ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Chili Recepies and other stuff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 6/25/2004, 2:04 pm    Post subject: Chili Recepies and other stuff Reply to topic Reply with quote

At Randy's request, here is the recepie for the chili I had at the shin-dig:

3 lbs. lean beef, preferably stewing meat
Olive oil or if you're feeling unhealthy beef suet or bacon grease
3-6 Ancho chile pods, boiled 5 minutes, cooled, stemmed, seeded and chopped (I like to pull the flesh away from the skin - the skin is non-digestable), cooking water reserved. (or 3-6 Tbsp. chili powder or ground chile if you want to make it easier)
1 tsp. oregano
1 Tbsp. crushed cumin seed
1 Tbsp. salt
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp. Tabasco sauce
2-4 minced garlic cloves, to taste
2-4 extra Ancho chile pods
2 Tbsp. Masa Harina or cornmeal

Sear meat in fat/oil in 2 or 3 batches. (Use oil for low cholesterol, less grease.) Place meat in large pot with pepper pods and as much of the pepper liquid as you think you'll need to keep the meat from burning. About two inches of water rising above the meat is usually right. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes. Add rest of ingredients except Masa and extra Anchos. Simmer 45 minutes more, covered. Stir only occasionally. Skim off grease. Taste and adjust seasonings. If not hot enough to suit you, add extra Ancho pods which have been stemmed and seeded, but not chopped. Add Masa Harina to thicken liquid. Simmer for another 30 minutes until the meat is tender.

That is the base of my chili, I add things to it occasionally to see how it works. For the shin-dig I added 6 slices of bacon that I chopped up and fried (then added the grease and the bits), plus probably 2 maybe 3 tablespoons of cilantro, and 2 jalapenos (seeded and chopped).

Variation: never serve the chili on day of its conception, but keep it in the refrigerator overnight and skim off the grease the next day, then add Masa Harina upon heating the chili if it is too thin.

So - there you have it the recepie comes out of a book called "A Bowl of Red" by Frank X. Tolbert.

I've tried a bunch of recepies and I've found that I prefer chili that has no tomato or onion in it to speak of.

Anyone else care to post their recipies for whatever they brought?

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 6/25/2004, 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm waiting for Diane's White Chili and Everything-but-the-Kitchen-Sink recipe (note spelling!!) and for Sheri's awesome potato salad recipe.... Would either of you care to share?? Here is where I would post a little smilie down on his knees in a praying position, but apparently we haven't gotten around to creating a "begging" one... yet, hint, hint!!

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 6/25/2004, 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I really have no recipe....

I start by sautéing a large onion and garlic in the grease from the chicken stock, then I add a pot of chicken stock ( I used home made but you can use canned). Then I add white northern beans, black eyed peas, lima beans or edemame (soy beans) and corn. To that I add two large cans or green chilies (I use mild but to add more heat use hot), cumin-start with one tsp and add to taste and my personal favorite is the chipotle. This stuff is hot so start low and add to taste. Of course there is the salt and the pepper. Oh! I forgot the chicken! Yeah, ya have to add the shredded chicken in there some time too!

Thats about it unless you find something else in your fridge or under your sink that looks like it should go in there!

I want to shine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: