ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Bill Williams Mountain Trail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
desertgirl

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 9:54 am    Post subject: Bill Williams Mountain Trail Reply to topic Reply with quote

Directions: The Bill Williams Mountain Trail starts at the Williams Ranger District Office, 1 mile west of Williams. (Exit 161 on I-40 and follow signs).

Trail Description: Bill Williams is a wonderful hike – great views from the summit as well as the lush forests along the hike – Fir; towering aspens and plenty of underbrush along the trails, giving opportunity for wildflowers along the trailside on the upper reaches of the hike. There is no water available along this trail, so bring plenty.

This trail was originally built in 1902 and operated as a toll trail for horses but eventually fell out of service. Forest service used it as a means to reach the fire lookout on top of the Bill Williams Mountain. There is a road to the top.

The trail accesses the summit of Bill Williams Mountain via the north face making it a lush trail. The trail quickly climbs in the 1st mile with the route leveling off for most of the 2nd mile. At 0.15 miles you will meet a side trail that takes off for Clover Springs to the left meeting back up to the main trail at 0.9 miles. In the lower elevations, you are hiking through mostly lower profile forest of alligator juniper, pinyon pine and gambel oak with a few occasional ponderosa pines. The trail runs through a shady ravine where you encounter stands of Douglas firs and incredibly tall stands of aspens and undergrowth thickening with ferns, Oregon grape and Arizona wild rose.

Past the 2-mile point the trail begins to climb up steadily towards to summit and reach the gravel road (FR111) that accesses the fire lookout tower and the radio towers on the summit. The intersection of the trail and FR111 has a nice area with log benches. Make sure to check out the incredible views from the rock outcrop to the right (Behind the benches). You can continue to hike up along FR111 to the summit and checkout the 360-degree views of the area peaks from the fire look out tower.

You return options are many: 1) Hike back the way you came up 2) Take the Benham Trail that drops down along the East flank (You need to have a shuttle pick up at the Benham trailhead on the eastern side of the mountain) 3) Hike down the raod and take the Bixler Saddle Trail #72 back down the west face of the mountain (You need to have a shuttle pick up (High Clearance Vehicle recommended) at the Bixler Saddle trailhead on the western side of the mountain) 4) Have a shuttle pick up at the top or drop you off at the top for ½ the hike

Dogs: Yes - On leash
Water: None - Carry your Own
plummer150

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 1:22 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like a pretty cool hike to me. I might have to check that out. However, I'm not too fond of the Flagstaff area. I don't really like the city itself that much and there doesn't seem like there is much to do up there. The only thing Flagstaff has goin for it is Mt. Humphreys and Snowbowl- which isn't really that great. Where is exit 161, west or east on 40 from the jct of I-17? Catcha later.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bill Williams is the only major mountain in the Flagstaff area that I have not done. I have alwayes wanted to do it, but never had the chance.

I grew up in Flagstaff and there isnt anything to do there, thats partly why i am in Phoenix now. I cannot say I'm fond of it either. The city is small and its borring. Outside of flagstaff is a great hiking area tho. THere is more than Humphrys. Elden has a massive trail system, then there is Mount O'Leary, Kendrick Peak, Sitgreaves Mountain is a difficult off trail mountian, there are other hiking areas around the area as well. I have done Arizona's highest mountains as well in the area, Agassiz Peak (12356) which is illigal to climb, Fremont Peak (11969), and Doyle Peak (11460). If you use your imagination you can do quite a bit, or if you have a good book or knowledge of the area its a great hiking area. Just the city itself suck.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
plummer150

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 8:58 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the feedback there. Yeah, I'm sure the area can't be that bad like I'm making it out to be. I just haven't given it a change really cause theres so much to do in Phoenix. I'll be sure to do that one hike thats 12000+ and illegal. I have a thing with being a rebel for some reason. Maybe it's cause I'm still in college. Ha. Twisted Evil
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you decide to do Agassiz DO NOT do it on a weekend. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday is your best days of doing it. If its a bit of a cooler day that is also a good time. You just want to avoid any forest rangers possible. If you get cought its a $500 fine. I know people do it periodicly and I have never heard of people getting caught. It's a wonderful mountain to be on, its solitude, and the views are great. Although my favorite one is Fremont Peak. The climb on that one is really fun. If you want to know more on these mountains and know whats the best way of doing them you can go to http://www.summitpost.com
You have to become a member to do anything. After becoming a member click on mountains than click on Arizona. I have added these mountains to the site.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: