ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Favorite Store bought dehydrated meals
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
k9hiker

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 10:27 pm    Post subject: Favorite Store bought dehydrated meals Reply to topic Reply with quote

What is you favorite brand of dehydreated meals? And what are you favorite flavor(s)?

I've heard alot of possitive feedback about Alpineaire (sp?) brand.
plummer150

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 10:33 pm    Post subject: food! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lasagna is one of my favorites. I just had it a couple days ago for a hike I went on. That was pretty good givin the circomstances.....ha. Na, for real, it's not that bad though. It's all about the power gel though!
dennisbench

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

well, I have only had mountain house. But I would give them high marks. The beef stroganoff is excellent, although some of the mexican ones aren't as good, even though I do like mexican food. The meaty ones I have found are all good, I will probably try some other brands in the future to see what I'm missing (or not.)
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
desertgirl

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

For those of you that need their "Veggies" on trail -- dehydrated veggis work great. You can dehydrate them or buy the "Just Tomatoes'' brand. They have stuff other than tomatoes that reconstitue quite well.

Here's a link: http://www.justtomatoes.com/
http://www.justtomatoes.com/html/product/veggiesORG1.html
overrocked

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 10:42 am    Post subject: dehydrated Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just Tomatoees brand of carrots, peas, bell peppers are also sold at Trader Joes.(6.00/pkg, I think) I'm not impressed with bell peppers though. I really like the dry whole milk with Instant Breakfast. I've tried spaghetti but don't remember which brand, but it was eatable. I also like Luna Bars. My absolute most eatable meal, no matter how tired or ornery Evil or Very Mad I may be is instant mashed potatoes with mushroom gravy and dried beef. Idea
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've tried them all - and most agree with me about the same - which is to say that they don't agree much.

I will say this about freez-dried foods (most of them are not truly de-hydrated - just freeze dried - a much better process if you want to be able to cook it easily) - stay simple. You will find that the more complex and exotic the ingredients sound - the worse it will taste. Stick with simple, common recepies - pasta dishes are always a good pick.

For the best results - pick up a canister of the sorted spices (they have different brands and sizes, anywhere from 4 to 8 spices of varied varieties). Myself, I just got the cannister and filled it with my own spices that I preffer. A littl shot of a cyane pepper will liven any dish up.

Going that route - spicing your food yourself - most of the freeze-dried offerings can be made palatable in any case.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
desertgirl

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daddee wrote:
For the best results - pick up a canister of the sorted spices (they have different brands and sizes, anywhere from 4 to 8 spices of varied varieties). Myself, I just got the cannister and filled it with my own spices that I preffer. A littl shot of a cyane pepper will liven any dish up.

Going that route - spicing your food yourself - most of the freeze-dried offerings can be made palatable in any case.

Totally agree with this approach. I carry my bag of spices and almost any trail food tastes so much better.... Diablo
ck1

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

dennisbench wrote:
mountain house...beef stroganoff

uummmm....I concur! their stroganoff is EXCELLENT!

"The Journey is the Destination"
desertgirl

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The much despised Ramen Noodles work well too. Yeah, Yeah the have 50% fat but that is only the cheap kinds (14 to $1). I have found some low fat ones at Whole foods that actually taste a whole lot better & cost a whole bunch more Confused

But the again after a long (hard) day's hike --- whats wrong with some extra fat ? Laughing
k9hiker

PostPosted: 1/31/2003, 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have only tried the Mt house spaghetti. That was actually good and for freeze dried, good is rare. Thanks for the tip about the stroganoff. I'll have to try it.
Lizard

PostPosted: 2/3/2003, 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I suggest sorting by specific entrees rather than brand name. Every manufacturer makes a few awful meals, and all of them have some fairly decent ones as well. Some ones that I like:

Alpineaire Sierra Chicken
Alpineaire Black Bart Chili w/ beans
Mountainhouse Chicken Teriyaki w/ Rice
Backpacker's Pantry Black Bean Tamale Pie

And of course, none of these will beat plain ole Lipton Noodles and Sauce or practically any other dish you can buy from a supermarket.
"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.”- Sir Ernest Shackleton, newspaper classified.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 2/4/2003, 10:59 am    Post subject: food and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

I usually dehydrate most of my own food. Initial cost for the equipment was high, but I found the dehydrator and trays at 75% off at Fry's last year. You'd be amazed at what you can do with normal off the shelf food and a dehydrator. You have to experiment some and if you make something awful, there's no one to blame but yourself.

GTG
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 2/4/2003, 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

and if you make something awful, there's no one to blame but yourself

Can somebody talk to Hooli's parents about that? Twisted Evil

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
evenstar

PostPosted: 2/4/2003, 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daddee wrote:
Quote:

and if you make something wonderful, there's no one to thank but yourself

Can somebody talk to Hooli's parents about that? Very Happy

When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 2/4/2003, 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think you forgot the comentary Hooli.

And I know better than to think you were offended.

- Abraham Lincoln
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: