ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
hydration insulation set up
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kim

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 12:37 pm    Post subject: hydration insulation set up Reply to topic Reply with quote

i'm trying to decide which camelback to get. i had a hydropack in the past and the seams started coming undone. I figure I may as well spend some extra money on a hydration system, but am unsure which to buy. I've been told that the insulated camelbacks that are made purposefully for backpacking are great because they won't perspire in your back. I also would like a system that I could run with and it would stay in place pretty much and that I could take on day hikes. I'm not sure if i really need to buy 2-3 different systems or not. A friend said she heard that if you cut a piece of the sun blocker that we use on the windshield of our cars to wrap around your regular dayhike camelback and that will help insulate it and help it from leaking in your pack (unless, ofcourse, you have a big leak). any ideas on this method and on how many camelbacks are necessary for multiuse stuff? thx!
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kim: I just bought a Camelback "Unbottle". I prefer it to the Platypus bladders I've used in the past. It comes with an insulated cover that has a number of D-rings to tie the unit to a pack. I was impressed on a recent multi-day hike, how well it kept the water cold. It is not large enough to cover all of your water needs for a hot long day hike or a multi-day hike, however.

I carry additional water in Nalgene lexan bottles, 1 liter sized. I've found that they don't leak, are bombproof, and also don't retain odors or flavors from other fluids, such as Irish whiskey that you sometimes feel the need for on a long hike.

I have had problems with Platypus bladders leaking through seams or around connections. So far, no such problems with the Unbottle. Price was right too, at about $30. It can go inside a packor fasten on the outside if room is an issue. i prefer to select a pack on it's own merits, rather than buy a one piece bladder/pack unit, which I don't think are up to the quality of packs made my the major pack firms. -R
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Same here on the pack issue CV. My Mountainsmith Wraith is hydration ready.

I use the MSR Drom bag setup.

Tough as can be and you can get them in any size from 2 liters to 10 liters. I use the 4 or the 6 liter for my hikes and backpacks. I got a spigot cap for it and showering on a backpack is easy. They do make a shower attachment for it but the regular cap does okay and the spigot cap is awesome. Just add the hydration hose and you're all set for anything.
Kim

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

i also use Nalgenes. and these bags you both mentioned don't perspire, it looks like? i'm wondering what pack would be good to put them in for running. with the hydropack i had, the chest buckle would run up to my neck when i ran with it. the waiste buckle, being so high, didn't seem to do anything, either.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nagalenes are good. The Drom bag doesn't perspire. I don't particularly like the cap that comes with them as I had a lot of leak problems but they do carry a lot of water and are very robust. I didn't have any problem with the hydration hose leaking so far anyway.

I just got back from The Summit Hut here in Tucson and saw something you may like a lot more as a runner. It was called the Camelback Stowaway. You could put it in or lash it to any pack. It is totally insulated including the hose and holds two liters. I have not used Camelback but have hear many good reviews on them. Check it out.
Kim

PostPosted: 5/25/2004, 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I bought the Camelback Peak Bagger the other night and used it to climb Humphrey last weekend. I think it'll be a decent size bag to go up Whitney with along with a little larger back that either I or my hubby will carry. The fit was comfy and it's working out so far. I'm still going to buy a smaller one for running that I can double up as a backpacking/hiking camelback, too, tho. the unbottle, stowaway, and drom bag all sound good. decisions, decisions...
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I love my MSR Drom bag. When empty it packs into near nothing. When full, it doubles as a pillow. I've even used it as a hot water bottle and an ice pack at home, works a whole lot better than frozen peas. Laughing What I don't like about it, is the cap, as mentions before: it seems bulky and catches on things when I'm packing it in my backpack. I've also had a small leak. I'm not sure if I didn't tighten the cap well enough, or if it comes loose with friction when I'm doing longer treks. The material of the bladdar, looks like it will stand up to my rough use. I've had my MSR a year now and it's my favorite hydration system, with the least amount of trouble for me.

I have a camelback as well, I find that the hose will start to come unattached at the bladdar end, when on a longer trek, and will leak. I do however like the on/off bite valve.

I generally hike with my MSR and a Nalgen (the soft plastic, sorry don't know what it's called). I'll use my Nalgen for my sports drinks. I have broken the hard plastic Nalgen (I thought they were indestructible). I had fallen down with a heavy pack on, and landed on a rock, well, actually bounced and slide my way down a rocky area. I also use my Nalgen with a thermal cover when backpacking. I'll fill it with hot tea. I have tea to drink thru the night and when I get cold, I'll pull the thermal off the bottle and use the hot Nalgen to heat up my sleeping bag.

I've also used the Platypus bladders. Everyone of the bags (maybe total of 4-5) I've had, have sprung a leak. The bags don't seem to stand up well, at least for me. When they are empty, I want to compact them as small as I can and they will spring a leak after several foldings (eventually).

I really think I should be a field tester for hydration systems. I've been able to somehow, make most of them fail. It's the MSR that I like the best. I just always have to make sure the seal is on tight.

Mary
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 8:45 am    Post subject: Hydration system Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mary, I will have to get a MSR Drom bag after hearing all the good reviews.
I agree with you on the Platypus, each one I have owned, ended up leaking big time. I do like the Camelback bladder for their large opening. Makes it easy to clean but as I found out, I always have to be careful that the cap is seated correctly plus as you mentioned the hose likes to come off at times. Found out the hard way.

GB
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
Hnak

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll second everything Mary said about the MSR Dromedary bags. I have 3, two 4-liter bags, and a 6-liter bag. They are pretty much indestructable, and make a great pillow. The only time I had one leak, I just got a new cap (the small one with the spout) for it, and no more leaks. With the hose adapter in place of the small cap, it works like a large, bullet-proof Camelback...
I also carry a single Nalgene bottle to use with my filter, and to drink from at meal time... Hank
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hank, I'm not sure what kind of filter you use, but I filter straight into my 4 liter MSR bag, I run the hose right into the small spout that I use for the drinking hose (not using the large fill area). It works great, but I also don't generally over fill my bag, however I have filled to capacity without spilling any of the filtered water. I really could go without my Nalgene, but I have an attachment to it's uses (hot water bottle, tea during the night and my sports drink during the day, my sierra cup fits perfectly over the Nalgene bottle too, which is what I use for my cooking pot and is nested inside the thermal covering to the Nalgene). Mary
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I also like the MSR Dromeadry bags, and as Mary, I like to filter my water directly into it while backpacking.
evenstar

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Arizonaheat wrote:
I also like the MSR Dromeadry bags, and as Mary, I like to filter my water directly into it while backpacking.

That's what I did at Reavis Ranch. Also have a connector that allows me to filter directly into my Camelbak bladder through the hose.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Kim

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

yah, that drom bag sure sounds good, esp for backpacking. it doesn't come with the pack, though. i'm wondering if i might have to end up buying a larger drom for hikes/backpacking trips and buying the classic camelback for running. i went to REI today and they didn't seem to have the drom, either. also, their classic camelback was $40 where i've seen it $30 or $35 on line, but then u have shipping if u don't order much and u can't beat REI's return policy! the equipment buying never ends.
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just got back from REI in Tempe. Unfortunately they had no MSR Drom bags left Sad Got myself a real small (Snow Peak Gigapower) stove at a good price due to the 20% discount coupon Very Happy . The place was packed and the pickings are getting slim.

GB
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
Kim

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GB, thx for checking, anyway! i'll be going to the Paradise Valley REI tomorrow for the 1st time, since i need a map of Mt Wrightson for our backpacking trip this weekend. (Tempe store doesn't make maps and doesn't have that map). Since the PV store is larger, I'm hoping there will be more choices.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: