ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Sept Group hike
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

Leave it or make it easier?
Horseshoe Mesa
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
Something easier for everyone
72%
 72%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 18

Daryl

PostPosted: 7/12/2004, 8:21 am    Post subject: Sept Group hike Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was thinking of doing something a little different for September. Currently Horseshoe Mesa is planned, but I’m thinking it might be a little too hot for that to be our group hike. Plus, that is a pretty difficult hike even in good weather.
I’d like to propose a shorter/easier hike so people can bring their friends, kids, spouses… and first timers will be comfortable. I’d like to make Sept more of an all skill level social event, or more of lazy laid back hike. Of course I would also still like to see a camp out afterward and I’ll even try to show up for it.

PostPosted: 7/12/2004, 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Sept Group hike Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daryl wrote:
Of course I would also still like to see a camp out afterward and I’ll even try to show up for it.

Suuuuuure you will! Rolling Eyes

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 7/12/2004, 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This sounds like a good plan for September. But if you decide to do Horseshoe Mesa instead, why not plan a family & friends hike another time. I'll try to show up too! Laughing

Sherileeaz Hiking
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 7/12/2004, 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sherileeaz wrote:
This sounds like a good plan for September. But if you decide to do Horseshoe Mesa instead, why not plan a family & friends hike another time. I'll try to show up too! Laughing

Sherileeaz Hiking

Suuuuuure you will! Chuckle

Shades
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/12/2004, 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would love to hike the Grandview trail and see Horseshoe Mesa but I'm always game for an easy overnighter with some beer. Any ideas of where to go for the alternative plan?
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 7/12/2004, 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
I would love to hike the Grandview trail and see Horseshoe Mesa but I'm always game for an easy overnighter with some beer. Any ideas of where to go for the alternative plan?

Okay. But you'll have to bring a case this time. I'll share the duty dude. The indulgers will have to help carry out the empties though. Rob can carry the third case. Right Rob?

Beer
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/12/2004, 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Rob can carry the third case

I'm going to answer yes for him. He has volunteered me for more than enough things. Especially when my Grandparents moved twice in three months and he was magically out of town! BOTH TIMES
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 7/12/2004, 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tell him I'll be bringin my mini boom-box along.

Shades
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/12/2004, 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

He'll be there!
Daryl

PostPosted: 7/20/2004, 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Okay, I know a place we can do the Sept hike of the month. We can swim, wade, hike, or bike in this area. It will be friendly to people of all ages and skill levels. There is good camping in the area and it may even be hammock friendly! The hike I have planned is a pretty easy hike with side trips and options that can make it an all day hike if you chose. Also, since the first weekend of Sept is Labor Day I’m going to move it to the second weekend, unless there are some strong objections.

I’ll be in that area this weekend and I’ll scope it out. More info to come…

Thoughts, objections, guesses?
J Me

PostPosted: 7/20/2004, 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So far, sounds good.... I'm interested.

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 7/20/2004, 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm interested. Thanks.

Sheri
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 7/21/2004, 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Horseshoe mesa is an easy overnighter--did you go there on the last trip?
Daryl

PostPosted: 7/21/2004, 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I did not go there on the last trip but i have been there several times on day trips.

PostPosted: 7/26/2004, 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anyone ever hear of Wet Beaver Creek? That’s where our Sept hike will be. There are several options for this hike.
You can hike the Bell Trail, the Apache Maid Trail, or you can bushwack up Wet Beaver Creek if both of those options are too easy for you (I’ve done this twice and it’s a blast). Or… you can just trek to one of the many swimming holes along the creek and just spend the day swimming and relaxing. I’m planning on a leisurely photo hike on the Bell Trail with my wife, but I may opt for the bushwack.

With the help of a friendly forest ranger I found a nice camp area that should work for our group that should be easy for everyone to find. There should be plenty of room for 10+ tents. The site is also on a pretty nice little cliff, so climbers, bring your gear. We can do a little rappelling and climbing right at the campsite (class 4 and maybe class 5). The campsite is just a 5 minute drive from creek access and swimming holes.
The only downside to this site is shade. There are only a few trees on the site and they don’t provide much shade. I have an EZ up I can bring, if we can get one or two more we should be fine. There is no place to tie hammocks up either, but I’m sure they could be rigged between cars…
There is a creekside FS campground near by (Beaver Creek Campground) that is also an option, but they only have 13 sites, they do not take reservations and they fill up quickly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: