ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Are you lightweight?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you consider yourself to be a "lightweight" hiker?
Yes
45%
 45%  [ 14 ]
No
54%
 54%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 31

fairweather8588

PostPosted: 7/12/2004, 8:19 pm    Post subject: Are you lightweight? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Do you consider yourself to be a "lightweight" hiker?

Kerouac
Andy

PostPosted: 7/12/2004, 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I had to vote no! Even my day pack weighs a ton! Confused

http://community.webshots.com/album/136917818udlQWZ
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/12/2004, 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll cut weight where I can but I'll still carry in the six pack so it's kind of pointless for me to be lightweight.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 7/12/2004, 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Depends on whether you mean dayhiking or backpacking. Yes for dayhking, working on it for backpacking.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 7/13/2004, 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

LMAO 'Tis too early for questions like this. I voted no because I was thinking you were asking if I was experienced. My pack is very lightweight Smile
Hnak

PostPosted: 7/13/2004, 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm no lightweight, but my pack is slowly getting lighter... Very Happy
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 7/13/2004, 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nope, my daypack, empty, weights 3.5 pounds. My backpack, empty, weights 6.5 pounds. I have lightweight gear and even have tried the Go-lite packs, but none of them fit me. I'll get a heavier packs that fits like a glove because it makes carrying my load all the easier. My average pack weight is about 32-38 pounds with 6-8 liters of water and other then raingear (windbreaker, and added warmth if needed), I use nearly everything in my pack, at least once during a trip, and many have multiple purpose uses. I would still love to get my weight down, without compromising my comfort. Mary
Daryl

PostPosted: 7/13/2004, 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

"Do you consider yourself to be a "lightweight" hiker?"

I'd like to lose about 10 pounds, so I'd have to say no. Plus at 215 lbs I'm middle weight if not heavy weight.
J Me

PostPosted: 7/13/2004, 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, from reading all the posts on this and other threads, I'm not a lightweight, and I prefer to hike/backpack w/ others the same.

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 7/13/2004, 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hell, no! I weigh 220 lbs all by my lonesome - that alone disqualifies me as a lightweight anything.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
AZBrad123

PostPosted: 7/13/2004, 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

In my experience, i think Tim wins as lightweight. Anyone who does not bring a sleeping bag, in January, up by payson, because it does not fit in his bag, wins in my book!!
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 7/13/2004, 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We like our 2" Thermarest Luxury edition pads, nice warm feathery WestenMountaineering bags and a good tent to retire to after an adventure filled day. It is so nice to have a good stove to cook a hot meal and brew up a good cup of tea. A water filter for loads of pure water is a must. We take light down jackets for the night and morning chills not to mention they make the best pillows.

I always strap my daypack onboard my backpack so I can do the hikes I want to from a great base camp. For first aid I just take a bit of tape and a few sterile pads, some duct tape and some tree tea oil. I like sandals for in camp or negotiating water crossings. The camera gear and some writing stuff are a must. A change of clothes and some washing up supplies make things comfortable. Lots of food (including a chocolate desert like mouse or smores for each night and hot chocolate) is a must as we go to smooth it, not to rough it. If the area has good streams I may even take my ultra-light spinning setup.

I take a sil-nylon tarp to make a cheery shelter for lounging and cooking in the rain. We have used it in Canada and the Arizona monsoon season.

If I can get my pack under 50 lbs for a 3 to 4 day backpack I am happy. I have tried to find a way to cut it down more but it just isn't going to happen.

I want a sort of ultimate remote outdoor resort. Linda's pack is about 35 lbs. No matter I have the Godiva Raspberry chocolate and she has her own Cabana boy so she is supremely happy.

I do try to choose light weight items with a good track record.

On a side note since I started using Mozilla Firefox I put most of my posts through Word and it wanted me to change Godiva to Go Diva. Mr. Green I'm not kidding, I just about died laughing.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 7/13/2004, 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shihiyea wrote:
Nope, my daypack, empty, weights 3.5 pounds. My backpack, empty, weights 6.5 pounds. I have lightweight gear and even have tried the Go-lite packs, but none of them fit me. I'll get a heavier packs that fits like a glove because it makes carrying my load all the easier. My average pack weight is about 32-38 pounds with 6-8 liters of water and other then raingear (windbreaker, and added warmth if needed), I use nearly everything in my pack, at least once during a trip, and many have multiple purpose uses. I would still love to get my weight down, without compromising my comfort. Mary

Well said ...I end up with the same issue. I think I end up feeling better with my heavier pack packed dligently to be as light as I can go vs shaving the lbs off the pack with an ultralight pack and have an achy back all through the hike. Personal opinion: Ultralight packs dont seem to carry large amounts of water very well. They always end up off to one side and unevenly loading the pack. May be I just dont know how to pack ....
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 7/13/2004, 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

too bad GoLite doesnt make packs for women. Maybe they will in the future. I found that most if not all the (ultralight) companys dont make womens packs, and that is unfortunate. Sad
Granite Gear, however does make them and they are very well crafted.
for a pad, try the Big Agnes insulated air core, a whopping 2.5 inches thick and 1lb 8oz.
As Hooli stated, it really depends on the weight of the hiker, as well.

what i do
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 7/13/2004, 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would have loved the Go-Lite pack, I bought it, loaded it and put it on, but even as an extra small, it was still too big for my frame. It was obviously designed for a man too.

I've looked at gear reports and found a lady who is 4'10 (Chuckle I'm much taller) and she raves about her Gregory Deva 60 women's backpack. It would cut 2.5 pounds from my pack. Does anyone have this pack?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: