ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Cleaning hydration systems?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 11:55 am    Post subject: Cleaning hydration systems? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Help, I loaned my camelback out and it came back with black mold in the mouth piece. I don't generally clean my bladdars, I will open them and hang them to dry after use.

How do you clean these things and how do I get rid of the black mold? I could replace the mouthpiece, which I still may do, but now I want to know how others clean their systems? TIA, Mary
evenstar

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I run a bleach mixture through mine, hose mouthpiece and all, before hanging it to dry. 1/4 cup bleach to about two quarts water.....Rinse very thoroughly after. I also take the mouthpiece completely apart to dry and disconnect the hose from the bladder and from the mouthpiece.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 12:09 pm    Post subject: cleaning Reply to topic Reply with quote

Baking soda with a handfull of raw rice shook around for a few minutes inside will clean and scrub things pretty well. I've read that denture cleaner tablets do a fine job too.

Wow, black mold? That's some pretty nasty backwash there Shi.

GTG
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think the camelback was left in a warm place with water left in it. I know black mold can be real nasty on the body. I'll try these, to see if it will work. Mary
GTG

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 12:34 pm    Post subject: bleach and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

That mold will leave a stain forever I'm afraid. Don't leave the bleach mixture in the bladder for more than an hour or so. The bleach will stain it a pretty, chlorine, yellow color. Don't use no name bleach is my experience. WalMart bleach made my bladder taste like diazinon. That's bug spray. Those effervesent tabs for dentures might pull out the stains.

GTG
desertgirl

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mary

Check this out
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Search?storeId=8000&query=*&cat=4500805

I have the long scrub wire that works well in getting the black stuff out of the hose.
evenstar

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: bleach and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
WalMart bleach made my bladder taste like diazinon. That's bug spray.
GTG

I ain't gonna ask how you know that 'cause I don't wanna know!
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mary, get a cleaning kit. I always use hot soapy water and run the brush through the hose. I also brush out the inside with hot soapy water. Then for the mouth piece, I put it into a bowl periodically in hot water with a tbs. of bleach and let it sit for a couple of hrs. After that I scrub the inside with a pipe cleaner to get any remaining mold out.
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
roger

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

WalMart bleach made my bladder taste like diazinon

If Todd has tasted diazinon..... that explains many things. Yes

roger
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mary.....

I seem to remember this topic creeping into our campfire chatter up on the rim. I agree with the above and use a diluted bleach/water solution and then hang it up to dry. I have one bladder I use strictly for water and clean after every few times of use, the other I put Powerade, Gookinade or Gatorade in it and clean after every use.

Black mold is not a good thing and I would seriously consider replacing the tube and mouthpiece completely.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trish I've had it in the mouthpiece of the bladder that I normally fill with Gookinade. After washing in hot soapy water, scrubbing and soaking in the diluted bleach/water it comes clean. Now that I know the electrolytes are a major cause for the mold built up, I keep on top of it, and like you I clean it after every use, that seems to take care of the problem.

GB
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
GTG

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: bleach and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
GTG wrote:
WalMart bleach made my bladder taste like diazinon. That's bug spray.
GTG

I ain't gonna ask how you know that 'cause I don't wanna know!

I'm gonna tell you anyway.

roger wrote:
Quote:

WalMart bleach made my bladder taste like diazinon

If Todd has tasted diazinon..... that explains many things. Yes

roger

I used to run a 10,000 sq ft. greenhouse. I've had all types of poison everywhere. It used to make for interesting evenings Years ago when I was 18 or so in my party years, I'd usually end up dosing a row of plants just before I went out for the evening. Man, those were the days. Upsidedown

GTG
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree with the black mold, I know it can make you very sick. I'm not willing to test that out on a trail, so I am going to replace the mouth piece. I just want to get the slime out of the bag. I think the 2 solutions above will help. I don't put anything other than water in my bags. I'm sure it will be just fine. Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm was literally clueless. Mary
desertgirl

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I ususally have a Nalgene that I use to have my electrolytes ...Its way easier to clean and I dont have to worry about mold due to adding electrolites in my water baldder
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

After I did my Rim-Rim-Rim I didn't use my daypack for a month. The bladder had been left almost empty with Gookinaid mix in it. I didn't see any mold but I saw some crazy goo/ameiba/jelly fish like stuff floating around in my Nalgene bottle and all it had was water in it. I just used some bleach to clean it out and it seems fine now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: