ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
hydration insulation set up
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 6:00 pm    Post subject: REI PV store Reply to topic Reply with quote

Let me know how you make out. I might have to end up going there or better yet, try the web site for the MSR Drom bag. However, I was hoping to have it in time for my weekend trek but that may not be possible.
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
Kim

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know, i'm in the same boat with wanting the hydrations system and my poles by this weekend. some internet sites ship within 24 hrs, but i'm just so comfortable with REI's return policy and all that. I'll let u know. Meanwhile, i'm sure you're excited about using your new stove!
Kim

PostPosted: 5/27/2004, 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sun Hiker, went to REI PV tonight and I didn't see any MSR Drom bags. I don't know if they even carry them. when i tried to find someone to ask, everyone seemed busy. i ended up getting the Day Star Camelbak-not what I had planned. It was on sale from $sixty-something, I think for $45. It's bigger than i planned, so we'll see how it goes for running, but i like the size pack for a 1/2 day hike. my thought is it's usually better to go bigger than smaller, esp so you don't damage the bladder by stuffing things. The bag is made for women and has a strap at the bottom that goes above the waiste, I guess. It's above my waiste, anyway. the woman said that's how it's supposed to fit, although she didn't work in that department. The picture shows it fitting around a ladie's waiste, but another picture shows it fitting higher from the waiste. I'll have to see how i like it. I can use the bladder for backpacking, anyway, too, and eventually i'm sure i'll also buy that drom bag.
ghoster

PostPosted: 5/28/2004, 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Popular outdoors on Indian school at 20th street, I think. They have the MSR Drom lite bags in various capacities, I was there on Monday afternoon.
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 5/28/2004, 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kim and ghoster, thanks for the update, I won't bother going to PV then. I think I will go to Popular. One of the other reasons I want that MSR Drom bag is when I camped with Mary I saw how convenient one can filter water directly into it.

GB
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 5/28/2004, 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Okay you all drove me to it. Mr. Green My old PUR Hiker filter was needing to be replaced and you can't clean them when they are plugged. I have been thinking of options lately and finally crumbled. I picked up an MSR Miniworks EX. It fits the threads on the MSR bags and the wide Nagalene. One thing I never liked on the Hiker was the dangling hose for the fresh water. I was always afraid I would touch it on some non purified water and contaminate the entire supply. Now I can just screw the pump right onto the bag. Shown with the 6 liter Drom bag and Miniworks filter are the cover for the filter when not on the bag to keep those threads from contamination and the new spigot cap I got. I also have the hydration hose but didn't want to make the photo too busy. Good system. I like the way the Miniworks pumps. The Hiker could be a bit awkward at times but was a good filter as well. The Miniworks can be cleaned in the field if it becomes plugged, a real plus in the silty waters of southern Utah canyon country or many of the sources in the desert at times.

Kim, it sounds like you scored a real nice running/hiking hydration system as well.
Kim

PostPosted: 5/28/2004, 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glen, yah, my Camelback will be decent for now. I have the same filter,. For now, i just screw it on my Nalgenes, then dump the nalgenes in my camelbak and larger water bags. i may be looking into the drom bag in the future, i think, though, for this purpose. i got the camelbak more because it was the pack and bladder in one. i do like that filter, though. I think you'll like it. nice picture, by the way. i'm not that technical-as u can see, i still don't even have my picture up on the site!
Kim

PostPosted: 6/1/2004, 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

used the day star camelbak's bladder for my florida canyon-wrightson hike. bladder did it's job. i think the size pack will come in handy for smaller day hikes. as far as running, it was a bit bulky, but worked. i'll have to try it, again to see. today, i went back to using the .5 ltr bottle in my hand. i think i would've got more running use out of something less bulky and complicated that i could just throw on without all the buckles... then, there's the cleaning...
for now, it's fine. hiking gear is kinda like gardening. trial and error-talk to different people try different things.
paintninaz

PostPosted: 6/2/2004, 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

For those interested, I was at the PV REI this past weekend and they do have the MSR Drom bags, they had 4L, 6L and 10L sizes...they were in the same aisle as the water filters, just a little more to the west. Mr. Green

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 6/2/2004, 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Drom bag ended my leaking Platipi problem, plus I filter directly into it by pluging the tube into the bottom of my First Need filter. You can pump it to maximum capacity that way. The plastic platty's kept leaking, probably 4 or 5, then Hnak showed me his Dromedary and I got a serious case of gear envy. Living happily ever after now!
Kim

PostPosted: 6/2/2004, 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

paintninaz wrote:
For those interested, I was at the PV REI this past weekend and they do have the MSR Drom bags, they had 4L, 6L and 10L sizes...they were in the same aisle as the water filters, just a little more to the west. Mr. Green

sorry and thanks. i didn't see them there!
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 6/2/2004, 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mary's MSR bladder is great for a light shower, as well, from what I saw of it on our trip to Barnhardt. Very useful for a variety of tasks.
Kim, I have also looked into bladder packs, I have seen many complaints about Camelback's backpack systems, (that would not stop me from buying one, however) the Unbottle, 100 oz is my favorite. Keeps fluids colder for a nice back-cooling system. Large opening for powders, ice cubes too.
If you want a straight bladder pack, look at Osprey and Deuter. The latter has about 40 packs on the market, although hard to find in stores, they have something for everyone, and made in Germany, not China. Just a suggestion Very Happy

what i do
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: