ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
A friend of mine found a rare orchid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Belinda

PostPosted: 6/27/2004, 4:45 pm    Post subject: A friend of mine found a rare orchid Reply to topic Reply with quote

A friend of mine recently found a rare orchid in the mountains...this particular orchid has not been spotted in the US since the 1930's! (how he knew this is another story). OK, so it wasn't in AZ. I can't tell you where it was exactly, because posting this on the internet would cause, well literally thousands of people to be trek out to this spot to check out the orchid! (ya, right) (smiles)

Has anybody ever planned a backpacking trip to see a flower? I'm thinking now I gotta see this.

Second question/comment: I was hiking around Rainier National Park last summer and I saw a woman (w/ her kids) lifting a beautiful native Tiger Lily plant out of the woods --basically, it looked like she had ripped it out of the ground and was carrying it out in a plastic bag. The sad thing was that it was obvious this plant was not going to survive the trip home (especially with those dam kids tormenting it). The other sad thing, I only saw 3-4 of these all day and here she was, attempting to take one home. They are very beautiful lilies, not especially because of their color (orange and black, they look any of the ones growing in people's yards in Portland) but because they are only about the size of your thumb. I wanted to scream but I said nothing. The damage, afterall, was done. What would you have said? The chances of a ranger catching her were slim...
ck1

PostPosted: 6/27/2004, 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: A friend of mine found a rare orchid Reply to topic Reply with quote

Belinda wrote:
I wanted to scream but I said nothing. The damage, afterall, was done. What would you have said? The chances of a ranger catching her were slim...

I'd have shot her and claimed that the kids were attacking me.

Laughing Laughing no but seriously...

It's a frustrating situation to be in, most of us have found ourselves at least once in a position were we observe someone doing something "wrong" and we're challenged with the appropriate action to take...be it someone shooting at cactus, leaving food scraps on the the trail, or hiking with a dog off leash...it's hard to find the appropriate response...

Belinda wrote:
Has anybody ever planned a backpacking trip to see a flower?

No...but I'd be willing to bet that Todd has planned a hike or two to see a plant... Wink

"The Journey is the Destination"
Andy

PostPosted: 6/27/2004, 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: A friend of mine found a rare orchid Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:

Belinda wrote:
Has anybody ever planned a backpacking trip to see a flower?

No...but I'd be willing to bet that Todd has planned a hike or two to see a plant... Wink

Well it's ok as long as he does'nt get caught watering it! Rolling Eyes

http://community.webshots.com/album/136917818udlQWZ
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 6/27/2004, 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I rented the most disgusting house once, because of a TREE. Mary
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Night hike to see a night blooming cereus, and day hike to look at the flowers on desert willows among others.
pfredricks

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

CK- remember, you always have to say

"They're coming right for us"
"I am just going outside and may be some time."- Explorer Oates' last words before crawling out of his tent in -40 C temps. Sacrificed himself so as not to hold back his 1912 South Pole expedition teamates.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: A friend of mine found a rare orchid Reply to topic Reply with quote

Belinda wrote:

Has anybody ever planned a backpacking trip to see a flower? ..

Yes, the naturalist in me, the spiritualist in me and the wanderer and wonderer all go for the view of a flower as well as the shapes of stones and the infinite skies at night. Why else would you go. Wink
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shihiyea wrote:
I rented the most disgusting house once, because of a TREE. Mary

We are truly kindred sisters....oh those trees...I can top it....I moved back to an apt I lived in previously ( and am currently there) because of the
tree(s). and grass Laughing
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Belinda, if a picture of that orchid is available to be shared, I would love to see it.
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sande, of course we are kindred spirits. Here is a pic of an orchid that will knock your socks off! I found this once doing some research and left me feeling, like I do after hearing the cry of a loon. http://www.uhaul.com/supergraphics/orchid/natural-wonder.html

Mary
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: A friend of mine found a rare orchid Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:
[No...but I'd be willing to bet that Todd has planned a hike or two to see a plant... Wink

Now, now Colin, I've never, well I wouldn't call it a hike. We'll discuss this topic further on the trail. Goat

One of the coolest nature shows I've ever seen was about this rich fella that his only goal in life was to discover a new orchid to name after his grandmother. Romantic isn't it? He traveled all through the rain forest, got kidnapped, ransomed, released, diseased etc. The hiking and climbing he did to observe orchids was amazing. Imagine hiking up a canopied canyon and seeing a semi-rare species of flower hanging from a tree off of a 300 ' ledge, crossing the canyon and rappeling down, hanging upside down just to see it up close. So now my dealings with snakes seem mild compared to that.

Okay, here it is -
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/orchid/about.html

GTG
Belinda

PostPosted: 7/2/2004, 5:07 pm    Post subject: Take a wild guess what it is Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://community.webshots.com/user/belindat444

I think it's working now, if not I'll upload it to the gallery
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 7/2/2004, 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Webshots won't let me see it, Belinda. I can give you access to our gallery here if you'd like to upload it here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: