and found a lady who is 4'10 (Chuckle I'm much taller) and she raves about her Gregory Deva 60 women's backpack. It would cut 2.5 pounds from my pack. Does anyone have this pack?

Mary,

The Gregory Deva 60 is the one that I bought in May. I LOVE it!!! Fits us smaller people perfectly. My only complaint is it doesn't have as much room as I'd like to pack things but works well for a two or three day. Mr. Green

I don't know anything about the Deva 60, but I do know that Gregory makes a good pack. Mine is the Rainier model (I think). It isn't really lightweight (I think that the lady who is 4'10" might fit inside my pack...), but it is very comfortable and has held up well for a number of years of backpacking. If it ever wears out, I'll probably get another Gregory....
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 7/14/2004, 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Okay, between the pm's I'm getting and your comment. I will HAVE to test one out. Thanks Trish for offering to let me use yours! Mary
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 7/14/2004, 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shihiyea wrote:
Okay, between the pm's I'm getting and your comment. I will HAVE to test one out. Thanks Trish for offering to let me use yours! Mary

Anytime Mary! But I think we need to test Hnak's theory that a 4'10" person can fit into his backpack Ok

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
paintninaz

PostPosted: 7/14/2004, 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trishness wrote:
But I think we need to test Hnak's theory that a 4'10" person can fit into his backpack Ok

I'm SUUUUUURE if I scrunch I can be waaaay under 4'10"...come on Hank, what do ya say????? Wink

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 7/15/2004, 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

12gallonsX8pounds per gallon+about30pounds of food and junk=126pounds I think Hank can carry Rolling Eyes
Hnak

PostPosted: 7/15/2004, 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Uhhhh, wellll...... Sure, if you can get into my pack, I'll carry you. Hiking Just don't know how far... Wacko
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 7/15/2004, 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Is the ice cream maker considered lightweight??? I didn't read how much it weighs empty.

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 7/15/2004, 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Since my first backpack weighed around 50 lbs and now I'm down to 35, I said yes, but I'm far from extreme. There are certain things I would just never consider going without.

Proportionately my daypack weighs a lot more. Basically my backpacking equipment is the same as my dayhiking equipment I just add more food, water, a tent and a sleeping bag. I think my day bag wieghs around 15-20 lbs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: