ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
What type of Sleeping Bag do you use?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 6/2/2004, 6:14 am    Post subject: What type of Sleeping Bag do you use? Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am in the market for a 3 season 20-35 degree sleeping bag. Just wondering what everybody is using and how they like it.
-TIM-
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 6/2/2004, 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tim, I have recently purchased from Montbell the Super Stretch Down Hugger#3 and love it. Impressive stuff size 5.7" x 8.8" (now this is for the short folks like me) but here is the link for the long version:
https://www2.montbell.com/america/asp/products/Spg_shosai.asp?cat=1101&hinban=2321664

I have taken it out on a couple of camping trips and love it.

GB
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 6/2/2004, 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I use a Feathered Friend's Swallow that I love.
Western Mountaineering also make "bomber" bags.
Both of these are on the expensive side, but their temp ratings are conservative and they are built to last.
I have found REI's temp ratings, for instance, to be faulty.

To save $$$$$ look on www.backpacking.net or www.mec.caand look in the classifieds for good used/new high end gear.

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 6/2/2004, 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Budget???

For $160 or less, I'd look at a polarguard 3D bag. Last years models may be found online at Bent Gate Mountaineering, Northern Mountain, or Sierra Trading Post. Mountain Hardwear, North Face and Marmot would be where I'd look, brand wise.

If you want a real world class bag, and are willing to spend a tad more, I'd look at down from Western Mountaineering. I also know that Feathered Frineds has a good reputation. Western offers most of their bags with a Goretex (Dryloft) shell, in case you are going where its wet. That would give you a bag for all conditions that would be ultralight, stuff very small and last years. More bucks tho, but cost per year is probably less than the cheaper bags. Try calling Western to see if they have any "seconds". Sometimes they do, and they are usually color goofs, not structural. -R
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 6/2/2004, 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

CatValet, now that Goretex makes a lot of sense. Since my sleeping bag compresses so small I'm able to but it into a gallon size zip lock bag just to be sure not to get it wet. That is of course is a;ways a concern with down. Good thing I did that too, since on my last backpack trip one of my bladders leaked a bit.

GB
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
Lizard

PostPosted: 6/2/2004, 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I use a Western Mountaineering Ultralight for most hikes. It is an excellent bag, but very pricey.

I also own a Campmor 550 Goose Down bag that I use for some hikes when I expect my gear to take some abuse. If you are looking for a decent, lightweight down bag for SUPER cheap (like less than most synthetics), this one is a good choice.

For many years I carried a North Face Cat's Meow bag. This was a good bag but is heavier than I would carry these days. I had an old model that used Polarguard HV; the newer models should use a later incarnation of polarguard and be significantly lighter.
"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.”- Sir Ernest Shackleton, newspaper classified.
dennisbench

PostPosted: 6/2/2004, 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I currently have a Mountain Hardwear Tioga 5 degrees. But I also sleep cold that works for me all year. I love the Mountain Hardwear brand, they are great quality. It is down fill and weighs very little. Randy's right about Western Mountaineering, I don't own one but have only heard great things about those bags.
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
pfredricks

PostPosted: 6/2/2004, 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tim-
The Air Force BX sells North Face bags that work pretty well that fit in your temp range and are el cheapo. There is a bag that is rated the exact same as the Cat's Meow, but it doesnt have the shiny shell ripstop. I cant for the life of me remember the name -maybe Thunderstorm or something like that- but check the ratings and stuff. It is a good mummy bag. I bought mine for like $25 bucks with an instant discount, but I think for anything less than 69 or so it is a steal. It has the same polarguard 3D, YKK zippers-which I can't stress enough the importance of, a draft tube, drawstring face closure, etc and everything you would need.

It is certainly better than your last sleeping bag.

I dont think it quite meets its listed ratings--at least comfortably-it is NOT the best bag on the market by any stretch -but it is great for the money- and more than sufficient for most outings in Arizona.
"I am just going outside and may be some time."- Explorer Oates' last words before crawling out of his tent in -40 C temps. Sacrificed himself so as not to hold back his 1912 South Pole expedition teamates.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 6/2/2004, 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Western Mountaineering Ultralight

Very versital and down last for decades and will hold it's loft.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 6/2/2004, 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well I would like to stay around $150 +/- 50. I have been leaning towards the Kelty Light Year 25. I would like something that has a bit more space, and prefferably a ventilation option. Also i want somthing that compresses of stuffs pretty small like a 6x12''. I also sleep pretty warm so I don't mind being a bit cold.
Pete I'll take a look at the BX like you said.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 6/2/2004, 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tim I have a bag you want. Its a North Face Windstorm, 35 degree Polarguard 3D. Much better than the bag I sold you earlier, this one has a hood. Stuffs about the size of a gallon jug. (like new!) Retails for around $135, make me an offer. Otherwise look at the Sierra Designs Wild Bill, or for a little more money (well worth in the long run) see the Feathered Friends Merlin, or the Western Mountaineering Highlite. Mountainsmith Wisp or Marmot Hydrogen are good too. I studied all these brands and bought the Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32. Im happy with it so far, 800 fill down and weighs 1lb. 5oz.
Also that Montbell down hugger looks real nice. Good choice, Gab.

what i do
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 6/2/2004, 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I paid 185 for my F.F. Swallow (new) from somone on backpacking.net about 3 months ago - the retail is/was $336. (Epic fabric & upgrade to 800 fill)
http://www.featheredfriends.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productId=4&CatId=1&ProductName=Swallow

I would concur that the M.H. bags are "bomber" .
I had a Tioga for 5 years - warm as He _ _ and wore like iron.

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Kim

PostPosted: 6/2/2004, 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

i have the zero degree kilamanjara (i might have really messed up the name)-i'm just always cold and i didn't want to risk getting down wet. the bag is huge, though, due to being synthetic and a zero degree. it can be hot at times, but i just leave it unzipped.

my husband just got the cat's meow on REI for $100 or so. 20 degrees. likes it.

wow, GB- you can fit your bag in a ziplock?! that's the way to do it!!! down, but water proof. i'd go that route, if u can find something that small.
k9hiker

PostPosted: 6/13/2004, 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I use a 20 degree F Slumberjack mummy style bag when it's cold enough. I've had it for several years and it's been a great bag. It was reasonably priced and it weighs under 3 lbs. It's a little heavier than I would like but it works for now. Slumberjack does make lighter modles now. Backpackgeartest.org is a good place to check out bags too. They have lots of reviews there.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 6/15/2004, 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have two Western Mountaineering bags--a Highlight 40 degree which weighs 1 pound even and an Ultralight 20 degree that weighs 1 pound 12 ounces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: